It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" no polish fishermen "

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
You threw it back? I hope you mean that you carefully put it back in the water after carefully unhooking it on a padded mat and then let it go when it had recovered and was ready to swim off....

No worries...I treated him with respect befitting his age.
As opposed to filleting him.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Bless your heart!

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yes to smoked eel, lovely.

You absolutely must try fishing for Mackerel and Bass with a fly rod or light gear. You see blokes feathering for Mackerel hauling up six at a time on rods that hardly bend at all but on a light rod a mackerel will go absolutely mental, as of course will Bass. It really is great fun, it's the nearest thing you will get to hooking a Bone Fish in the UK as pound for pound Mackerel must be one of the hardest fighting fish in the sea.

I have a Deer hair fly that imitates a floating dog biscuit which I have to go for Carp but as they go to 40lb plus on my lakes I have not yet had the bottle to give it a try. Maybe one day.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: SprocketUK

I can confirm that Pike tastes like dead birds with added pointy bones. Not nice but then in France it is a delicacy (but then the French will eat anything).

This whole thing is a bit offtopic, but I have to express my disagreement! You just haven't ever tasted properly made pike. I can guarantee you it's delicious. If you really want the recipe to great tasting pike, gimme a shout and i'll write you one.

Anything too small or old, tastes not so good, texture is woody if pike is old and big, like 8kg / 16 pounds. But if the pike is like 3-4 kg / 6-8 pounds; then it's optimum size and will taste very good. Also, it's nonsense that pike is full of spikes, simply not true, except in baby-pikes, which one should always release back to water anyways.

I get to eat some fish, fishing for food. Including perch (bass), zander, salmon, trout, PIKE
, baltic herring sometimes, white fish when available.

Those fishes, are like hundred dollar bills swimming in the waters. In the local market, 1kg costs easily 10-30 € /kg.

Fishing for food, the only thing that makes sense, me thinks.

- Every Polish fisherman i've encountered in the country i'm living, has been harmless one.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

we have perch. They tend to be used as bait (at least by me, when fishing for Striped Bass) unless they are larger.

"game fish" (bass, pike, catfish...stuff people will actually eat) get released if they are too small. Bait fish are released if im not looking for bait (you don't usually get them in deeper waters, though).

Carp...too many bones. Some folks will eat it. Ill eat it, but i don't prefer it due to the bones.

FWIW, "sea bass" isn't a bass. It was renamed to make it easier to sell. Its, imo, the most delicious food from the ocean next to lobster.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
How do you fish without a Pol?

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Our UK Sea Bass (the European Bass) or Dicentrarchus Labrax is very much a proper Bass from the family Moronidae. Your American Striped Bass is actually from the Sunfish family.

Anyways, back on topic, this fishery owner chap was just asking for trouble if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I use small sunfish for bait.

Yeah, UK sea bass isn't the same as "sea bass" as a popular consumable in the US high end fish market. That is the Patagonian Toothfish. Great meat, tons of bony spikes inside the meat.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: John0101

Thanks, but you can't really buy pike here and I return all the Pike I catch.

I must have had a bad one, it was about 8lb..

I have come across some Polish fishermen who were great, but some Eastern Europeans, not so great. Poaching, basically.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
How do you fish without a Pol?

You can trench out from a river that floods, dig a hole and make it seem nice for catfish. You can use a fish wheel. You can use a net. A trot line. Bow and arrow is fun, but harder.

Fish traps are the best way, other than a fish wheel in a high run river.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Different rules here in Scotland, I have fished with a few Polish guys, they sure like a bit of pike, Too boney for me.

So many ponds and Lochs up here with huge pike problems and the general rule is take what you want coarse fish wise. The smaller Lochans are hardly ever permitted unless they are full of Brownies, but put the monster pike back, They tend to keep the diseases down.

Dont think there are enough Polish fishermen here to cause any real problems with the course fish population though i dont know if anyone is keeping tabs on it. I know England is Different, Some small ponds/canals in certain towns and villages have been fished for years without the need to restock. I can see how a 2 acre sized pond might become devoid of fish if people remove them.

To Ban a certain section of the community the way these guys have is waaaaaay wrong. It's the Old No Blacks No Dogs No Irish sign again.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Bow and arrow!!!? Carpers over here would get really triggered about that! I get that things are different in the Colonies, of course.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

A fish wheel would likely make them crazy too. It can pull fish out of the water by the hundreds per hour if placed in a heavily run stream.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I knew a Polish fisherman..

He went to visit family in Minnesota and being from The South, He thought He'd try His hand at ice fishing. So He finds a nice spot and begins to cast His line out and using a heavier lure He is getting some great, long casts.
A guy sees Him throwing His lure over the ice and drives over on His snowmobile.
The guy on the snowmobile says "Hey are You Polish"...? The angler says "Yes, I am.." The snowmobile guy says "So am I, get on the back and We can go trolling..."
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I knew a Polish fisherman..

He went to visit family in Minnesota and being from The South, He thought He'd try His hand at ice fishing. So He finds a nice spot and begins to cast His line out and using a heavier lure He is getting some great, long casts.
A guy sees Him throwing His lure over the ice and drives over on His snowmobile.
The guy on the snowmobile says "Hey are You Polish"...? The angler says "Yes, I am.." The snowmobile guy says "So am I, get on the back and We can go trolling..."

Boom tsh.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I wonder if the sea bass we get is different to yours?

I Googled your super fact (I like a nice fact) and it brought up the Patagonian Toothfish - which doesn't look like the UK sea bass.

However they must be similar because the silvery UK bass is very tasty!!

On the subject of perch, our record is around 5lb, the average stamp is just a pound, a two pounder is a real monster. It sounds crazy, why would we fish for such a fish? We even drop-shot (link) for small perch which you would use as bait. I think we do this because it's a real mean predator and a natural fish to our wild waters.

Some of those striped bass in your country get huge, I'd love to catch one in the wild on a lure.

Tight lines.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Bloody hell - just looked on wiki and the largest Striped Bass (netted - not caught on rod and line) went 124lbs. Good sport on a light fly rod!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Don't look real do they!?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

No, indeed. I suppose everything in the US is bigger than over here.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I knew a Polish fisherman too. He went to an Optician who sat him down and asked him to read the 5th line down from an eye chart. The Pole exclaimed "Read it? I know the fella!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join