It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump commutes sentence of Agriprocessors chief Sholom Rubashkin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Out of the blue, President Trump has commuted the sentence of a Jewish man in prison for money laundering.

It's Sholom Rubashkin of a company called Agriprocessors has been in prison since convicted in 2009 and got a 27 year sentence.

Many politicians are on board with trump on this one.

The conviction stands and this is only a commutation of the prison sentence.

What is "important" about this case ?

Trump commutes sentence of Agriprocessors chief Sholom Rubashkin

President Donald Trump on Wednesday commuted the sentence of an Iowa kosher meatpacking executive who had been sentenced to 27 years in prison for money laundering, marking the first time he's used the presidential power.

The decision to intervene on behalf of Sholom Rubashkin, who ran the Iowa headquarters of a family business that was the country's largest kosher meat-processing company, came at the urging of numerous members of Congress and a long list of high-ranking law enforcement officials, who argued the sentence was far too harsh for a first-time, non-violent offender.

The action was "encouraged by bipartisan leaders from across the political spectrum, from Nancy Pelosi to Orrin Hatch," the White House said.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Similar to Marc Rich.

Beware of hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Something tells me there are many people serving very excessive sentences for much smaller crimes who will not receive this same honour.

Pardon a career criminal sheriff...
Commute the sentence of a criminal for a crime that is usually always connected to some other very sinister crimes, I mean come on, people don’t “launder” legitimate money...

The Law & Order candidate everyone...
Let’s give him a nice big round of applause.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Trump has to look after his own after all.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I don't see anything wrong with this and if the man was innocent that would make this a good thing.
But I do have to point out that once again this isn't trumps doing.
He was pushed by both dems and repubs to do this. He only had to say ok.

What this really makes me wonder is why the bipartisan agreement to help this guy? Who is this guy really?
We need to research him and see who he is connected to.

Because like seasonal said others who are deserving of this honor have not (yet) received it.
So what's the angle here?
What story connected to all this will we see the media pushing in the coming weeks?

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Similar to Marc Rich.

Beware of hypocrisy.

The similarities to Rich are lightyears apart I think.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Annee
Similar to Marc Rich.

Beware of hypocrisy.

The similarities to Rich are lightyears apart I think.

I don't. Like this, "everyone" wanted him pardoned.

He was (probably still is) the biggest (I think) commodities dealer in the world. Majorly in Nickle. We needed Nickle.

My position is - - - if they actually run a business everyone needs - - - who is hurt the most by removing them? Those in need - - - not them.

Sometimes logic of need - - - should take priority.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
For those who may not remember this case ...

American Greed - The Slaughterhouse

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Ah! And so the exchange of prisoners begins!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Something tells me there are many people serving very excessive sentences for much smaller crimes who will not receive this same honour.

Pardon a career criminal sheriff...
Commute the sentence of a criminal for a crime that is usually always connected to some other very sinister crimes, I mean come on, people don’t “launder” legitimate money...

The Law & Order candidate everyone...
Let’s give him a nice big round of applause.

Well, any President could have done that including the one that left office right before Trump. Clearly they don't have enough information or there aren't enough people pushing for the sentences to be commuted.

Maybe that is a project you should undertake? Let Trump know each case of someone being in jail too long and why they need to be let out.

Make it happen!

edit on 2017/12/21 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Wow no wonder rabis senators and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and Washington Legal Foundation (WLF) were supporting him the judge was nuts originally tried to give him life the DOJ stepped in saying thats crazy. So the judge gives him 27 years even more then the prosecutor asked for. And fined him millions of dollars for not maintaining collateral on a loan. After what i read everyone thinks his trial was bad and needed an appeal. Im sure if all those people wrote the president of course hed commute sentense since other cases similar had 2 to 3 yr sentences

top topics

join