It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Passes Continued Funding -- Lots of No Votes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Hasn’t the debt also increased under trump? Spending money solves a lot of problems. That’s why I’m a democrat. Debt and deficits don’t matter.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: projectvxn

So you're the authority on everything economic? There were multiple polls from outlets with both Right and Left biases. I don't think a single one was in favor of the bill. But feel free to keep acting like the majority are in favor of it.

You remind me of this person for some reason.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Technically, yes. Under Trump's first year, the debt has risen due to the budget passed during Obama's last term. We do not yet know whether or not it will balloon out of control under budgets passed during Trump's administration. This budget will be the first one. The budget, the bureaucracy, and the policies of the previous administration do not suddenly magically disappear as soon as a new President lays his hand upon a Bible. The mood of the country can change quickly, the bureaucracy will typically change a little slower depending on how fast nominees are approved, and the budgets change at the end of the fiscal year.

Laws may not change at all. The President may influence Congress, but that is not guaranteed in the Constitution.

Spending money solves a lot of problems.

I hope you have someone else looking after your affairs.

Spending money is not a cure for anything; it is only a necessary means to achieve certain ends. If I want to drive my car, I must buy gasoline to put in the tank. If I do not put gasoline in the tank, I cannot drive my car. However, it does not matter how much the gasoline costs... the car will run the same whether I pay $1.799 or $4.599 a gallon. Paying the higher price solves no problem.

Spending money one does not have can certainly cause a lot of problems, however. Debt may at times be necessary (example: to purchase a house for rental income or to start a business), but it is never, ever optimal. Optimal is to always be able to purchase without debt, thus without interest, thus at a lower price. Too much debt will always lead to bankruptcy. It has never led to anything else. The entire premise of debt is that one agrees to repay the debt at a future time, with interest. To deny that is to admit fraudulent intent.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Speaking as someone who writes the checks and does the financial statements in a business, using cash is a lazy way to address problems. You can always expend cash to address an issue, but it won't always be the most efficient use of resources.

Cash is simply a resource. Sometimes you can use elbow grease in place of cash. Or just slick thinking. Or maybe utilize some political capital instead.

But cash is simply a resource, and its the resource used most often by the person too lazy to find a more efficient resource to use.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I don’t believe your theory. We paid 17 trillion for wars so far then just yesterday added more to debt. Everyone is happy and promising jobs and good wages. And with the multi trillions trump says is in tax havens “repatriated” the US will be rolling in prosperity.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

You need to understand the link between debt, printing more money to offset that debt, and the resulting effect it has on our dollar.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I don’t care. I’m not an economist. I just know what I see. When deficits don’t matter, money is spent or distributed (rich or poor), the US does not fall, it thrives. Wall Street, from whom all blessings flow (jobs,retirement), is pleased. Let’s enjoy, no more punishing each other. Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Trump just signed the extension and the tax bill.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I don’t believe your theory.

It's not a theory. It is observable, proven, repeatable fact. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.

We paid 17 trillion for wars so far then just yesterday added more to debt. Everyone is happy and promising jobs and good wages. And with the multi trillions trump says is in tax havens “repatriated” the US will be rolling in prosperity.

I believe we will be rolling in prosperity. So does Wall Street apparently. So do many large companies apparently. But that is not due to increasing the debt, but rather to trying to reduce it. Again, would you rather have 10% of $100,000, or 5% of $500,000?

Lowering tax rates is only one part of the equation. If the GDP grows due to those lowered tax rates, actual dollars collected can increase.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Merry Christmas!

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Merry Christmas!

TheRedneck

and Happy New Year as they say.

link   

But Redneck, we just increased the debt and everyone is happy and expecting success. Deficits don’t matter. It’s just a math problem. I like that 50 yr jubilee that god commanded of the Jews. We should do that.

link   

Is your standard of living better today than it was in 2007?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah. My kids grew up and have had jobs since 2012.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

No, we did not necessarily increase the debt. You are being lied to.

Maybe the deficit will increase, but there is just as much chance it will decrease due to this tax cut. It's not possible to get exact figures of how much a certain tax bill will affect the GDP. But we do know lower taxes increase the GDP. We will have a larger base to tax; the only question is how much larger, and will it be enough to decrease the deficit?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

How is the debt going to increase ?

here's the Dec 20 Treasury Statement

edit on Dec-22-2017 by xuenchen because: q++++

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

What deficit? It’s just math.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

What deficit? It’s just math.

How is it going to increase

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Redneck told me it won’t. That the economist are lying. This is a good thing and we don’t need to cut social programs to pay for anything. Deficits don’t matter. Reagan knew that, then the fake deficit hawks started hounding him about the fake deficit and he raised taxes.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

a reply to: projectvxn

At my job is a large quantity of tree hugging liberal Trump haters, but all everyone was talking about at breaks was how the tax cuts were going to help the company and their jobs with higher pay and good things happening because of the tax cuts. Which means the polls are political nonsense unless everyone is polled, otherwise how can they be accurate? because someone represents the poll as accurate? It can't be accurate.

I'm so confused. I've been told repeatedly by Conservatives on here and elsewhere that liberals don't have jobs and don't want jobs. Based on this, I have to doubt your statement is true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join