It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Aerospace Industries Releases Technical Specifications for the TF-X

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) has released the official specifications of the TFX, officially known as the Milli Muharebe Uçağı (National Combat Aircraft).

As listed on the TAI website, the TFX will have a maximum take-off weight (MTOW) of 27,215 kg, length of 19 m and wingspan of 12 m. It will use two turbofan engines, each with 9072 kgf in thrust output.

In terms of performance, the TFX is to have an operational radius of over 1,111 km and a flight ceiling of over 16,764 m (i.e. 55,000 ft). It will have a maximum speed of Mach 2. TAI did not release the maximum payload or empty take-off weight of the TFX.

In its statement for the TFX’s profile, TAI stated that the TFX “is envisaged … [to] work with F-35A planes planned to enter the inventory of the Turkish Air Force,” adding that TFX production will run until 2070.

quwa.org...

The fighter is somewhat comparable to the F-35 for the stats above. The length is longer for the TFX and the wingspan, but the max takeoff weight is lighter. The engine thrust (individually) is significantly less than the F135 without the afterburner (20, 000 lbs-f vs 28,000 lbs-f) but together is more. If there is no afterburner, it is less than the max with afterburner for the F135 (40,000 lbs-f for the TFX and 43,000 lbs-f for the F-35). It will probably have afterburners though.

The date for the manufacturing is just mind boggling though. 50 years. yeesh. I can't imagine what warfare in 2070 will be like. I suspect these long run times are going to be a fantasy. We'll see.

Keep in mind, before criticism, the British are helping. Also, convergence, my friends, is not merely for Asian countries.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

50 years. Why bother?
Buy American!

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Seriously, what's the point. Air war has changed so much in 20 years it's not funny.
edit on 12/19/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Pretty sure 9072 kgf includes afterburner. In any event seems to be a F-35 clone albeit maybe more optimized for air-to-air combat. I am looking forward to seeing if it does anything unique or different.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: C0bzz

Pretty sure 9072 kgf includes afterburner. In any event seems to be a F-35 clone albeit maybe more optimized for air-to-air combat. I am looking forward to seeing if it does anything unique or different.

Somebody paint me a picture of "air-to-air" combat beyond 2030.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

There you go - I’m afraid it’s hard to make out the detail because they’re all cloaked.

Bob

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

50 years. Why bother?
Buy American!

If you buy American you rely on the goodwill of the USA for support. Maybe they can envisage the time thier actions on the world stage mean they won't have that support.

This is about strengthening thier industry and picking the design brains of BAE. The way Turkey is developing I'm not sure helping them is such a great idea.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Turkish plane in 1948.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oh, I agree. I snicker when they talk about the f-22 or f-35 flying through 2060.

The Turks don't want to be dependent on anyone if they can help it. Doing this without us tech means they can export to wherever without the us veto.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

50 years. Why bother?
Buy American!

Because it's arguably better to invest something in your own aerospace industry, especially if you are worried about LM's ability to read your mail, so to speak, or turn your $120M fighter into a fancy tarmac decoration with a code update making your air force dependant on the goodwill of the US. They are still planning an F-35 buy, but that might be precarious.

Plus by planning a 50 year run on paper, you amortize the costs over 50 years for the bean counters. It keeps the unit price low, and you can always cut the run short or use the increasing unit cost to argue against a cut.

Also, the useful life spans of combat aircraft have steadily increased. The F-15 first flew in 1972, and has a orders on the books through 2022. That makes.... 50 years. It's not at all impossible that a cheap(-wish) locally-produced fighter would still be worth running a line for attrition and subsidizing the industry.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

edit on 12/19/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I didnt read it but was there included a Hyperspace Drive, Cloaking Device, Laser Cannon and Plasma Bombs because thats the sh1t I want to see in 70 years when I am 114 years old.

Ability to Operate from a Starship Cruiser Class and a Death Star as well as Austere runways on hostile planets.

Must be able to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs (which seems odd as google is telling me a parsec is a unit of distance not speed?).

Turkey, perhaps its a typo, they will probably not exist in 70 years, we will all be Chinese!

top topics

join