It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals Come to our Home for Help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
We've had two black cats and a bunny show up at our doorstep in the past year. I'm putting this discussion in Paranormal because I feel this is just a bit strange. These animals may be pets, but they're not my pets. The first time a bunny showed up on our lawn. We live in a semi-rural environment on an island 10 miles by 3 miles in size, about 27 square miles total. Access is by a single narrow bridge, the "Agate Pass Bridge" or by ferry boat to Seattle ten miles across Puget Sound, which is quite cold and deep. This bunny was a floppy eared type--not a wild bunny or jack rabbit. My wife stuffed the bunny in a cat carrier and we took it to an animal refuge site where they took care of it before the coyotes did. We thought little more of it. It had likely been dumped in the woods. Much of the island is still undeveloped forest.

Next a black cat showed up. I thought it was just a stray. It hung around for a couple of days and my wife started talking to it and it responded. (You CAN talk to cats. We had 4 siamese who had their own language (and attitude.)) This time we took the cat to the local vet where we discovered it was chipped. Its owners live off-island in a community about 25 miles away. There is no way that cat, whose name is Spook, ever got to the island on its own. The cat was dumped here the winter before. That means Spook survived an entire winter before he got to us. The owners suggested one of their neighbors with whom they had difficulty had dumped the cat on the island. We chalked this up to good fortune and were happy Spook made it back home.

Last night a black cat appeared at our doorway. I told my wife, "Spook is back." She didn't believe me, of course, but I finally got her to go see. It wasn't Spook, of course, but it was a very friendly young cat who wanted inside. We thought it was from around here and might go home, so we left it outside and went to a party. We got home about 9:00pm and the cat was still on the front porch. It's pretty cold around here right now and I did not want to leave the cat outside over night, so I cracked the door open and in walked the cat like he owned the place. Our two cats were not impressed. We had brought a dog (A dog!) into the house last week for a day, and now this! The next morning all three cats were outside the bedroom door waiting for us to get up. My wife took the cat to the vet, and the cat was chipped. We had already lined up two people who might take the cat, and I admit we were a little disappointed. But we did the right thing.

Now, the issue for me is why have three animals appeared at our doorstep within the last year or so? And I'm thinking this: There is an overall cat and/or animal consciousness that gets the word out. Our house is safe. If you can make it here you will be taken care of. The fact is though cats and dogs are deemed "smart," they simply do not have sufficient synapses in their brains for advanced intelligence. Sorry, but they do not, anecdotal stories notwithstanding. But on the whole they do, and if they have a level of species intercommunications going that could explain this behavior. In other words, it's paranormal behavior we're seeing. This is, of course, total speculation on my part. I really don't know what the issue is, but I'm not believing this is attributable to chance. And we're now waiting for the next visitor.

edit on 12/20/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

It's certainly an interesting coincidence (?).
I've always heard that both bunnies and black cats are signs of good fortune or prosperity. Folklore also says that a woman with a black cat will have many suitors and I can disprove that one.
Have you checked with any neighbors? I don't think you mentioned how populated you island is.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I am the same way, animals seem to follow me wherever I go. Black cats, dogs, rabbits, deer galore, turkeys, and yes the crowning glory a bald eagle! A bald Eagle saved us tens of thousands of dollars one time.

We had planned on building a house, we called the developer and didn't hear back, we had our down payment money for the lot. We finally got in touch with the builder. A bald eagle started to build a nest near our lot and the audubon society stopped all building. Exactly one week later we found out that we were going to be relocated by work. If not for that Eagle we would have been out of our lot money!! I have many many other weird "coincidences" regarding animals. A bunny helped me save my neighbors house from a fire!

I am also one of those people that dog owners say "oh my dog doesn't like anyone, but they love me" it happens all the time. A lady that worked at the humane society told me that animals can sense a good soul.

If animals like you, that is a good thing, if they don't like someone you best believe there is a reason for it!

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

All I can think of is if you didn't turn on any lights at night, would they still make their way to your doorstep?
Domesticated animals would associate lights with an easy meal?

Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Yes! This!

I just brought yet another cat into the feral cat coalition here in Portland to be fixed and get shots. He is the 5th one since we moved to this house four years ago. He was a mess but should be ok now. Cats that need help are always finding us and all of our indoor cats (4) are also rescues.

I joke that my address must be written on a public cat box somewhere... "go here for good food and love"

I also have a murder of crows that I'm friends with and they bring their sick (and dying) members to me for help. I've also saved three baby possums throughout the years that came for help as well as a couple of raccoons and squirrels.

Why me?

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

My, what an imagination! Inter-species communication networks?

Come now Schuyler, it was just random chance and your house is inviting.
And how can you say your house is "safe"? Look at your avatar!

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I fail to see how his avatar reflects his love for animals. Don't be an ass.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I'm glad you take care of animals like you do, You're a good guy.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

I fail to see how his avatar reflects his love for animals. Don't be an ass.

It doesn't. His avatar reflects his choice of dog security systems (which is scary and effective).

I was being an ass because he's always ultra-skeptical of anything other people write that isn't ice cold science. It was sarcasm... I was joking basically.

Why are you mad at me?

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hi Shuyler, thanks for being a friend to animals!

My opinion is that animals have an intuitive sense that helps them navigate to humans who will assist them, almost like telepathy. I've had the same thing happen to me with rats, cats, dogs, birds, and a snail. Sure, some of you may laugh and say it's just a coincidence, but, when it happens enough times it is difficult to shake the feeling that something else is going on.

These creatures are going out of their way to come to YOU. The creatures I have helped could have gone next door, across the street, or any other numerous places, but they chose to arrive on MY doorstep.

Either you, your wife, or both of you, are sending out signals that you will help them.

Best wishes for 2018!

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Muzzle change your avatar.
edit on 20-12-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

What is paranormal about animals coming to your home? I’m sure your place smells like food and looks like a comfortable spot. Animals aren’t mindless drones. This happens a lot. My neighborhood facebook group is full of this stuff.

I have cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, deer, opossums, racoons, snakes, mice, moles. I open my door and they all just turn to look at me.

Nothing supernatural about hunger and curiosity.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Response to questions. The island population is a little above 20,000. It is essentially a bedroom community to Seattle, upper middle class for the most part. We do not keep lights ablaze at night, and in any case, our house is no different than our neighbors with regards to access, number of lights on, etc. I did not canvass the neighbors, figuring a trip to the vet to check for chips would be the most productive way to go about it and the quickest. My wife does feed the squirrels and birds every day, and our backyard is not a yard at all, but a small forested enclave. That could set our house a bit apart from our neighbors. We're not over-the-top animal lovers or anything. No PETA or PAWS. Just two inside cats, which is more than enough with a Christmas tree up. In fact, I'm a bit of a disciplinarian. I'm not afraid to go after the cats when they are naughty and they know it, which is why they prefer Mommy. (Oops, I guess that gives something away, doesn't it?) Our neighbors on all side also have animals and food. Our house is just like theirs. In the case of the second black cat, we offered him food, but he was absolutely not hungry.

For those who do not believe in my idea of a group consciousness sort of thing, so be it. I don't care. As far as I'm concerned, you do not count. Random chance once? Sure. Nothing to write home about. Random chance twice? You bet, but there's your "coincidence." Random chance three times? Now that's beginning to strain credulity. It's not impossible, but statistically unlikely. This is not the first time I have heard of this sort of thing. There is additional testimony here, and I remember a story of a bird sanctuary set on a beach where a wounded pelican dragged himself down the beach and into the sanctuary for help with his broken wing. If you;re not open to this sort of thing, you'll never see it.

I like rock hard science and skepticism as well as anyone. Indeed, I am rather ill-treated on the UFO forum because I think there is nothing special about lights in the sky. How people get from there to aliens from space is beyond me--and I have actively studied the subject for 50 years. But to rely on "Science, by God, and nothing else!" misses a lot of the world and reality and is one of the things wrong today. People can't see past their noses, so they miss a great deal. But that's not my problem. Glad you like my avatar. He's a good puppy--just misunderstood. :-)
edit on 12/20/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Word gets around quickly that you help animals. They communicate, we just can't figure out how they do it.

I used to feed a bunch of deer and a deer with a broken lower leg was there one day, I do not know how it did that. We knew he would probably die, we could see the bone sticking out near the hoof. We just fed him lots. He stayed here for a long time, then we turned out the light and he moved along to the woods somewhere never to return. I could not fix his leg, I kinda felt bad, he had been coming to our house for many months to eat. All we could do was make sure he left with a full belly. The other deer missed a day at our house, but they were back again after the funeral and stayed till they went to the yarding ground back across the swamp two miles from here.

They get to be your friends after a while. I wish I could have done something. We called the vet, they said it will die and an injury in that area could not be fixed. Bummer.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

Muzzle change your avatar.

Done.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Impressive, kid.
edit on 20-12-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I believe animals are attracted to certain people. And, I believe those people are also attracted to animals. It's a mutual attraction and understanding that is difficult to define in conventional terms. It's not anything random. And animals don't react to everyone the same way.

It's a gift of sorts. You know it if you've got it.

-dex

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

For those who do not believe in my idea of a group consciousness sort of thing, so be it. I don't care. As far as I'm concerned, you do not count. Random chance once? Sure. Nothing to write home about. Random chance twice? You bet, but there's your "coincidence." Random chance three times? Now that's beginning to strain credulity.

Hahahaha, you have finally become one of us!
All it took was a cute bunny and some super cute kitties.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy

All I can think of is if you didn't turn on any lights at night, would they still make their way to your doorstep?
Domesticated animals would associate lights with an easy meal?

Just a thought.

We had the task of getting a mother cat and her six kittens used to humans. Kept them in our basement so they could have the free run of the place while still hearing human noises. Mother escaped and then managed to get another kitten to follow her. We'd thought we lost them, but they were actually living close to a drain at the bottom of our garden.

But eventually, she couldn't get enough food for her kitten, so they would camp outside our doorstep in the evenings, even when our lights were off. I think cats can tell when each other has had a good meal from the way they sniff each other. Then it's a matter of exploring in the direction the other cats came from.

When the weather became warmer, we'd leave the door open and then she actually brought her kitten into our living room and tucked him up in a spare bamboo basket under a table. It was never intended for that purpose, but it made a perfect sleeping box for the two cats as her kitten grew bigger.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Animals tend to know who cares about them, and who doesn't. Cats, especially, know who is safe and who isn't. And, of course one can talk to cats!! Ours would be offended if we didn't talk to them. They know a lot of what we say, too.

How they know is the question, of course. "Paranormal"? I'd say, depends on one's definition. Living creatures emit EM fields. Sharks use these as one means to track their prey, and I believe that other animals, and some people, can sense these to one degree or another as well. Changes in the fields could occur with changing moods, and attitudes, as well, and if an animal can sense this, then that would mean they'd have a way to know more about a person.

Then again, sometimes I think there is more to it. A couple of camping trips had me really wondering. One, I was tossing scrap bread crusts to birds, and every day, more and more birds would arrive; far more than we'd seen in previous days. I joked that they'd sent out messengers, with a "free food here" message. The other trip, I decided to feed a couple of raccoons that were around. They were really eyeballing the cookies we were eating, so I shared a couple. Within no time, there were far ore raccoons, and by the last night, we had more than a dozen coming for cookies. And, yeah, I know, not always a good plan, but I couldn't resist. One would actually come close and carefully pluck a cookie from my hand.

How did more birds and raccoon than were there initially know? I can't explain that. Can't explain why, either, when I visited an aunt, uncle, and cousin, who had a big dog, and literally never, ever, saw a cat in their yard, cats would show up demanding I pet them. My aunt was seriously half spooked by that one!

I wonder, in your case, if something about your location makes people more likely to dump there? Perhaps, if that' the case, animals that are left behind come because you already care for animals, and they somehow know this?

Fun topic, in any case!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join