It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump admin to take down White House petition website after not responding to any petitions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MorpheusUSA

You highlight the absurdity of them letting us eat cake with petitions.

Its a pressure valve for the people and nothing more.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm serious.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Not at all surprised by the move.

Accept no negativity.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

Good. Mass sentiment is often stupid. What’s best for the country should be the source of law, and finding out what that is can be obfuscated by silly petitions built on crowd emotions.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

No offense, but I hope that it doesn't make a comeback. I have always though that site to be mostly a way to waste government's time.

It's not the federal government's job to specifically respond to and entertain each and every "petition" that just happens to garner the "signatures" of, at minimum, 0.03% of the American population.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Ever since Obama couldn't get the Death Star built after being petitioned I think the site became worthless.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I don't know why you would say that. Processes like this are what got us proposed names for boats like "Boaty McBoatface".

Nothing stupid about that.

LMAO

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I don't know why you would say that. Processes like this are what got us proposed names for boats like "Boaty McBoatface".

Nothing stupid about that.

LMAO

I could get behind that one.

But the notion that an empire should be governed by the whims of whatever sentiment will grab popular feeling, usually by catching the eye in someone’s Facebook feed, is absurd.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Haha, I love the idea of this dystopian future America where it becomes fashionable for women to wear those scarves, like it's just a natural consequence of the poverty and oppression. I mean I genuinely just thought it was funny, not trying to make any point.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Its where we are going, im afraid. I don't like to blame generations, so this isn't really a blame. But millenials seem to be more comfortable with the notion of an electronic democracy than my generation was, and I feel that we will eventually end up there throughout the west. If we don't sway totalitarian instead, that is.

But even in a totalitarian system...making voting into entertainment would seem to be a reasonable evolution from where we stand today. You let the masses vote on unimportant things to placate them.

Let them eat cake, in other words.

Im not a fan of the petition at WH.gov. It was just meant to shut up millenials.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Should have been taken down after the death star.

It's a effing joke.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yes, people should have to talk to their reps and senators which will assure a listening ear and changes.

Screw the people.

Also remove net neutrality so as to help make the people's voice even lower.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Yes, people should have to talk to their reps and senators which will assure a listening ear and changes.

No it won't. They usually only give lip service in reply. Do you think Tom Cotton cares about what his constituents think? The only people he cares to listen to are the Koch brothers.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Does this reply mean you are not speaking to me? Does it mean you will never speak to me again? If so, can I please have that confirmed in writing and witnessed by a reputable commissioner for oaths?

Many thanks.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The architect of the petition system, itself, couldn't be assed with responding to many petitions which exceeded the threshold.
www.theatlantic.com...

I think the website idea was an attempt to be clever by Obama, which ultimately became a thorn in his side and this POTUS wisely decided to not allow it to become the same with his administration.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Oh I very much doubt this admin will bring back petitions on a new site. That's just their lie for taking it down on the reasons it needs a new website, which is total horse poop.

That said, the petitions are a great way for the gov't to see where the public stands on issues but that's all they were good for because Obama's admin didn't do anything, that I can think of, when it came to petitions. I could be wrong but I'm coming up with nothing.

Still, there's no reason to take it down or move it to another website. Trump wants it gone because he doesn't want any petitions that goes against him and being that he's just won the title for least popular president for his first year in office I'm sure his handlers know those numbers won't be getting better anytime soon. Trumps only hope for better polling numbers is a terrorist attack, bigly terrorist attack. You know, like how 9/11 propelled Bush in the polls.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: Sillyolme

Except the tax bill that just passed, but you know facts are lost on the left

Bet you didnt know they are going to have to revote on it? The GOP messed up the bill while they are trying to rush it through.

But yet calling out others for not getting the facts right... Tsk.

SOURCE READ IT!

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Maybe to save money on something useless is good enough reason. I bet it wasn't like a normal business site I bet it took 20 people or more to run because that's the way government works. Good riddance someone can do it for the advertising revenue if they want but someone would be offended by something advertised and that would be that.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

How much money do you think it costs us to run that one site website? Well, according to Trump's team a newer version would save us millions a year. If that's true, just how much money is it costing us now? Either Team Trump is lying or a petition website is really expensive.

You know what else would save a lot money? Ending wars and funding military contractors, weapons manufacturers, and god knows who else involved in the MIC. That's just one good start. Shutting down this site because Obama started it isn't gonna lower our taxes or fund our next mission to the Moon.

edit on 19-12-2017 by Swills because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join