It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A War Trump Won

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Source

NY Times columnist praises Trump for winning against ISIS, hits media for not giving credit

Ross Douthat, who previously endorsed Hillary Clinton, wrote that the Trump administration surprised him in foreign policy, namely in the war on ISIS that Trump has won.

“If you had told me in late 2016 that almost a year into the Trump era the caliphate would be all-but-beaten without something far worse happening in the Middle East, I would have been surprised and gratified,” Douthat wrote

Douthat wrote that Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq – which he calls “the defining foreign policy calamity of Barack Obama’s second term” – were effectively routed by Trump without the need of a massive ground troop invasion and without getting into a war with Russia or Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad.

Douthat wrote that it is a “press failure” for succumbing to “the narrative of Trumpian disaster” and ignoring the story.

Source

A scathing indictment of the Media, Obama's failure and a clear indication that the Media is working against the US government and are the real closest allies to Vladimir Putin and enemies of the State. Putin's own media propaganda machine couldn't dream of working against the US government and attacking the moral of the People like our own Media is currently engaging in.
edit on 18-12-2017 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

They'll either credit Obama or ignore it.

While ISIS has not been totally defeated, they have been beaten back.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

There seems to be a lot more work to be done before we can say ISIS has been defeated or that any "war" has been won.

I also believe that it has been Russia themselves that had the biggest impact in ISIS and their efforts in Syria.
edit on 18-12-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

There seems to be a lot more work to be done before we can say ISIS has been defeated or that any "war" has been won.

I also believe that it has been Russia themselves that had the biggest impact in ISIS and their efforts in Syria.

if you inverse your statement, you'll know what every Trump followers think about the current state of the isis threat, base on this first upper hand in the battle.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
And people wonder why there so many misguided people with hijacked good intentions in our country. They have been listening to propaganda their whole lives.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: RogueWaterC1
And people wonder why there so many misguided people with hijacked good intentions in our country. They have been listening to propaganda their whole lives.

It's funny how people only criticize and hate in other people what they do not like about their own character. Maybe it is you who is misguided.

edit on 18-12-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This sounds like a throwback to this

At least it's only Fox News saying it and not the President this time. Hey OP, have you ever heard of a power vacuum? Wanna know what happens when they show up in international politics?
How Islamic State’s defeat could result in ‘ISIS 2.0 or al-Qaeda 3.0’

"The Islamic State is almost defeated, but a radical Islamist insurgency will remain in both Iraq and Syria as the fighters turn to traditional terrorism," Ayham Kamel, practice head of Middle East and North Africa at Eurasia Group, told CNBC on Thursday.

"However, losing the pillars of its state, ISIS no longer represents a strategic threat to the integrity of either Iraq or Syria. There's even a possibility of alliances with al-Qaeda in Syria (the Nusra Front) as these configurations are usually fluid," he said.

"The danger here is that (with) absent reconstruction aid, terrorism will remain a key challenge. The core challenge is that the world continues to focus on military tools to defeat a problem that transcends an armed challenge."

So OP, how are those reconstruction efforts in Syria and Iraq doing? Does Trump even care? Do you?
edit on 18-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Uhm, but the US hasn't defeated ISIS.

ISIS were defeated in Iraq by the Iraqi army with support from American and British forces.

ISIS were defeated in Syria by Syrian and Kurdish forces with Russian support.

And ISIS haven't really been 'defeated' anyway, they've just melted away into the population to wait for their next opportunity.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, we don't care. Trump's speech to the 50 ME leaders laid it out quite clearly. We're no longer into 'nation rebuilding' or enforcing democracy.

Isis was/is the target. It's up to them to pick up the pieces. Helping them is optional.

It's the only way to get out of the ME.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Uhm, but the US hasn't defeated ISIS.

ISIS were defeated in Iraq by the Iraqi army with support from American and British forces.

ISIS were defeated in Syria by Syrian and Kurdish forces with Russian support.

And ISIS haven't really been 'defeated' anyway, they've just melted away into the population to wait for their next opportunity.

And Isis was sitting pretty with their own nation state selling oil and practicing slavery while Obama was at the helm. See the difference?

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Well there you go. Your thread is useless because in a few months there will be a new bad guy for everyone to rant and rave about and we'll restart this song and dance for what is it... the fourth time now? Probably more than that actually.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well there you go. Your thread is useless because in a few months there will be a new bad guy for everyone to rant and rave about and we'll restart this song and dance for what is it... the fourth time now? Probably more than that actually.

So you are on record as this being a current victory but you don't think it will last long. At least you see the Trump win, it's a start. You will be on team Orange in no time, baby steps at first.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Uh... No. I don't think it was a victory on Trump's part. In fact I never actually agreed with the OP on that point. I JUST said this thread is useless. If you want to revel in shallow victories that don't amount to much in the long run, do you, but I"m more concerned with ACTUAL victories that make these problems truly go away. Not allow it to go into hiding only to resurface under a different name.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
He went to warrior monk and said this is what I want get it done, Mattis then took the handcuffs off and the military got to start actual interdiction efforts against them without having to clear everything first with someone in DC.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Actually he's right. Let's face it, it doesn't have to be the U.S. or Trump that creates a new target. Assad was set up as the 'next one' but so far Trump hasn't taken the bait.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

More has been done to defeat ISIS in the lat 8 months than in the lat 8 years. If that trajectory continues, ISIS will be defeated with 2 years.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Perhaps even more important is the fact that Trump has stuck to his promised route for the U.S.. As any action in the ME has risk, predictability may be the most important 'first step' in regaining some form of stability.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

It's amazing that without obama funding them, they ran out of money. So weird.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Uh... No. I don't think it was a victory on Trump's part. In fact I never actually agreed with the OP on that point. I JUST said this thread is useless. If you want to revel in shallow victories that don't amount to much in the long run, do you, but I"m more concerned with ACTUAL victories that make these problems truly go away. Not allow it to go into hiding only to resurface under a different name.

If it's a useless thread, why are you on it?

I do agree the potential you cite is a very distinct possibility. But so far, not. Trump isn't Obama, either Bush, or any of the other Presidents that involved us in the ME.

There IS hope.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You said it yourself, Trump isn't interested in nation building. So once we deoccupy Syria then the terrorists will move right back in. Iraq may catch a break because their government is a bit more stable, but then again you never know. What I do know is that you are being stupidly naive if you don't think another terrorist organization won't fill in the gaps. Trump may not have started this, but that doesn't mean he is handling this issue correctly.

There IS hope.

Not with Trump. Mr. I Don't Care About Nuance.
edit on 18-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join