It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Of Kids Might Lose Health Care Because Congress Dropped The Ball

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

My husband was on life support in ICU for five weeks then rehab 8 weeks. That was after getting what we could qualify for in charity.

First He had kidney surgery, misssed work for 6 mos, lost our insurance , he went back to work, then back in ER two weeks later and 13 weeks in hospital. I wouldn’t wish our health system on my worst enemy.

So the $237,000 was due to your husband's health, and not a child, correct?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: eNumbra

a reply to: eNumbra

I'm unsure because you seem to be screw the poor kids, personal responsibility and all, but now you say it is satire.

The use of exaggeration is extremely common in satire, I think the problem is what you’re willing to believe other people think.

So does every American child receive the same minimum basic of free at point of need healthcare from birth to age 18 like in the UK if they are born poor?
Do you support a system where no US child gets less than the standard expected for British children?
I support such a system for every child in the world.

I think that it may be different in each individual state. I can tell you about where I live.

In Tennessee the poorest of the poor children will get Medicaid (called TennCare). They must meet the income guidelines or lack of income (based on some formula of a % of the poverty guidelines/household size), not be able to afford or not be offered insurance at work or be in state custody.

The next level is for those children whose parents make above that amount and it is called CoverKids. I believe that covers kids up to the age of 18 who don't qualify for TennCare. One will pay copays and fees for things not covered, prescriptions etc. but it cannot exceed 5% of your annual income so basically could be (very rough guestimate here!) 1000-3000/year out of pocket. Similar to a deductible, sort of.

Both cover medical, dental and vision. I believe that the ‘well child’ annual visit is covered at 100%. They are through employer insurance coverage also.

I think because it is different for children and adults and based on what the parent’s income is and family size state by state it can be confusing. In my experience children are cared for well. Adults may be the one’s struggling with large deductibles and services not covered after that expense is met.

edit on 21-12-2017 by TNMockingbird because: wall of text hurt my eyes!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I donate to British charities and countries poorer than my own, would seem strange to donate to the most powerful nation in the world which does not provide for its kids, relying instead on donations when the country is rich enough to not need donations from foreign citizens.
I would be ashamed asking a foreign citizen to donate for sick poor British kids to get treatment.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Thank you for your reply. So are prescription drugs for kids free as well no matter parents income?
Your system does seem a logistical minefield but if all US kids get healthcare that's an improvement on the claims in the OP

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Thank you for your reply. So are prescription drugs for kids free as well no matter parents income?
Your system does seem a logistical minefield but if all US kids get healthcare that's an improvement on the claims in the OP

I should have added that I don't know if ALL children receive healthcare in the US. BCBS is ridiculously expensive (employer offered healthcare) but being in a 'group' helps some.
Not ALL prescription drugs are free. It depends on the type and what type of insurance the parents have along with the individual coverage afforded them.
For example, they would likely be free for children (under 18/19) with TennCare, some sort of $ amount for children with CoverKids (depends on the medication but, most Drs try to find something that will be covered).
Employer insurance would depend on the individual formulary per company.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

I'm unsure because you seem to be screw the poor kids, personal responsibility and all, but now you say it is satire.

The use of exaggeration is extremely common in satire, I think the problem is what you’re willing to believe other people think.

So does every American child receive the same minimum basic of free at point of need healthcare from birth to age 18 like in the UK if they are born poor?
Do you support a system where no US child gets less than the standard expected for British children?
I support such a system for every child in the world.

I think children should work the coal mines and die at the ripe old age of 24 like our fore fathers intended for this great country.

I support a system wherein every American citizen (children aren’t special) gets healthcare as a perk of their citizenship, one wherein the corporate health racket no longer exists and for-profit health is seen as the absurd notion that it is.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Thanks for clarifying.I don't envy your system,it seems an administrative challenge compared to just rocking up at a doctor's or hospital and just being asked for name/address.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I support the idea you have for American citizens to get medical treatment as a perk of citizenship. I hope you get it one day.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
House and Senate have passed a temp spending bill.

Looks like many Congress people voted "No" to helping the CHIP program.

Fortunately, the "Yes" people saved the day again !!

Any politician that voted "No" today is placing themselves in grave electoral danger.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I certainly understand that folks aren't 'okay' with paying for others. What's the limit of my compassion/charity? I don't know.
It is the administrative challenge LOL. There are many hoops to jump through.
The adults in the middle have the most problems, I think...
I've taken second jobs to pay for my (not MY bills but MY responsibility) medical bills. They seem never ending but not insurmountable to be sure.
I think it could be the folks 'in the middle' like me that are having a more difficult time. I don't qualify for free or subsidized medical coverage nor do the kiddos father but we work it out. You got to do what you got to do.
If one has a $5,000 deductible which was recently raised to 6 with $1,000 out of pocket before hand then...if two or more in your family get ill at the same time, well, it can take a toll on the budget.
Yes, get a better job. Work harder. I get it.
I DO appreciate your questions as I believe that understanding (or at least trying to) and empathizing with another's situation or problem is a start to a solution.

edit on 21-12-2017 by TNMockingbird because: not my bills really

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Sorry for more questions but this "deductible" of 5 grand is that like "excess" on UK driving insurance so you pay the first 5000 on any insurance claim? My vehicle insurance excess is first £500 in a claim I have to pay myself.

And yes I genuinely feel sad that anyone in the world has to worry about money to pay for healthcare.Same as society funding education, some things are a benchmark of that civilisation when communally funded and equal for all citizens.
edit on 21-12-2017 by CornishCeltGuy because: added final paragraph

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Seriously People just take your kid to the Doctor, theyre not just gonna start turning people away.
And better yet only have the number of kids you can work and support, without federal assistance.

Also. What legislation has the Democratic party proposed, written, and passed this year?

OK shut up and get to work

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Good try but Democrats stonewalled it iirc.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

"Millions Of Kids Might Get Money Back Because OF Trump Tax Cuts". There, fixed it for you.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher

"Millions Of Kids Might Get Money Back Because OF Trump Tax Cuts". There, fixed it for you.
If they are so hard pressed, get rid of internet access.
i see people with $800.00 phones checking to see when there link card is renewed

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join