It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Passes Continued Funding -- Lots of No Votes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The U.S. House and Senate passed a continuing funding package today.

Included was the CHIP funding that could have expired at a later time. Democrats and the Leftsided MSM have been claiming the Republicans wanted to end the CHIP program !!

So we have a bunch of "No" votes that wanted a government shutdown and the possibility of some social programs being financially pressured.

What kind of nut would vote "No" ?

The "No" votes were mostly from Democrats who by the way have been screaming their heads off about Republicans wanting to de-fund all kinds of programs.

Pelosi and Schumer voted "No" (Best of the Democrat Leadership)

Rand Paul also voted No !!

Trump was right again....
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

House Democrats want a SHUTDOWN for the holidays in order to distract from the very popular, just passed, Tax Cuts. House Republicans, don’t let this happen. Pass the C.R. TODAY and keep our Government OPEN!
8:52 AM - 21 Dec 2017

Here's a list of the "No" people....

House "No"s

Senate "No"s

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
How was Trump right? Every poll had the tax plan being very unpopular.

Also, what riders did the GOP try to sneak in to this bill?

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

No one polled me.

I’m guessing those polls are directed at a certain audience.

edit on 21 12 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
How was Trump right? Every poll had the tax plan being very unpopular.

Also, what riders did the GOP try to sneak in to this bill?

This is not the tax bill.

It's a funding bill to prevent a shutdown tomorrow.

The tax bill passed yesterday.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Kick that can down the road. Deal with it after their extended vacation. I'm sure they knew it was going to pass even if they voted no for the publicity.

Our representation is an absolute joke. Now and long before Trump.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Please re-read the Trump tweet posted above. The very same one I was referring to. Did he or did he not refer to the tax plan as "very popular?"

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The reality is, congress and the president are going to have to come up with cuts. Cuts that make sense, cuts that are deep, and in some cases cuts that will be wildly unpopular, yet necessary.

The continuing resolution to raise the debt ceiling is, as we all know, a stopgap measure. Without a comprehensive budget that calls for cuts the tax breaks we get now will simply turn into debt tomorrow.

If I don’t start hearing about cuts come January, preferably during the state of the union address, then I’ll just have to assume that President Trump has no intention of changing the disastrous course of our fiscal house, and congress will once again shirk their duty.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The reality is, congress and the president are going to have to come up with cuts. Cuts that make sense, cuts that are deep, and in some cases cuts that will be wildly unpopular, yet necessary.

I don't disagree. However, getting those cuts will be very difficult. While keeping government open and tax cuts are great for the people, who's going to pay for it? One should have been done before the other, IMO.

The continuing resolution to raise the debt ceiling is, as we all know, a stopgap measure. Without a comprehensive budget that calls for cuts the tax breaks we get now will simply turn into debt tomorrow.

We havn't had a balanced budget in many years. What should be the most important subject to those in politics is constantly kicked down the road should be enough to get it down. However these folks know they are profiting either way.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

So you're the authority on everything economic? There were multiple polls from outlets with both Right and Left biases. I don't think a single one was in favor of the bill. But feel free to keep acting like the majority are in favor of it.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I for one approve of the government not being shut down.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Kick that can down the road. Deal with it after their extended vacation. I'm sure they knew it was going to pass even if they voted no for the publicity.

Our representation is an absolute joke. Now and long before Trump.

Well let's not deny them their Caribbean Island resort fun places !!

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

What kind of nut would vote "No" ?

You answered your own question:

Pelosi and Schumer voted "No"

There really should be no question now that the true problems are the Democrats and a group of establishment Republicans. I figured it out a long time ago. The clincher I needed was DACA: All Trump did was declare it as unconstitutional (as the courts would have ruled if he hadn't), throw the issue back to Congress where it should have been in the first place, and get a moratorium from the attorneys already suing over it to give Congress 6 months to fix it. If he hadn't have done that, DACA would have disappeared overnight with a Supreme Court ruling and no grace period for Congress to act. But what did the Democrats do? They accused Trump of bigotry and refused to act (thus far) to do what they claim they want to do. Nobody is screaming for DACA deportation no questions asked.

Then Obamacare... instead of trying to help write the bill to repeal it, the Democrats decided to boycott the meetings, ensuring that the final bill would not have what they wanted so they could vote against it. Their partisanship is that much more important than actually fixing a broken health insurance system they claim to want to succeed.

Then the tax bill. Lies, lies, and more lies, all in a vain effort to keep the economy from taking off and make already struggling people pay more taxes.

Now this bill to just fund the government, opposed by the Democrats. Taken together, we can see their platform pretty clearly:
  • Deport DACA residents and blame Trump for their inability to do their job.
  • Allow Obamacare to fail, then try to shift the blame to Trump.
  • Stop any economic growth and make sure already struggling people are driven into poverty.
  • Shut down the government and try to blame Trump.
And if it were left up to the MSM, they might succeed... but Trump has Twitter!

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I think Congress will eventually get the DACA problem solved to most peoples' satisfaction.

Trump will let the Democrats shout and scream and then Congress will act.

Like maybe mid year right before elections.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

The GOP snuck in a significant rider. It was the re-authorization of the unconstitutional FISA 702 surveillance program due to expire at the end of 2017.
If you look at the No votes, you'll see that Rand Paul and Mike Lee voted No on the spending bill. They want significant amendments to the FISA bill to ensure 4th amendment protections of American citizens.
So in the end, we can continue to spend and continue to spy on American citizens. What a travesty!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Whatever Happened to LONG TERM Appropriations Bills ? What are these Asshats in the House Afraid of ? It's just More of the Same Political Theater Stalled by State Representatives over who gets the Choice Handouts to take back to their Constituency .....Yawn

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
More and more voters are seeing the democrats playing games.

And a lot of these voters are going to remember come next elections.

if they need a reminder there are a lot of us that will be here to remind them.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: JinMI

If I don’t start hearing about cuts come January, preferably during the state of the union address, then I’ll just have to assume that President Trump has no intention of changing the disastrous course of our fiscal house, and congress will once again shirk their duty.

Foxy only understands Chickens, sort of...Foxy still can't catch them anyway...Foxy will have to eat grit...Ooops! he ain't a chicken...R.I.P. Foxy.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Once they understand that the faster they get stuff done that is good for the country, the more popular they will be with the people, they might start working harder. But that might be to much to hope for.
edit on 21-12-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I think they will, too, but mid-elections is going to be too long to wait. I expect Trump to start arresting DACA folks and threatening to deport them if Congress misses that deadline. The President cannot just ignore laws he doesn't like.

Personally, I say grant them a green card for life, revocable only if they are convicted of a felony, as long as they have not already committed a felony. Deny citizenship, though. Their offspring can be citizens. Done deal.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: fltcui

Good catch! Now the question is... why aren't the Democrats using that to kill this funding bill they supposedly don't want? Maybe because they want the FISA re-authorization also?

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join