It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast, Cox, Frontier All Raising Internet Access Rates for 2018

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well for anybody that supported the repeal of net neutrality, ISP's seem like their wasting no time in improving your internet service now those terrible government regulations are gone.

www.digitalmusicnews.com...

Just this morning, Karl Bode of DSLReports caught wind of numerous increases at mega-ISP Comcast.  But that is simply the latest in a string of planned increases by the likes of Cox, Frontier, and even DirecTV and Dish Network.

In all cases, these are increases for essentially the same services, with Bode noting that American will be stuck paying ‘significantly more money for the same service in the new year’.  In many cases, the changes are padded into existing bills, with most consumers failing to see the changes.

“Even Comcast’s streaming TV service Instant TV, barely a year old, is seeing price hikes,” Bode noted.

“Users that subscribe to this service can expect to pay $3 to $3.50 more per month in the new year.”

Additionally, Comcast is jacking up its modem rental fees by 10%. “Modem rental fees will be bumped $1 to $11 per month, while missed payment fees are also being increased fifty cents to $10,” the report continues.

Here’s a quick rundown of those increases, based on a notice sent to Cox subscribers.

Starter will change from $34.99 to $36.99.
Essential will change from $52.99 to $55.99.
Preferred will change from $67.99 to $71.99.
Preferred 100 will change from $72.99 to $76.99.
Premier will change from $79.99 to $82.99.

Frontier is wedging a $2 ‘Internet Infrastructure Surcharge’ onto most accounts. That includes promotional deals, which are advertised as being cheaper, but leave out a lot of hidden fees.

I look forward to seeing what other great ways corporations can improve the internet.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Do like we do the neighbor and I split the bill and have a nice little high speed network. We're a couple of hundred feet apart and for a few bucks of equipment life is good. They are hardly ever there anyway.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Comcast stock looking real good right now

oh expect your Netflix, Amazon prime and everyone else to have more expensive rates as well because they will raise rates on their providers providing all the content that take all the bandwith as well, oh and prepare for slower internet service.

let the games begin!

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

First off don't rent your modem......

It's a scam and a bad one at that.

Secondly, how did Net Neutrality stop that $8 A MONTH increase last year? Oh wait....it didnt.

2016 Comcast rate increase

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Big deal just a couple bucks more then I was paying 12 years back .
Simple really dont buy it .
50 -80 bucks a month for net and cable well we pay 50 now - so what I payed 48 -12 years back .
As for new ways to watch tv again you dont need it .
lord dudes making a post about a 2 $ incress lol less then a cup of coffee .
now if it went over 100 $ well then I would just live with out it and so would the millions of other costumers they would lose .
Its called what the market will stand .
They know exactly how much the average person is willing to pay and yep keep it as close as they can to it .

Heck back when it came out it was pay by the mint and people were spending 200 a month and had data caps
Back when sat first really got going just the dish could cost 1000 $
You know i am 52 now and back when I was 14 ma bell charged my parents 14 $ a month for LOCAL ( within 20 miles service . any thing out side that was Long distance and if you had a friend in the next town and talked alot your bill would be 200 $ easy .
Now I can call anyware in the world for 35 $ a month only twice what the Basic cost 35 years agaio and talk forever .
and even get 500 megs of data to boot and for 50 darn near unlimited Unless you stream .
And if you do any hot spot will handle that .

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I really don't understand how folks continue to fight the wrong battles.

Getting government out of controlling things is a good thing. Now if you really want to make a statement, confront the monopoly of delivering programming on the same infrastructure. The monopolies that exists, there is your argument. That is the battle we could all work into.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
OH MY GOD!

$3.50!

Three dollars and fifty cents!

I'm OUTRAGED!

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The government runs the AMTRAK system.

Who would trust them for the internet ?

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
the market will determine the cost of cable

also we need to classify internet as a utility considering how integral it is to our economy now and manage it like we do the rest of them

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

No we don't.

People that want it declared a utility want to give it bigger subsidies.

People can live without internet.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

None of this has bubkis to do with Net Neutrality. Regulations never restricted cable companies from setting equipment rental fees, late payment fees, or setting service package rates. This is a disingenuous attempt by you to tie this to the FCC decision.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
OH MY GOD!

$3.50!

I'm OUTRAGED!

Trumps tax cut should take care of that.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: neo96
OH MY GOD!

$3.50!

I'm OUTRAGED!

Trumps tax cut should take care of that.

So would investing $20 bucks in Bitcoin,Bitcoin Cash,Litecoin,Dash, or Ethereum

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

None of this has bubkis to do with Net Neutrality. Regulations never restricted cable companies from setting equipment rental fees, late payment fees, or setting service package rates. This is a disingenuous attempt by you to tie this to the FCC decision.

if I've heard that the FCC didn't have the power to enforce it ANYWAY!!

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

or XRP... don't forget

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Bitcoin Cash

You dirty, dirty heathen.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

or XRP... don't forget

I been watching that too like a hawk.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Bitcoin Cash

You dirty, dirty heathen.

It's at $4600 at the moment.

Doubled in value since the weekend

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I expect it to double again. These arses are printing money and I'm really not cool with it. However, yes, it will be profitable.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I expect it to double again. These arses are printing money and I'm really not cool with it. However, yes, it will be profitable.

LOL cable companies are in the wrong business.

<<   2  3 >>

join