It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so cheap??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Maybe you'll be broke, but you'll have life experiences. Just think if both your parents were the same, you might not have experienced anything. I think about people that have never even left their home state! I'm not talking about being foolish with money, but most people can't see a middle ground, but there is. You can be responsible and still not be cheap. I wonder if your dad has regrets? I have never regretted a single vacation I took my kids on, as I've gotten older I wish I traveled with them more.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

One is not more right than the other. Poor people share because they have to. If you don't share with your neighbor in their time of need, they won't share in yours.

Rich people don't need to share. They are self sufficient.

Its a different worldview based on personal experience. I'd bet that after 20 years living a different experience, your perspective would change, too.

Side note related to this: ever notice how people who lose lots of weight become hypercritical of the obese? That change in perspective due to life experience rearing its head again.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I am so caught up on actions, not appearances of what other people do because I am old enough to know of a time when life was better. I think i've had enough life experience to share my thoughts too. I've been totally broke, wealthy, sick, healthy, laid off and everything in between.

There is a huge difference between being cheap and being frugal/fiscally responsible.
I assure you the near 1% aren't trying to save for future generations as much as you'd think. For example, if the very wealthy were so concerned about future generations they would not devastate the environment like they do. I've worked with dozens and dozens of them over the years, the vast majority didn't give a rats ass about their kids. Sad to say, but it's true.

I find it odd the anger you have over the mere suggestion that people share more. That was the gist of my entire post. Maybe there is some soul searching that you need to do.

I am ranting about it on the digital world, but you are ranting back, we live in a digital world, so we share our thoughts on here. How are we ever to learn about a different perspective if we don't share (even our thoughts)?

I try to live the example I am talking about. I give to charity, I volunteer my time, I try to be the best neighbor I can be, I give to school, there is probably a lot more I could do and I'm working on that. What is so seriously wrong with wishing that people did more of that???

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Can't take it with me when I CROAK. don't buy into the Egyptians BS.

BLAH BLAH JESUS SAVES SO SPEND AWAY

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Maybe I am weird, but I have figured out that wealth has nothing to do with money.

What will your legacy be when you die, that you died with a lot of stuff?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I know a couple of people that are 1% or very near, and they are cheap to the point of a mental illness.

That is why they are 1%

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I've been relatively rich. I've been completely broke.
I still share what I have with people I love.
Even strangers.
You can't take it with you when death comes knocking.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
Here's what i've gathered from my own experiences with family and friends.......

Rich people are rich because they are cheap. They horde whatever they can for as long as they can, and that amassing of money builds over time.

My grandfather for example, had a killer union job. He never had to pay for housing, as his home was inherited when his parents died. He never had to pay for meals associated with his job, as they were funded by his job. Business suits? company comped. Furniture? Second hand stores and garage sales. Vehicle? Drove a company funded car, with gas and insurance paid for...... So on and so forth. He rarely ever had to spend a dime of his own money, unless it was something he personally wanted. He would go golfing and spend several hours collecting golf balls so he wouldn't have to buy his own. He grew up in a lower class household, but managed to land a decent job with benefits.

By the time he was 35, he had saved over 5 million dollars in the bank (this was back in the 1960's, BTW)

The cheaper and stingier the person, the more wealth they can save. The more giving and sharing you are, the less you have for yourself.

I disagree fundamentally. I agree that we should save, invest get jobs with benefits to build that cushion but it's generally not the way to true wealth. The way to true wealth is starting a business, lifelong learning, creating something that people want. For 80% of most people, saving and scrimping will not make them wealthy, it will make them cheap. Give it away to get it back. I live by that motto. I'm not rich but for the past 4 years I've ran my own business and it's breaking even and growing. consensus is that it takes 7 years of owning your own business to make it big. So I guess I got 3 left and I'll let you know how it goes.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

My guess is that you will make it to 10 years and more, you get it! In our small town there are businesses that have been here 150 years (seriously, we have a restaurant that has been open that long) and some that can't even make it two years. The businesses that are smart give back to the community, and then the community gives back tenfold. It seems like you are well aware of this, some others are just oblivious!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

One is not more right than the other. Poor people share because they have to. If you don't share with your neighbor in their time of need, they won't share in yours.

Rich people don't need to share. They are self sufficient.

Its a different worldview based on personal experience. I'd bet that after 20 years living a different experience, your perspective would change, too.

Side note related to this: ever notice how people who lose lots of weight become hypercritical of the obese? That change in perspective due to life experience rearing its head again.

Why don't poor people put more effort into not being poor... This is injest, but it seems to be the same logic as the statement of "why don't people with money give more..."

I think people assume that it is some kind of luck scenario as to why some people are poor and others are not, and I can tell you luck has little to do with it all in either situation.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: amazing

My guess is that you will make it to 10 years and more, you get it! In our small town there are businesses that have been here 150 years (seriously, we have a restaurant that has been open that long) and some that can't even make it two years. The businesses that are smart give back to the community, and then the community gives back tenfold. It seems like you are well aware of this, some others are just oblivious!

Thanks! It's kind of easy too when you own a business, you can do charity drives with your customers, free products and services to those in need, shout outs on social media. We're all in this world together and it's easier to succeed together.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Poor people tend to be poor due to their life choices. No, that isn't a blanket statement.

And, if im being honest...a lot of it has to do with where you start.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

You find anger where I have none. I just don't like when people generalize and then concern themselves with what other people do when it is not hurting them at all.

No anger, I just think that it's unnecessary.

But, your opinion is yours to have, as is mine to have of your opinion. Again, no anger, I just don't see the extremism that you do nor the need to rant about it.

I give to charity, I volunteer my time, I try to be the best neighbor I can be, I give to school, there is probably a lot more I could do and I'm working on that. What is so seriously wrong with wishing that people did more of that???

There's nothing wrong in wishing that people were more giving and charitable, but to be fair to me, your OP comes across as spiteful to people because of your perception of them and what you don't see being advertised that they do--not everyone who appears "cheap" refrains from everything that you are doing and more.

In any event, I hope that you have a Merry Christmas and that you find all presents wrapped in paper that you will then just toss in landfills

edit on 21-12-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Poor people tend to be poor due to their life choices. No, that isn't a blanket statement.

I guess the question is, can anyone get out of poverty no matter where they start and what life choices they made in the past and what are those steps to become wealthy? Maybe I'll start a thread on this.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Its just intelligent foresight, I think...

Back over 25 years ago when I was a kid, my parents broke up and split everything in the middle. My Dad used the funds to by another property for 190k (which is worth well over a million now), he lived like a total tight arse, saving every cent, like a chimpmonk saving there nuts for winter.

My mum on the other hand, used the funds to take us kids on a luxury holiday to Queensland and has always been the sort of person who would give a person $5 if they needed it, even though she only had $10 to her name.

Fastforward to today and my mum is a 50 something year old women, struggling to pay rent and living week to week... well my Dad on the other hand, doesn't even need to work anymore, travelling overseas constantly and buying luxury holiday houses on the beach with top of the line jet skies to much...

Me personally, I'm like my mum. As in, live it up in the now and just worry about the later when I get there.

In other words, I'll always be broke, in the long run...

It's funny how things work out sometimes, I got married relatively young had a good job bought a house we had two wonderful girls, everything is great till about 10-11 years in. We got divorced had to sell the house, lost lots of stuff, carried debt etc etc But thats when slowly begun to realize it's just stuff and it was just a house. As it turns out I
don't need all that stuff to be happy, and being forced to sell was great,because the area went downhill soon there after, homes still aren't close to what we sold it for after the divorce that was 16 years ago. that extra dough paid a lot of the debt. If you are going to be with someone most times you need to be on the same page about finances frugal or carefree.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
so true the great depression really affected many people for the rest of their lives

originally posted by: Irishhaf
It varies for everyone, folks I know that started from nothing and have grown to be well off typically still live as if they had nothing.

My grandmother is very well off at 97 and she still lives like its the Great Depression.

Traumatic times will stick with people even if they are now very well off.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Thrifty till you're 50, spend to the end!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Can't take it with me when I CROAK. don't buy into the Egyptians BS.

BLAH BLAH JESUS SAVES SO SPEND AWAY

I thought it went: "Jesus saves, Moses invests."

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
a reply to: dothedew

The more giving and sharing you are, the less you have for yourself.

Quite the opposite, for some..

This is true. I can't explain it, but giving does have a way of coming back to you.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Agree, BUT it is about continuous life choices. You can have a rich kid die at 25 of a drug overdose and you can have a poor kid become a General in the Military and with both cases we would see a string of life choices and not just one or two.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join