It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amtrak train derails onto I-5 near Lacey

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: intrptr

Ouch. 80 mph, train cars tumbled off the train trestle onto a crowded freeway, during rush hour.

80 MPH??

State law mandates a maximum of 50 MPH for all trains in Washington St.

There seems to be confusion. I believe it was 18mph.

Right now the sitrep says report of fatalities but no confirmation.

ETA: fatalities now confirmed. Local reports are hunting at a vehicle on the tracks causing this.

I'm not a physicist, but I highly doubt 18 MPH would have enough momentum to carry cars onto the I-5.

I've been looking at pictures, there are cars on the ground on both sides of the bridge. I believe you are correct. 18mph would not be enough.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Ouch. 80 mph, train cars tumbled off the train trestle onto a crowded freeway, during rush hour.

80 MPH??

State law mandates a maximum of 50 MPH for all trains in Washington St.

www.wsdot.wa.gov...

They must have changed that law, for the high speed Amtrak project

Washington state received nearly $800 million in federal high-speed rail funds.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

AP is reporting that the train was going at 81 mph moments before crash. Information came from a website that tracks trains in real time.
2 mph faster than it should have been at that point.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

25 plus being treated at area hospitals. 6 fatalities. Numbers expected to go up.

Local sources still reporting an obstruction as cause.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I believe there was a lot of local pushback and protest about this new high-speed rail going through that town. That alone provides incentive for a local nut to think damaging or otherwise compromising the track at that overpass was the solution. I think we may find later in the investigation it was motivated by this reason, locally.

No protest should result in the deaths of innocents.

NONE.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Some are just manual Derails. If this bridge is near a split or side rail there could just be a derail system near by. Or I guess you could just buy one.

Most are just locked with a pad lock BTW.

edit on 18-12-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I agree - and it was the trains first run. There's been a lot of hate gab around here because of that thing. It's hard for me to believe someone would have intentionally done this but...

And 8 are confirmed dead now.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It's still saying six people have died where I am.
It looks like one carriage is completely on the motorway, although the report is that most of the casualties are from the train.

Something on the track, or too high a speed...but this is the first day for a high speed service, but not for that bridge I would have thought?

CBS,

edit on 18-12-2017 by smurfy because: Video.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I saw some stories on Twitter about Antifa pouring cement on the tracks....I'm looking into deeper. I hope its not true...

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What's with the Labrat banner?
Photoshop by a jerk claiming photo rights?
Or is that something unrelated?

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Probably just graffiti.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits
What's with the Labrat banner?

Seems to be a prolific group of graffiti vandals. I think it's "Lab Rat", two words.
Last image even includes "KNATS"

edit on 12/18/17 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Looks like the lead engine is on the highway and the trailing one is still on the tracks. It looks like the curve was straightened out . Speed wasn't an issue if it was rated for 80 then it would have been safe at 100. Guessing sabotage if they had been having threats. There is a camera in the cab and a large data recorder.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
I saw some stories on Twitter about Antifa pouring cement on the tracks....I'm looking into deeper. I hope its not true...

InfoWars has an article about this.

Who knows how much truth there is to it, but the claim is that an Antifa affiliate called "It’s Going Down" was trying to stop fracking supplies from leaving the Port of Olympia.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Cement would take a lot of time to harden to make it useful. Something steel would work but it would be a lot of work too.

Messing with switches would / should have shut everything down immediately.

Could possibly unbolt a section on a curve that might be the easiest.

Cameras will see whatever happened

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Now saying a truck was on the tracks. Antafukcs have removed their threatening post.

Sounds like the guilty party. You can drive right off the Pacific Coast Highway right to the accident.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

My wife was on the way to Olympia this morning and was stuck in the traffic mess. I am a train buff and naturally asked her to snap a few photos but she said she couldn't get near enough before she was turned away.

I am up in Sumner/Lake Tapps and very glad she was not involved. My thoughts go out to those who were injured and the families of those who died in the wreck.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: evc1shop

So glad wife is safe!

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Got t be careful about this - speculation I think. I heard that there was twitter activity that called for this beforer it happened... but I can't find the posts...

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Rumors the tracks were "monkeyed with"

Or an obstruction.

A U.S. official told AP track obstruction is seen as possible cause.
A vehicle on the tracks might do it.
edit on 12/18/2017 by Devino because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join