It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heard of the Deep Space Gateway?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: Raggedyman
The moon is full of what minerals?
Any info about what is up there that isn't just hearsay

Oxygen is the most abundant mineral on the moon. Contained in mineral oxides.
Lunar geology
Hearsay from me. But you can look it up.

Well I have received many answers that I am grateful for, thanks and to all those others who replied
Good info

Just seems very expensive to mine
Maybe if they set up processors on the moon, but long term I suppose

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I could have originally just called it the element Oxygen and saved all the trouble, but talking of the moon and it's minerals is commonly referred to for everything on the moon.

You could and you should, specially when you were "correcting" another member, even your link shows Oxygen is not a mineral.

Regardless of what is is, the fact is that the Moon also have lots of it. The Earth has more, but in this case what's important is that if it's already there then it's easier (and cheaper) to extract it there than transport it all the way from Earth to the Moon.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Just seems very expensive to mine
Maybe if they set up processors on the moon, but long term I suppose

That's what they call "In-Situ Resource Utilization."

As you can see on the link, they have been thinking about that for a long time.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

The link shows that any element or compounds together in mineral form are referred to as minerals. Only oxygen by itself is not a mineral, and there is NO elemental oxygen on the moon, or very little of it. It is all in the form of oxides, which makes it a mineral just like aluminum, and Iron, and silicon are called minerals of the moon because they are not in elemental form, but do exist there as minerals.

That is in a nutshell is why the word mineral is used.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

By who (or should it be "whom")?

Your link says that, to be considered a mineral it must be crystalline, so unless there's solid Oxygen on the Moon I don't think it will be in crystalline form.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Your link says that, to be considered a mineral it must be crystalline, so unless there's solid Oxygen on the Moon I don't think it will be in crystalline form.

That is completely wrong. Oxygen IS in crystalline form on the moon, and that is where you find it, and why the word mineral is used.
Even water ICE is a crystalline. And ice is even called a mineral.Here's a new link that might help, even though you seem to be resisting understanding of the use of the word mineral.

minerals

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

That is completely wrong. Oxygen IS in crystalline form on the moon, and that is where you find it, and why the word mineral is used.
Even water ICE is a crystalline. And ice is even called a mineral.Here's a new link that might help, even though you seem to be resisting understanding of the use of the word mineral.

minerals

While we're at it, Iron and Calcium are supplements.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Pure Oxygen?

Even water ICE is a crystalline. And ice is even called a mineral.

True, but there's no solid Oxygen on the Moon.

Here's a new link that might help, even though you seem to be resisting understanding of the use of the word mineral.

minerals

I'm still waiting for an example of the use of "mineral Oxygen" by scientists, just that, and the links you post do not support what you're saying.

From your link:

Definition of mineral.
A naturally occuring solid consisting of a single element or compound.

In this case it would be naturally occurring Oxygen crystals, as you are talking about "mineral Oxygen".

Just because an element is in a compound that makes a mineral doesn't give the name of that element to the mineral, although it may give it part of the name.

A little below it says:

Why are water, oxygen, honey, and teeth not considered to be minerals?
Water is a liquid. Honey is a liquid and is organic. Oxygen is a gas. Teeth are organic. They all don't have a crystalline structure.

I think that's enough for now.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Merry Christmas Everone!

posted on Jan, 2 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

yes the moon is full of various materials some there naturally so deposited for billions of years by impacts.

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

www.explainingthefuture.com... but it does work in fusion reactions

Helium-3 and Nuclear Fusion To provide a little background -- and without getting deeply into the science -- all nuclear power plants use a nuclear reaction to produce heat. This is used to turn water into steam that then drives a turbine to produce electricity. Current nuclear power plants have nuclear fission reactors in which uranium nuclei are split part. This releases energy, but also radioactivity and spent nuclear fuel that is reprocessed into uranium, plutonium and radioactive waste which has to be safety stored, effectively indefinitely. An overview of this nuclear fuel cycle can be found here. For over 40 years scientists have been working to create nuclear power from nuclear fusion rather than nuclear fission. In current nuclear fusion reactors, the hydrogen isotopes tritium and deuterium are used as the fuel, with atomic energy released when their nuclei fuse to create helium and a neutron. Nuclear fusion effectively makes use of the same energy source that fuels the Sun and other stars, and does not produce the radioactivity and nuclear waste that is the by-product of current nuclear fission power generation. However, the so-termed "fast" neutrons released by nuclear fusion reactors fuelled by tritium and deuterium lead to significant energy loss and are extremely difficult to contain. One potential solution may be to use helium-3 and deuterium as the fuels in "aneutronic" (power without neutrons) fusion reactors. The involved nuclear reaction here when helium-3 and deuterium fuse creates normal helium and a proton, which wastes less energy and is easier to contain. Nuclear fusion reactors using helium-3 could therefore provide a highly efficient form of nuclear power with virtually no waste and no radiation. A short wall chart explaining this in more detail can be found here. The aforementioned fission and fusion nuclear reactions are also illustrated in animations in my Mining the Moon video. Mining Helium-3 on the Moon One of many problems associated with using helium-3 to create energy via nuclear fusion is that, at least on the Earth, helium-3 is very, very rare indeed. Helium-3 is produced as a by-product of the maintenance of nuclear weapons, which could net a supply of around 15Kg a year. Helium-3 is, however, emitted by the Sun within its solar winds. Our atmosphere prevents any of this helium-3 arriving on the Earth. However, as it does not have an atmosphere, there is nothing to stop helium-3 arriving on the surface of the Moon and being absorbed by the lunar soil. As a result, it has been estimated that there are around 1,100,000 metric tonnes of helium-3 on the surface of the Moon down to a depth of a few metres. This helium-3 could potentially be extracted by heating the lunar dust to around 600 degrees C, before bringing it back to the Earth to fuel a new generation of nuclear fusion power plants. As reported in an Artemis Project paper, about 25 tonnes of helium-3 -- or a fully-loaded Space Shuttle cargo bay's worth -- could power the United States for a year. This means that helium-3 has a potential economic value in the order of $3bn a tonne -- making it the only thing remotely economically viable to consider mining from the Moon given current and likely-near-future space travel technologies and capabilities.

www.popsci.com...

m.esa.int... so if we can get it and design the right tech its a pretty good source of power with very few negatives

top topics

<< 1   >>

join