It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force releases timeline and scope of B-52 re-engining

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Good for the boys and girls wrenching those things now a days, the buff is my favorite because she was my first in the USAF but those engines sucked in about every conceivable way.

Glad to see they finally gave up on a 4 engine design that was never going to work and we knew that back in '99.

20th bomb sq, BAFB 1997-2001.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Pfft, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I mean just because the rudder would never be certified, and would be laughed out of the engineering offices if it was done today.....

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hehe we were thinking more about the NDI scans we saw and the cracks that were already in the airframe, none of us wanted to see the wings rip off.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Yeah, there was that minor little issue too. Think of all the extra damage they could do when the fuselage hit though.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

hehe in all honesty lately my thoughts have been along the lines of how many of my disability claims are going to trace back to that witch, cause you aint lived till you 2 manned a remove and replace of an engine cowling with no trailer, its no wonder my back is so screwed.

not to mention that gawd awful whine off the TF-33's, or the smoke... god how I hated cart starts, cause that prik of a maintenance officer always wanted all 8 loaded and fired. What a pain to clean afterwards, plus all the carcinogens that were inhaled during launch and during clean up on landing.

Course with all that said, if I felt I could handle the actual physical workload on that beast I would go back to her in a heart beat...

eta: Ill be happy to return to my low maintenace older model kc-135.

edit on 4-2-2018 by Irishhaf because: additional thought.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I love the whine of the TF33. I'm gonna miss that bitch when she's gone.

Way back when, my father was a B-52 crew chief at Castle. They had one pilot trainer that someone had twisted the back on. On one flight in the syllabus, they had to hand fly it the entire flight. More than one student got off hunched over, rubbing their back, plaintively asking the instructor if they all flew like that.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Got a taste of that in the simulator on Barkatraz, I could not imagine doing that 8+ hours many you got to be in good shape to handle those beasts by hand jamming.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

He used to tell me about standing on the top of the fuselage of just about every one, and seeing various amounts of twist to the fuselage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join