It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simulation hypothesis, with a twist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Soooo.... hypothetical theory time.

I had a fever dream during which I experienced this theory, in a dream.

So the theory is this.

Suppose that hundreds or thousands of years ago, when humanity was at the actual date that we assume we are at now, i.e, 2017 (or 12,017 according to the holocene calendar), or maybe a century or two later when technology had advanced drastically, especially computer technology and the invention of human 'stasis' , which is basically freezing a human being in suspended animation for centuries or millenia.

Now supposing that we had made huge advancements in these two fields, as well as having the science to make generation stars-ships that can travel at speeds almost close to the speed of light. And also suppose that we found a star system that had one or more planets that are capable of supporting human life because their atmosphere, gravity etc is very similar to earth.

Now, the powers that be, decided to send off a few thousands or tens of thousands of people to colonize this habitable planet (or planets) and put them all in a big star ship and put all the human passengers into suspended animation. Now instead of simply letting them remain frozen, they used their amazing computer technology to link all these humans, in stasis, to a simulation of earth, as it is today, in the year 2,017.

So suppose, that all of us are actually in this star ship, in suspended animation, with our minds connected to this simulation of earth as it is today.
We would have no way to prove that we're not in a simulation.

So

We're all in a simulation of old earth (which maybe had become too overpopulated or maybe it became inhabitable due to us humans #ing up the planet with our tendencies to # up the environment and the planet that allowed us to evolve and develop such a sophisticated and advanced society in the first place).

We're all in a simulation of old earth, while in suspended animation, while a huge star ship (or maybe a whole fleet of star ships) is traveling at sub-light speeds to the distant star system that has a planet or two capable of sustaining human life.

Maybe when we die inside this simulation, we're simply 'reincarnated' into a new simulated body, born in the usual way, growing up, living life, dying again, reincarnating again, over and over, until we arrive at the new planet, at which point it will be revealed to us that we have been in suspended animation all along, living our lives inside a simulation during our long trip through the lonely vastness of space, while the ship (or ships) ran on autopilot, with highly advanced AI's making sure that the ships stay on course, avoid any space debris from harming the ships (maybe the ships have shields and stuff like that, that protects us from any massive objects that we might hit).

So, we're all in a simulation right now, being reincarnated over and over inside this simulation, until the time when we reach our destination and leave stasis and go down to the planet/s to start new lives there.
edit on 20-12-2017 by Starhopper because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2017 by Starhopper because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2017 by Starhopper because: Removed mentioned of illegal substance

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Starhopper

I like your theory and i enjoyed reading it.

But it leaves me with this one question... What difference does it make

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
That's an interesting story but it has no proof to back it up. Theoretically we could be living in a simulation for any multitude of reasons that we will never understand

S+F for imagination

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'll give you a star and flag. The staff frown on references to unlawful substance use so your thread may not survive.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy

I like your theory and i enjoyed reading it.

But it leaves me with this one question... What difference does it make

If we are in a simulation, does it mean that nothing we do matters? Or does every single moment matter, even if it is all a simulation? I think that even if we are in a simulation, we can't do anything about it, so it's best to live our lives as normal and just... try to be good humans.

So imo, it doesn't really make a difference as we can't do anything about our situation. We have to assume that whatever we do matters and our relationships, actions etc are all 'real' and have meaning and significance. Still, it's a fascinating thought experiment to me.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I'll give you a star and flag. The staff frown on references to unlawful substance use so your thread may not survive.

Edited my OP to remove mention of the illegal psychedelic.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starhopper

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

Edited my OP to remove mention of the illegal psychedelic.

Cool!
That was just a side note anyway and your post is thread worthy! You left me thinking of this

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
That's an interesting story but it has no proof to back it up. Theoretically we could be living in a simulation for any multitude of reasons that we will never understand

S+F for imagination

Thank you

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I like it, works for me! There is a 2009 novel by Stephen Baxter that has a somewhat related subplot.

Zane is no longer undergoing therapy and spreads rumours that the ship is actually a virtual reality simulation. The shipborn children, having never seen Earth for themselves, believe him and start a mutiny. Hoping to reveal the ship to be a simulation, they remove a metal plate from the hull, causing an uncontrolled decompression which kills and injures many passengers. 
Ark (Wikipedia)
edit on 20-12-2017 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
I like it, works for me! There is a 2009 novel by Stephen Baxter that has a somewhat related subplot.

Zane is no longer undergoing therapy and spreads rumours that the ship is actually a virtual reality simulation. The shipborn children, having never seen Earth for themselves, believe him and start a mutiny. Hoping to reveal the ship to be a simulation, they remove a metal plate from the hull, causing an uncontrolled decompression which kills and injures many passengers. 
Ark (Wikipedia)

I used to love reading books by Stephen Baxter. It was his Time Ships that started my love for hard science fiction by him and other hard sci fi authors. I haven't read Ark though. Thanks a lot for pointing it out to me. I will definitely put it on my to-read list now.

Another story with a similar concept (I think, because I'm halfway through it) is the awesome science fiction audio-drama podcast Edict Zero - FIS. This is an AMAZING podcast that you should give a try. It's well produced and the character and story development is simply mind-blowing.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

One question and one comment:

Question: Why does the population on the simulated Earth grow?

Comment: If this hypothesis were the case, then there does not need to be billions of us connected to the simulation while in suspended animation, but just you ("you" being the person reading this post).

Well, from my perspective, I would say I was the only one is suspended animation, because I know I am me. However, you (again, "you" being whomever is reading this sentence) doesn't know that anyone else is really a person connected to the simulation, or just 100% part of the simulation.

You could be all alone, and everyone else is totally simulated.

edit on 2017/12/20 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

Yes. Very similar to ideas that i might be god. Or god's dream (nightmare?) but in the end, all alone

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

So, we're all in a simulation right now, being reincarnated over and over inside this simulation, until the time when we reach our destination and leave stasis and go down to the planet/s to start new lives there.

There's no way in hell that's happening to me.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

There's no way in hell that's happening to me.

What if it is? I am fully aware that the "burden of proof" is on the shoulders of the claimer but what makes you so fully certain? Honest, friendly question to provoke further debate.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Faith, you know, the kind that can move mountains. Yeah that kind.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

If we are in a simulation, I think the people who got murdered, raped, enslaved... Are going to be really pissed off when they wake everyone up.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I sincerely hope I am going to wake up on a mind blowing star ship heading towards paradise!

I feel this will not be the case though.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

After waking up from the simulation on the new planet and living our lives there, what if upon death we wake up from that simulation too and after living our lives there, what if upon death we wake up from that simulation too and after living our lives there, what if upon death we wake up from that simulation too and after living our lives there, what if upon death we wake up from that simulation too and after living our lives there, what if upon death we wake up from that simulation too and after living our lives there, what if upon death we wake up from that simulation too and after living our lives there, what if upon death we wake up from that simulation too and after living our lives there.......

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

Faith, you know, the kind that can move mountains. Yeah that kind.

Oh i see. I have faith too, but i have not yet moved any mountains with it. You seem secretive. That intrigues me

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I intrigue me too.

What i mean is..it's intriguing.
edit on 20-12-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join