It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T to give 200,000 employees 1K bonus and invest 1Billion due to tax reform.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: FauxMulder

Only union members? What about the folks who don't pay to be employed?

I get what AT&T is doing, and its not a bad thing. I just can't stand unions, and would like to see them reward all their employees.

Well, you could just look it up for yourself. It you're too awesome for that nonsense. It's 200k+ workers INCLUDING union workers. If you're still confused hopefully another adult will be along shortly.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Stevenjames15
a reply to: theatreboy

Looks good on paper. Swell gesture. The bonus is taxed at a much higher rate and AT&T gets a write off. So the employee ends up paying a more taxes and the corporation pays less. What a joke

Pretty much, the masses don't care about the details, they only care for what they can see in front of them.

Got it. So everyone is an idiot for being happy a out something being given to them that they didn't have before, and your mad because the corporations get to use it as a write off? You just WANT to be miserable? You couldn't get them to do anything, without or without a write off. Youre probably the ass at the office Christmas party complaining that you don't like any of the free food or gifts.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

a reply to: theatreboy

Looks good on paper. Swell gesture. The bonus is taxed at a much higher rate and AT&T gets a write off. So the employee ends up paying a more taxes and the corporation pays less. What a joke

Pretty much, the masses don't care about the details, they only care for what they can see in front of them.

Got it. So everyone is an idiot for being happy a out something being given to them that they didn't have before, and your mad because the corporations get to use it as a write off? You just WANT to be miserable? You couldn't get them to do anything, without or without a write off. Youre probably the ass at the office Christmas party complaining that you don't like any of the free food or gifts.

No, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Feel free to carry on being happy about receiving scraps .

Truth is I am pessimistic that there will be any long term benefits to the people, I think you're jumping the gun a little and not looking at the bigger picture, personally I will wait and see exactly what difference it makes.
edit on 20-12-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
In a feudal society, you keep the peasants happy by throwing them scraps and loaves of bread every so often...

Late stage capitalism: ushering in neo-feudalism.
edit on 20-12-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Yep ,pretty much as you can see though judging by the comments, scraps are all that are needed for many, especially when they can point fingers and yell "winning
".

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
In a feudal society, you keep the peasants happy by throwing them scraps and loaves of bread every so often...

Late stage capitalism: ushering in neo-feudalism.

And the smart (not self entitled) peasants go out and create their own business, then they can be the ones throwing scraps to their up and coming younger peasants. (The American dream) You don't always have to be asleep to believe in it.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Most people think they're in a higher tax bracket than they actually are.

And most believe that their ship is "about to come any day now" (if it wasn't for the immigrants and minorities).

The Horatio Alger myth is alive and well today in America.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

There's only so much room on the top of the mountain, and those already there are fighting to stay there.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
And what all is going on behind the scenes? That is the question at hand, and it is only one company that it is doing this, while others are admitting that they are not going to put this into employees.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

I was watching a Jordan Peterson video where he was discussing George Orwell.

Orwell came to realize that it wasn't that many of the intelectual communist wanted to help the poor, it was that they hated the rich.

So they would rather the whole country get poorer to hurt the rich, even if that meant worse conditions for the people at the bottom.

That is what I believe we are seeing from some of these people.

link   

There's only so much room on the top of the mountain, and those already there are fighting to stay there.

You can make your own mountain with the right business idea and effort. Don't let a bunch of filthy rich people discourage you so easily.

link   
a reply to: Kettu

Truth is though if people didn't believe they could bring the American dream to fruition for themselves they would have given up long ago, belief of that dream is imperative.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Oh I'm not saying its impossible, but it takes a specific personality type to convince others to give you their money. There's a reason among top CEOs and businessmen there are significantly higher percentages of psychopathy and narcissism. You have to be willing to manipulate people and not feel guilty about it.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

You know nothing about economics. No one gets replaced when others make money. If i start say a restaurant does wal mart lose money? I always think that many peoples experience with economies comes from monopoly because they think the money you get with the game is all there is. Making money doesnt take anything from other businesses unless they are in direct competition in an area.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I hate to knock the wind out of your sails, but you failed to mention Coca-Cola and Pfizer plan to give any gains from their tax-cuts to their share holders.

Cisco, Pfizer, Coca-Cola plan to turn over gains from proposed tax cuts to shareholders

Source

Let's also ignore this interview with White House Economic Adviser Gary Cohn and CEO's.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bender151

Thanks.

Boy, you really set me straight. I hope the audience is every bit as impressed with your wit as i am.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

The bonus is taxed at a much higher rate and AT&T gets a write off.

Bonuses are taxed the same as your standard pay as long as you remain in the same bracket if using the aggregate method or at 25% using the supplemental method. Additionally, AT&T doesn't get a 'write off' for paying a bonus.

edit on 21-12-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
For those that say tax reform will do nothing for the economy or middle class and only benefits the rich, well AT&T is proving you wrong before the bill is even signed.

The telecom giant said in a press release on Wednesday that it would give more than 200,000 U.S. union members a special bonus of $1,000. The company also increased its capital expenditures budget by $1 billion in the U.S.
AT&T's CEO said it was in response to tax reform.

Good on AT&T. I hope many more companies follow their lead.

CNBC

Most won't follow suit.

And

$200,000 is a pittance compared to what they are getting from this. Handing such a paltry amount back to employees is an insult, but I suppose as an investment it is worth it's weight for the PR, since most people will buy it. The way unions operate I smell a dirty deal anyway, so I can see why they did it.

But oh yeah... That 200k is really going to boost the economy for the working class in America. It's a grain of sand. It's nothing.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
$200,000 is a pittance...

It's $200,000,000, not $200,000.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: redhorse
$200,000 is a pittance...

It's $200,000,000, not $200,000.

You're right. I can't math in the morning. My mistake.

Scratch that. That's a lot of money.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join