It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Stefan Molyneux interview by Alex Jones illustrates the biggest problem with media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The biggest problem with media today in my view is that everyone is spinning everything all the time. I think almost everyone expects that from mainstream media, so they turn to independent voices such as Stefan Molyneux, Alex Jones, Jeff Rense, Lionel of Lionel Nation, Styxhexenhammer666, Peter Schiff, Paul Craig Roberts, Bill Still, Tim Rifat, Gerald Celente, David Icke, etc.

I've heard every one of those people spin and distort facts and/or contradict themselves exactly the way the mainstream media does. I want to know where we're supposed to turn for truth in media.

The following Stefan Molyneux interview by Alex Jones illustrates the problem perfectly. I can't see how Stefan Molyneux and Alex Jones can possibly believe what they're saying about the supposed terrific job they think Trump is doing by making multinational corporations stronger, more powerful, and more capable of taking over even more of the world. Rooting that on is the antithesis of the messages that made them famous. I'm including a couple of videos at the bottom of this post as evidence of that.

I realize this is a weak example. Alex Jones is widely considered to be a joke (although not by President Trump), and one can make a good case for Stefan Molyneux being a cult leader. I understand those issues. My problem is that there appears to be almost no one in any media who isn't spinning the truth anymore. What do we do about that?

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-12-2017 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

Massive Market Opportunities ......Get It ? Social Issues Generate Debate , thus Generating Revenue for those who are in the News Reporting Business . If you have a Problem Comprehending that , then C'est la vie ...............

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

If everyone in media is just in it for money, then we've completely lost as a society, and there's no hope at all for real improvement. I realize that odds are that some of the people I listed in the original post are in media just for money, but I know for a fact that almost all of them go out of their way to make it clear to everyone that they are not just in it for money. I believe most of them about that.

Now that you've been so unnecessarily rude, would you mind giving your opinion on the main question I was asking? Your red herring did nothing for this thread.

My problem is that there appears to be almost no one in any media who isn't spinning the truth anymore. What do we do about that?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
we aren't supposed to get the real story.
ever.

if we knew what was going on, we'd have hung the entire government by now. the bankers would hand their heads on pikes lining main street

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

You Do Understand that Economics is a Science , Right ? Lies are Eaten Up by the Gullible , but a Kernel of Truth Pays Big Time ..............Get a Clue SONNY........
edit on 21-12-2017 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

You gave me another red herring. Prove to me that macroeconomics is a science.

Here are some arguments against macroeconomics being a science:

www.motherjones.com...#/

economistsview.typepad.com...

I already know you can't prove that macroeconomics is a science, so what's your next red herring?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The independent voices in media try to cut through that fact, and they often do. Sometimes they do it nearly every day.

Unfortunately, those voices are being shut down more and more. It seems like every week I hear about independent reporters being banned from YouTube, being limited in what they can say, and/or quitting YouTube on their own.

Again, there appears to be almost no one in any media who isn't spinning the truth anymore. What do we do about that?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym
What do we do about that?

Socio-Agnosticism based journalism.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-12-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

If everyone in media is just in it for money, then we've completely lost as a society, and there's no hope at all for real improvement. I realize that odds are that some of the people I listed in the original post are in media just for money, but I know for a fact that almost all of them go out of their way to make it clear to everyone that they are not just in it for money. I believe most of them about that.

Alex Jones isn't in it for the money? Please...

www.infowarsshop.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

a reply to: lordcomac

The independent voices in media try to cut through that fact, and they often do. Sometimes they do it nearly every day.

Unfortunately, those voices are being shut down more and more. It seems like every week I hear about independent reporters being banned from YouTube, being limited in what they can say, and/or quitting YouTube on their own.

Again, there appears to be almost no one in any media who isn't spinning the truth anymore. What do we do about that?

I suppose you'd start by punishing criminals.
we've seen a bunch of people executed for trying to expose the truth behind the Clinton foundation.
perhaps if the government wasn't hiding the truth behind those criminals we might have a place to start.

remember, US media is under total government control now.
thanks, obama...

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The media has always been spinning things. The difference is that there are now many more alternative channels with alternative spins. Anyone can now publish on the Internet. Society is fractured into subcultures who watch different news shows, if they even watch MSN anymore, different YouTubers, etc.

A sort of illusion of truth has been shattered. The Internet and cheaper technology in general empowers users think for themselves, but people are generally not too good at doing that. So we've entered into an age of confusion. As a society I believe we are still wired to be told what to think, maybe just because it's super hard and time consuming to get informed about every different topic so you can make up your own mind. That's what we have journalists for. But now there's a range of outlets available easily and we can choose whatever spin we'd like to be true.

Just deal with it. This is the price of freedom. We just need learn how to think for ourselves.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Alex Jones is a great media artist. He is good at coming up with spins on stories that enrage his listeners. An enraged listener is and engaged listener. It's not that you have to play to your audience to succeed in ratings. It's that you have to PLAY your audience. Alex Jones plays his audience. He get's good ratings. Good ratings equals money.

edit on 21-12-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I think the OP is right that we have a misinformation problem, but often it's not that the information is wrong, its how its framed.

Humans will draw conclusions and associations with story framing. That's just something we do.

It doesn't help we're living in an age which is bombarding us with copious amounts of information in a way that humans weren't designed to handle or process efficiently.

It might be unsolvable.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
"What do we do about that?"

The same thing you do to all liars--don't listen to them anymore.

Most of the world's problems would be solved if we simply ignored everything the media produces.

People wouldn't hate each other so much anymore which, if you've been paying attention at all, seems to be their goal--to keep us at each others' throats, leaving them to do what they will with boys named Corey and no one really cares because it's all so entertaining.

You will never get the truth from the media. You won't get it from your school and you sure as hell will never get it from the state.

If it's truth you want, you must look within you and above you. And stop listening to everyone else.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

www.infowarsshop.com...

If dude truly believes in, lives by his products, who can knock it?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

My problem is that there appears to be almost no one in any media who isn't spinning the truth anymore. What do we do about that?

Create our own presses. Start our own media channels.
Except we dont have the time or money, and in some cases the talents or motivation to do such a thing.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: olaru12

www.infowarsshop.com...

If dude truly believes in, lives by his products, who can knock it?

Not me. I'm also a friend of capitalism, the free market, free speech, and the right to make a fool of yourself if you so choose.

I admire AJ for taking a public access channel call in show in Austin, and turning it into an empire worth millions.
His performance is amazing.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MayanBoricua

Create our own presses. Start our own media channels.
Except we dont have the time or money, and in some cases the talents or motivation to do such a thing.

Actually you can start up a production company with little of no money or experience.
If you have a story to tell, a message to deliver, or just want to impress the chicks by being a Cable TV producer/director, worked for me; shot my first feature film using their gear, and friends I made taking the classes.

do it like Alex Jones by starting here.....

edit on 22-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Instead of creating hard and fast rules to discount whole news organizations, how about training yourself how to properly detect propaganda and spin? One of these days, the conspiracy theory crowd needs to wake up and realize there is no literally no such thing as unbiased reporting. There never has been and there never will be. You get your news by intelligently applying critical thinking to stories to get the details.

Usually, however, this results in MSM media being more factual than alternative media. So this line of thinking gets rejected and we continue in the "trust no media" circle jerk some more.

new topics

top topics

join