It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underage refugee rape victims barred from abortions because it's 'in their best interest'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
News like this makes me feel like we're really just monkies with advanced communication skills. Millions of people all over the world dream about living in the most advanced country in the world where someone like Roy Moore almost became a U.S. senator, where rape victims can be barred from abortions by religious nuts, and where millions of religious fanatics would be delighted to turn their country into a Christian version of Saudi Arabia. This news story is a little taste of that.

Why is the choice between left and right increasingly coming down to liberal insanity versus religious insanity? We get to choose between people who rail against gender normativity on one hand and those who rail against basic human rights such as abortion in rape cases on the other. We literally are left picking the poison that we find to be less deadly.

Speaking of poison, both the Obama administration and the Trump administration have had the same policy about covering up the effects of the Fukushima disaster. We're literally getting poisoned either way.

The administration of US President Donald Trump has said it bars abortions for refugee minors who were raped because it is in their “best interest”.

According to court documents in the case of a 17-year-old alleged rape victim in federal detention who tried to get an abortion, the head of the US Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) and noted anti-abortion activist E. Scott Lloyd said in a memo: "I am convinced that assisting with an abortion in this case is not in her best interest.”
Link

edit on 22-12-2017 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Millions of people all over the world dream about living in the most advanced country in the world where someone like Roy Moore almost became a U.S. Senator, where rape victims can be barred from abortions by religious nuts, and where millions of religious fanatics would be delighted to turn their country into a Christian version of Saudi Arabia.

Almost ?

A rapist named Bill Clinton became president.

Not helping the cause with selective history.

1. Sexual misconduct: Scandals involving sexual misdeeds by prominent men are nothing new in America, but there's never been anything remotely like the deluge of allegations unleashed this year by women who were emboldened to speak out by the accusers who preceded them. Luminaries toppled from their perches included movie magnate Harvey Weinstein, media stars Bill O'Reilly, Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose, and several celebrity chefs and members of Congress.

finance.yahoo.com...

It's not a problem endemic of a single side.

As to the Independent article. Page not found.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

I read the title and thought "what the hell kind of third-world country is denying abortions to rape victim refugees?"

I totally wasn't expecting this to be about the US.
edit on 22-12-2017 by Abysha because: claryfyngingngngnging.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Almost ?

I consider both Clinton and Moore to be innocent until proven guilty in court. I was referring to Moore's beliefs about slavery, the U.S. Constitution, and women.

In June 2011, Roy Moore suggested on a radio show that getting rid of constitutional amendments after the Tenth would solve many issues in the way the US government is structured.

"That would eliminate many problems," Moore said after one of the hosts of the "Aroostook Watchmen" suggested it. "You know people don't understand how some of these amendments have completely tried to wreck the form of government that our forefathers intended."

Moore singled out the 17th Amendment, according to an audio file obtained by CNN's KFile, which calls for the direct election of US Senators. (A complaint he mentioned on Sunday during an unrelated interview ahead of Tuesday's special Senate election on Alabama.) He also took issue with the 14th Amendment, which was passed after the Civil War and guarantees citizenship, equal rights and protection under the law to former slaves, claiming it put undue restrictions on the states.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The link in the OP isn't working?

Now it is, lol.

And I am disgusted.

She wasn't a minor, though.

A federal judge ruled in favour of Ms Poe after it was discovered she is 19 years old, not 17.

She got to have the abortion. But I think if you're old enough to get pregnant and marry and in some states you can marry and be a minor(I think?), then I think you are old enough to choose. And when you rob that choice from a minor who was already raped, you're raping them again... just in a different way.
edit on 22-12-2017 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Millions of people all over the world dream about living in the most advanced country in the world where someone like Roy Moore almost became a U.S. Senator, where rape victims can be barred from abortions by religious nuts, and where millions of religious fanatics would be delighted to turn their country into a Christian version of Saudi Arabia.

Almost ?

1. Sexual misconduct: Scandals involving sexual misdeeds by prominent men are nothing new in America, but there's never been anything remotely like the deluge of allegations unleashed this year by women who were emboldened to speak out by the accusers who preceded them. Luminaries toppled from their perches included movie magnate Harvey Weinstein, media stars Bill O'Reilly, Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose, and several celebrity chefs and members of Congress.

finance.yahoo.com...

He actually made mention of both sides; but anything to attack democrats, right?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Why should US taxpayers foot the bill for her abortion?

If she's in federal detention, it sounds like she's an illegal immigrant to me. Calling her a "refuge" doesn't entitle her to my tax dollars.

Over the wall!

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

The administration of US President Donald Trump has said it bars abortions for refugee minors who were raped because it is in their “best interest”.

When they say its in "their" best interests, they mean Their Bu$ine$$ intere$t. Refugees have no insurance, can't collect for 'service provided'.

Its not about Trump, left vs. right or rape, Its about the friggin money.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I don't know much about it but also just now thinking about it, there's a baby being born in the united states... born in poverty, another mouth to feed, another body to take care of. IDK much but that sounds pretty costly to me. Who gonna feed and clothe the children being born? But, since it's born in the united states... it's a citizen?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Is it liberal insanity??

Or has the right wing media just done a masterful job of painting their opponents with the propaganda brush????

Are you mad at actual liberal policies, or what the Fox newstypes are telling us they want to do??

For example..

Colin Kapernick knees to protest police brutality/accountability toward black people BECOMES , those who kneel hate the military!!

The democrats say they want to ban the NEW sale of assault rifles , leaving the millions in circulation still perfectly legal due to a grandfather clause BECOMES, they want to repeal the second amendment and go door to door confiscating all the guns!

I’m not saying the liberals are perfect, or benevolent, exc..
but in most cases the beliefs rightwing media assign to the left are not real..

They take individual cases of random college kids or Facebook commentors with zero authority and pretend they speak for all liberals..

It’s an old , old, old demagogue trick politicians have been using since Athens..

It’s things like these that make me just rabidly anti-conservative propaganda..

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Illegal immigrants should not be given abortions on tax payer dime.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

nice try, but I don't think so.
at least one of the girls had finding for the procedure.
so they started griping about the cost of the transportation.
a solution to that was found
they stiil griped...
www.cnn.com...
it really has no relationship to the cost of the abortion, of which, since the girl was a victim of rape, there may have been exceptions to any laws preventing the use of gov't funding.
they just didn't want her to have the abortion... on religious grounds would be my guess.
since the great christian right group liberty council claimed that trump should ignore court orders that decreed these kids shouldn't be blocked from getting the abortion they wanted.

www.rightwingwatch.org...

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Nice try, but it's still US taxpayer dollars for people other than Americans.

No.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
“Muh Tax Dollars are more important than rape victims!!!”

Do some of you even listen to yourselves at all?
What a bunch of weirdos you truly are.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

you must be talking about the taxdollars that are keeping them prisoners in the detention center...
because the abortion was funded by private funding, as was the transportation.
and if it's really the fact that they are using taxpayer money for non-americans...
then well, guess you have no problem if the girl falls down the stairs and breaks her legs that we just ignore it and not give her medical care???

ya know, if my memory serves me right, some of the girls that have been refused have been much younger than these girls are, young enough that it would be much safer to give her a timely abortion than it would to let her go on with the pregnancy.

edit on 22-12-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Almost ?

finance.yahoo.com...

As to the Independent article. Page not found.

Grab 'em by the what???
You can do whatever because why????

Selective history, indeed...

Or FAKE NEWS!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Why should US taxpayers foot the bill for her abortion?

If she's in federal detention, it sounds like she's an illegal immigrant to me. Calling her a "refuge" doesn't entitle her to my tax dollars.

Over the wall!

Considering you make far more than I do, yet my taxes are a pinch and I am of the more numerous lower class...my tax dollars are paying you to bitch about your tax dollars in a disproportionate level.

So who's opinion is more valid?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

Illegal immigrants should not be given abortions on tax payer dime.

So the kid is born here and becomes a us citizen. Then you have to support the whole family.

Awesome logic there, chief.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Meh, its the holidays. Makes the residents nuts!

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Is it liberal insanity??

Or has the right wing media just done a masterful job of painting their opponents with the propaganda brush????

Are you mad at actual liberal policies, or what the Fox newstypes are telling us they want to do??

For example..

Colin Kapernick knees to protest police brutality/accountability toward black people BECOMES , those who kneel hate the military!!

The democrats say they want to ban the NEW sale of assault rifles , leaving the millions in circulation still perfectly legal due to a grandfather clause BECOMES, they want to repeal the second amendment and go door to door confiscating all the guns!

I’m not saying the liberals are perfect, or benevolent, exc..
but in most cases the beliefs rightwing media assign to the left are not real..

They take individual cases of random college kids or Facebook commentors with zero authority and pretend they speak for all liberals..

It’s an old , old, old demagogue trick politicians have been using since Athens..

It’s things like these that make me just rabidly anti-conservative propaganda..

it's been like this for a while, especially here on ATS....case in point?......2nd post of this thread from neo 96.....bringing up bill Clinton, as if this is somehow related to the opening post.......

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join