It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare is bad for health cost

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: zupdo
PS...
Obama Care offered health insurance for more people. It never guaranteed rates would not raise. It was about availability and cost control. Insurance will always continue to raise in price. My car insurance is not what it was in the seventies when I started driving. Life insurance costs go up, home owners insurance goes up..that's life...that's economics 101...

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
PS...
Obama Care offered health insurance for more people. It never guaranteed rates would not raise. It was about availability and cost control. Insurance will always continue to raise in price. My car insurance is not what it was in the seventies when I started driving. Life insurance costs go up, home owners insurance goes up..that's life...that's economics 101...

That's a bad argument. I don't want a health insurance. If government forces me to buy one, I will hate the government for taking away my personal rights and freedoms. Sometimes, freedom trumps numbers.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Must be that the economy is really good where I live because I see healthcare facilities going up everywhere around here. They just opened another emergent care facility near me that treats injuries and illness not of a traumatic nature. I am serious that they are building more and more hospitals and care centers. I'm not more than a mile away from any doctor if I'm in the tidewater region. Literally...

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Your government IS forcing you to buy health insurance. How do you think your universal coverage is funded exactly?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Let's try a different illustration. The OP's premise is based on supply and demand --- largely a retail/commerce model --- but that isn't really analogous. HealthCare is more like a subscription model.

Let's say you have a subscription business. You charge a membership fee and then provide services to your subscribers. Those services consume some measure of materials and time. The services you provide vary. You have some subscribers that consume very little of your services (so your cost of servicing those subscribers is low). You have other segments of your subscriber base that consume a great deal of your services. Now let's assume that segment of your subscriber base that utilizes little if any of your services decides to unsubscribe. Their membership revenue is now gone. You are now left with only members that consume large amounts of your services. What will you have to do to your membership fee?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Obama Care offered health insurance for more people. It never guaranteed rates would not raise.

Thats just 'Silly'.

Obamas HealthCare Cost Promises

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Your government IS forcing you to buy health insurance. How do you think your universal coverage is funded exactly?

Canadians pay far less tax than Americans do. Canadian universal healthcare only covers emergencies and major surgeries and operations, nothing else.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

So if Americans paid less in taxes, you'd be ok with our welfare programs?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Obamacare was a case of the fox guarding the hen house,all those filthy liberal corporate owners had a big stake in this,a no lose situation,why else are they giving money to liberals to fight repeal,because they see their cash cow floating away,it was never for the working class,they didn't even deny that fact,truth is help yourself,or become helpless

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: dfnj2015

The highest estimates I've seen is tort reform would lower premiums by 2% to 3%. A drop in the bucket compared to what is else that is cause the consumer to be gouged and reamed up the butt requiring MORE healthcare.

That is categorical BULL-S#! You know who came up with that figure? Healthcare insurance providers and legislators...and who are they??? Attorneys. (mic drop)

Oh wait, your numbers came out your butt. (mic drop)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

By what measure do Canadians pay far less tax than Americans? Big differences for individuals obviously but overall tax as% of GDP is higher in Canada.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: zupdoObamacare is bad for health cost

Yes.

But the Republican plan is even worse.

The reason why is because no matter what, these plans half-ass it either way. Aaaannnnd there is a reason why they do that. Here's the problem, there is a fundamental question at the crux of health care in the United States and it is this:

Is health care a right or not?

If it's a right then it should be single payer, equal coverage for everyone, the tax payer covers it. Period. The problem with that, is that in order to foot that bill the rich would carry most of the burden and they will never do it.

If health care is not a right, then let the free market take care of it, get government out of it and that's the end of it. No more EMTALA, no more of that stuff. You're on your own buddy. They don't have to treat you if you can't pay because it's not your right.

What we have now are a series of messy, cumbersome, EXPENSIVE, and profoundly wasteful "compromises" between the two ideologies.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Artificial "demand" always produces artificially high "prices".

(Economics 001)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
PS...

"Obama.Care" created the price gouging, "Obama" said it wasn't going to do that.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

Yes.

The reason why is because no matter what, these plans half-ass it either way. Aaaannnnd there is a reason why they do that. Here's the problem, there is a fundamental question at the crux of health care in the United States and it is this:

If it's a right then it should be single payer, equal coverage for everyone, the tax payer covers it. Period. The problem with that, is that in order to foot that bill the rich would carry most of the burden and they will never do it.

If health care is not a right, then let the free market take care of it, get government out of it and that's the end of it. No more EMTALA, no more of that stuff. You're on your own buddy. They don't have to treat you if you can't pay because it's not your right.

What we have now are a series of messy, cumbersome, EXPENSIVE, and profoundly wasteful "compromises" between the two ideologies.

I don't believe healthcare is a right. If I get a flu I get someone else to pay for my medicine? I don't think that's fair.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: zupdo

originally posted by: redhorse

Yes.

I don't believe healthcare is a right. If I get a flu I get someone else to pay for my medicine? I don't think that's fair.

If your house catches fire someone else pays for the fire service.

If you get held up someone else pays for the police.

If you drive someone else pays for the roads.

Society as a whole benefits from having healthy people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join