It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s a done deal: Congress wraps up massive tax package

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I'm just happier knowing that my taxes go towards government programs that help people (those same programs helped me) than to give me that money back and taking away those same programs because the government can 'no longer' afford them.

Money taken from citizens in the form of taxes is supposed to pay for necessary government costs and infrastructure, not charity. Not art.

I believe that necessary government costs include charity and art. There's a whole slew of data that shows that just giving poor people free money from the government does more to stimulate the economy and increase job growth than giving upper and middle class people more money. That doesn't sound good to Americans though, people in this country refuse to believe they're poor because that means they're lazy or stupid. Nobody wants to admit that. Moveover it doesn't make you 'feel' good.

This tax bill is just feel good legislation. It doesn't do anything meaningful over the long-term but it makes people feel good right now.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

True. I don’t know why they even keep track of the deficit. It’s somebody else’s money we borrow to use anyway. Deficits are savings for the taxpayer.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Not what I'm saying. Stop deficit spending by cutting spending, period. If something doesn't equal dollars, then it doesn't make sense. Presently we are throwing away a lot of money that makes no sense.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
originally posted by: Hefficide

As I sit here waiting for Conservatives to realize that this means George Soros just got billions of dollars.

This cliffhanger is too much to bear. How does Soros benefit ? or make $ off of this. Perhaps it seems simple to you, I for one am not making the connection, and (I Hugely dislike) George Soros.

Perhaps you were talking about this

worldtribune.com...

"By the way, George Soros just stashed $18 billion into the biggest tax shelter in American history. This is money that will never be taxed. Typical liberal: he wants everyone to pay more taxes — except himself."
edit on 20-12-2017 by Plotus because: Looking for clues

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Like the 17 trillion we spent on wars so far. If we got equal return on our dollars, we would wouldn’t be in debt. And taxes could be reduced more.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
www.theverge.com... so with net neutrality repeal and the new tax bill passing Comcast is apparently investing 50 billion in new infrastructure

Based on the passage of tax reform and the FCC's action on broadband, Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO of Comcast NBCUniversal, announced that the Company would award special $1,000 bonuses to more than one hundred thousand eligible frontline and non-executive employees. Roberts also announced that the Company expects to spend well in excess of $50 billion over the next five years investing in infrastructure to radically improve and extend our broadband plant and capacity, and our television, film and theme park offerings. With these investments, we expect to add thousands of new direct and indirect jobs. We will have more to say on capital at our upcoming January 24th earnings report.
and toss on some nice bonuses to its employees

www.washingtonpost.com... another link and covers the att thing as well

and Boeing boeing.mediaroom.com... Spur-Innovation-and-Growth

New law boosts Boeing's competitiveness, supports long-term growth Boeing announces immediate additional employee-related and charitable investments of $300 million as a result of new law

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Trump doesn't have any successes yet. Just because his tax plan passed, doesn't mean the majority of Americans accept the fact that these cuts benefited corporate America more than working families. Trump was elected because working families believed he was going to help them, not corporate America.

Any American who wants basic credibility, honesty, self-control, responsibility, maturity and competency in their president would cause them to be Anti-Trump. It's a no brainer. If you think these are bad leadership qualities, you probably would feel right at home in North Korea.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
My $9.00 a week is going to change my life !!
Can’t wait for all that extra dough to start rolling in. Because I’m going to need it to pay for my insurance I just lost.

I’m am definitely voting R from here on out

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Yeah, and there is one thing that was not mentioned, and is now, the cut to medicaid and medicare. Gee I guess removing the Obamacare stuff, CHIP and ultimately medicare and medicaid in short is going to harm alot more than this tax will help. So people will be back where they were, where medical bills and medications will take a priority in personal budgets, and ultimately where people have to decide between medication and food.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Like the 17 trillion we spent on wars so far. If we got equal return on our dollars, we would wouldn’t be in debt. And taxes could be reduced more.

Thus, claim spoils. Make wars pay for themselves.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Ha...it's Christmas time.

What savings?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

As I sit here waiting for Conservatives to realize that this means George Soros just got billions of dollars.

A tax cut doesn’t give anyone money. It just means the government won’t take that money. I don’t like Soros, but so long as his wealth is legitimate and he pays his taxes I have no problem with him keeping more of his money. It’s his.

I was wondering where you’ve been Heff. Good to know you’re still about.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
LMAO more huge tax cuts for the wealthy. The question is, where is that going to be made up from? Are they going to cut the military budget as a result? I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs
LMAO more huge tax cuts for the wealthy. The question is, where is that going to be made up from? Are they going to cut the military budget as a result? I doubt it.

Emergency spending bill. After all, the military industrial complex is greedy for another 50 billion defense budget hike.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Talked to some people at a local micro brewery, they say the company will save 120k a year do to some of the changes in the tax package which the company plans on reinvesting into the company hiring new people and buying more equipment and ramping up production.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I'm just happier knowing that my taxes go towards government programs that help people (those same programs helped me) than to give me that money back and taking away those same programs because the government can 'no longer' afford them.

Well, then you feel free to send them back any refund due to you, and tell them they can spend it as they like. Meanwhile, most of us will enjoy deciding where we want to spend our own money. Charity is suppoed to be willing giving, not a government program.

Money taken from citizens in the form of taxes is supposed to pay for necessary government costs and infrastructure, not charity. Not art.

I believe that necessary government costs include charity and art. There's a whole slew of data that shows that just giving poor people free money from the government does more to stimulate the economy and increase job growth than giving upper and middle class people more money. That doesn't sound good to Americans though, people in this country refuse to believe they're poor because that means they're lazy or stupid. Nobody wants to admit that. Moveover it doesn't make you 'feel' good.

This tax bill is just feel good legislation. It doesn't do anything meaningful over the long-term but it makes people feel good right now.

You are certainly free to believe that, but you are not free to decide that my money goes for those things. What long term handouts accomplish is to make a lot of slaves to the government, who have no choice but to vote for those who will push for their handouts. It's basically slavery. If you can't see that, that's your issue, not mine.

As for art, if someone wants to support hat, great! If not, that's great, too. Art is not the responsibility of the government. Have you ever actually read the Constitution??

No, it does a lot of good. You can wait and see, of course, which is always wise, but having people able to keep more of what hey earn is always a good thing.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: decr422o

Emergency spending bill. After all, the military industrial complex is greedy for another 50 billion defense budget hike.

Agreed and the sad part is that nobody will even think twice about that. They will just go along with an even bigger military budget, even though they just cut taxes, so it will raise other taxes, elsewhere. It's laughable how these guys operate and morons just go right along with it because they are tricked into thinking they actually reduced taxes.
edit on 12 26 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Talked to some people at a local micro brewery, they say the company will save 120k a year do to some of the changes in the tax package which the company plans on reinvesting into the company hiring new people and buying more equipment and ramping up production.

If only big corporations would take note. Most of them just pocket the money or give it to the higher ups in bonuses.

posted on Dec, 26 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

If only big corporations would take note. Most of them just pocket the money or give it to the higher ups in bonuses.

It is possible. But impossible to predict exactly what they will do.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: suphero

It is possible. But impossible to predict exactly what they will do.

Very true, but based on history, we can make a very good predictable model on what the big corporations usually do. I was against the bailouts a while back, because just like suspected, the companies didn't invest the money in more jobs or their future, they used it to give bonuses and fund company vacations. To me it's absurd that they can still get away with that stuff today.
edit on 12 27 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join