It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Jedi the racial diversity and gender political empowered movie -spoilers.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I'd like to address the blue saber that Kylo didnt notice.

Luke took the look he had last time Kylo saw him, younger and fresher, when he almost killed him in the bedroom.

Kylo was so enraged (dark side)he didnt notice the detail, but it was there as a hint to the audience. He could have just had the green saber, but its was made for the audience to notice.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Yes it's a kids movie and I was entertained and the nerd star wars fans are raging about this movie. Of course some star wars nerds like it. Just relax

Even if you take star wars out of the title its still full of plot holes useless subplots and lazy writing. I liked some things about the movie but Rogue One is still the best of the new movies.

I'm really happy you enjoyed the last jedi

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

rebellion is in dire straights, and if the rebels always win their battles where does that tension come from?

I agree sometimes losing and letting people leave with a bad feeling discussing the possibility that the rebellion will rise again would do good for the upcoming episodes.

Creating unfairness and unpredictable scenes where one thinks that it will end positively than would be a disaster and creating disappointment is a strong weapon that not many directors seem to have.

So I'll hope they create more shock and awe in the upcoming series.

Also I would like to see more epic grandiose space battles where you can feel the heat of a fighter pilot flying between big destroyers barely make it or not.

I think there will always be episodes that are more intriguing than others .

We'll see what they come up with next year. It seems more that they seek a transition between new casts and the old so i expect that it will be different next time..

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

That's does make sense and I actually think snoke is influencing kylo ren after his death. He changed completely from deciding to help Ray to wanting complete control and accepting the dark side which mirrors empire strikes back kinda.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I am sorry you saw it as a kids movie and had bad screen play.

Personally I thought the Phantom menace and that series was for kids. I thought this was a good all around movie with fairly good writing with a good balance for adults and kids.

Personally I think a new hope has a pretty bad screen play and is full of literary mistakes. But I loved it. It's a movie. People expect miracles from their heroes. It's unrealistic.

I also enjoyed rogue one.

Sometimes over the top fans can't sit in the moment and enjoy the moment. They have their graphing calculator out while watching.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Yea. We have to dial back our expectations slightly here. We are used to each Star Wars movie being grand epic stories even within the wider trilogies they encompass, but Disney is taking the Marvel world building route. There are going to be story lines and ideas that won't make sense until later movies. Disney is intentionally setting it up for spin offs and mainline sequels. I imagine that the numbered SW movies will end up being like the Avengers movies are now; where all the side movies build up to them.

I also wouldn't call episode 8 the best of the series, but it's character development was fun and if you can look past the plot holes (something that should be easy for any true Star Wars fan; hell they should be making up reasons these plot holes aren't plot holes as we speak) it was a decent movie. It wouldn't work as a stand alone movie though. Too much went wrong for the protags for that to work.

Plus with the Rebellion reduced to a size that can fit on the Millennium Falcon, that sets up the next movie for a HUGE come back victory. It's like watching The Two Towers and seeing the dire situation and the end movie battle where they BARELY make it out alive. Only to know the true war is in the next movie.

ETA: Empire Strikes Back is considered the best of the original trilogy because it ended on such a sour note. That shouldn't be lost in the discussion either.
edit on 22-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Bingo...think of how bad it could be...like say the second Indiana Jones movie.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Bingo...think of how bad it could be...like say the second Indiana Jones movie.

Yeah. We could have had Episode 1 again!

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Meesa happy that didn't happen.

Now talk about disappointing.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier
Most of the problems people seem to have with Ep 8 seems to stem from people being upset that Rian is taking the series in a new direction after JJ setup all that nostalgia callback. I stand by Rian's decision because while everyone swooned over the nostalgia callbacks in Ep 7, I've grown steadily irritated at them since the movie's release. Even when I was leaving the theater after watching Ep 7, I was saying that it was basically a rehash of A New Hope with just a bigger and badder Death Star.

I also think that Han cutting off hyperspace to cut through the planet's shields and not slam straight into the surface of the planet was a WAAAAAAAAAY bigger stretch than Leia using the force to pull herself through space. Hyperspace violates enough rules of physics alone, but outside of hyperspace there is no way the Falcon should be able to decelerate quick enough to avoid splatting.

Also, Laura Dern's death is the COOLEST explosion scene in all of Star Wars movies.

edit on 22-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

9 movies later you any integrity at all? That is a miracle alone in my opinion.

People clapped when I saw it at a special preview. I am in an strong arts city as well.

Was is Lawrence of Arabia no.

I though that scene with Dern was fantastic as well. Unfortunately I couldn't see it in 70mm and had to watch the movie in 3 d because of availability but it was still a good viewing. I will probably see it again with my 15 year old (who like the first 3 because they were his time, ) making every generation of fans happy is probably pretty hard.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The old line entertainment industry with each passing year gets less entertaining and more PC. But I think that is because they see that as their last remainng target market. Probably more people, those with brans, are watching stuff produced by outlets like Amazon. Amazon and that bunch target all markets with producing stuff of interest peculiar to each individual market. That pretty much makes sense to me.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
And with snoke I'm over his identity since I have to wait two years to find out.

Imagine you had to wait three years to find out if Vader was actually Luke's father.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

And transgendered.

Only way it could be better is if they used the Death Star on Robert E. Lee's statue.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: 0bserver1
Yeah now you mentioned that did it not had the same colors as BB8 what are they up too?

People are forgetting about BB-9E (BB Hate), the evil black droid of the First Order. I hear he has the death sentence in Cook County, IL.

B-Benign-E

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Hmmm. See Three Pee. Oh!

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Here's one for the people bitching about Snoke's death:

Kylo Ren: “I know what I have to do”

Snoke: “You think you can turn him. Pathetic Child. I cannot be betrayed. I cannot be beaten. I see his mind. I see his every intent. Yes. I see him turning the lightsaber to strike true. And now, foolish child, he ignites it and kills his true enemy.”

Snoke is not gone and he saw that moved telegraphed, it's all part of his plan. People were too blinded by their diversity rage to follow this super obvious piece of expository dialogue.

No, the movie shows Kylo was able to get away with it because he was setting up the kill exactly like he did to Han Solo. He was turning the light saber and was going to turn it on to kill the one he hates. He could turn the blue saber at the same time as his red one and not give anything away because it was his light saber and he hates everyone, "That light saber, it is mine" awkward dialogue from ep7.

Snoke is dead.

Kylo is not as powerful as Snoke was though. In ep7 Kylo wasn't strong enough to call the blue saber, Rey's pull was stronger. In ep8 the two of them ripped it in half pulling on it but Snoke snatched it from Rey like childs play. The whole thing is a clusterfk.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm not so sure I even want to watch it now.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
No, the movie shows Kylo was able to get away with it because he was setting up the kill exactly like he did to Han Solo.

If you say so. We'll find out in two years or sooner if there's spoilers.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Yea I do t think I would like the “astral luke “ scene if not for all the eastereggs you don’t notice until the reveal...

The light saber color, Younger luke
, and Luke’s footsteps weren’t leaving red marks either.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join