It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Gray Area...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Take the case a little girl of 4 is molested/raped by a family member.

Now take the case this went on for 8 years. A mother who knew and deflected the truth, an older brother who 'took the matter in hand' - only to cause a revitalization in the rape/molestation.

A child who was used, pimped out, degredated, beaten and 'purged' from the 'family' when the TRUTH came out.

Now? Years later? So many women and men are 'coming out' about their past and the complete destruction of their lives.

There's a belief (in many areas) the victim should 'forgive and forget'.

There's also the belief the victim has been re-victimized by the social norm of the 'forgive-forget-get over it'.

Now comes another train of thought.

The victim should be recompensed in a monetary (and or physically substantial way) for the terrors inflicted on them when they were too young to even seek help.

All that being said? If you, were an adult survivor of childhood rape?

Would you - years later - in a society that acknowledges these crimes - seek to bring your abuser to 'justice'? Or not?

Throwing it out there for opinions, advice, whatever.

Thanks.
edit on 4419Sunday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Is it just me or are threads like this too disturbing.

I don't want to derail the thread and I know this is just one guys opinion but I think these kind of issues are not really appropriate for ATS or discussion on any online forum (other than perhaps ones set up specifically for survivors of this). For me its just such a dark topic, I don't want it to be shut down so victims don't have a voice and I really do believe that all incidents of child abuse should be exposed and justice served.

Yet I also often feel like general online discussion forums are not really the place for it.

There will be a lot of people who come to sites like ATS for entertainment, escapism from things like having been abused and threads like this take that away from them.

I dont know could just be me, but I really don't think that anything around child abuse/rape or anything along those lines is appropriate for most online forums. It might just be that its not a topic I am all that comfortable with (even though thankfully never experienced it myself) but I often think that during online discussion on these topics the sensitivity required is lost, as too is respect for the victims at times.

I also think that its a bit of a stupid question at the heart of the OPs thread

Would you - years later - in a society that acknowledges these crimes - seek to bring your abuser to 'justice'? Or not?

I think that all rape victims want justice, I don't think anyone who is abused is ever going to be ok with the idea that the predator just walks away with out any consequences for his/her actions.

In fact asking these types of questions goes back to what I was saying about how I don't think topics this dark are best placed on a online forum because it lacks any kind of sensitivity or respect for the victims. I think it kind of proves my point about why I was saying I don't think topics like this are appropriate for most online discussion forums.
edit on 17-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I understand your points, I do.

Yet where can you go now on any news station which you'll not find this topic on top of the headlines.

My opinion? It's not an easy thing to share this. On the other hand, for the past 20 years ATS has been my surrogate family.

If you don't want to participate? Read it? Hear it? Hide your head up your arse and move along.

Seriously - when did ATS become a PG13 let's all be a 'happy happy joy joy' site?

Your opinion is noted. That being said you're an echo of my mother.

'It's to dark to talk about let's just pretend it didn't happen'.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Yet where can you go now on any news station which you'll not find this topic on top of the headlines.

Yeah thats true, does not really take away from my points though, I have no problem with a news report into a case that is in the public interest, I do however take issue when the media try to spin it or its turned into something else. And I really take issue when it becomes the topic of some online discussion forum.

Lets say your that four year old girl, now all grown up, posts on a conspiracy site called ATS for a bit of a escape.

How would you feel if you found people who didn't know you, start posting about your experience, knowing nothing really about it and asking questions of it. I think I would feel violated all over again.

If you don't want to participate? Read it? Hear it? Hide your head up your arse and move along.

Its not about hiding my head up my arse its just about trying to point out that topics like this are probably not appropriate for a forum like ATS in my view. Its about me expressing a opinion, not digging my head in the sand ignoring that it happens.

Seriously - when did ATS become a PG13 let's all be a 'happy happy joy joy' site?

ATS has always been a family friendly site, thats why T&Cs prohibit cursing and so on, please tell me this is not news to you?

That being said you're an echo of my mother.

Sounds like a wise women, you would do well to listen to her I think.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Sounds like a wise women, you would do well to listen to her I think.

Really? Pretend it didn't happen and allow rape in your own home against your own daughter to continue?

Wow - ATS - be advised - Here we see a living breathing Misogynist.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Pretend it didn't happen and allow rape in your own home against your own daughter to continue?

So are you saying your mother allowed child abuse to go on under her roof and never spoke out about it because if so that doesn't seem to be clear in your OP.

ATS - be advised - Here we see a living breathing Misogynist.

Again this goes back to what I am saying about how these topics are really probably not appropriate for online discussion because of a lack of sensitivity and respect for the topic and the victims. Case in point, the OP disagrees with me so calls me a misogynist. This is why I think its so wrong to discuss topics like this online.

You disagree with that view, thats fine, thats your opinion, but then starting with the name calling by accusing me of being a misogynist then proves my point.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Four year olds that can type, deserve an applause! lol

I didn't learn to type until i was 16, and that was back in the 80's when they still used Type Writers lol.

Make a thread that kicks i mean, really kicks, and i will be your biggest fan. Most threads i've seen lately are ... drone enhanced entertainment. I'd make one but... Ok.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You disagree with that view, thats fine, thats your opinion, but then starting with the name calling by accusing me of being a misogynist then proves my point.

Honey, you posted the 'mother' was a 'smart woman' (or something of the like) because she 'sounded' like a 'wise woman' in the telling of 'just get over it'.

Ok, so maybe misogynist was not the right term, I should have just said you're ignorant.

And really? If you don't believe 'these topics' should be 'spoken of' on ATS?

WHY ARE YOU HERE? Move along. Find a thread that's more to your liking.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Crap.. I thought you were a Man.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Again you keep proving my point with the way you are articulating yourself.

Honey, you posted the 'mother' was a 'smart woman' (or something of the like) because she 'sounded' like a 'wise woman' in the telling of 'just get over it'.

No I did not talk about "the mother" as in the mother you are discussing in the OP. I was talking about your mother, as you said that I was "That being said you're an echo of my mother". The implication being that your mother has at some point also told you that such topics are best not discussed so publicly.

Unless your mother is the same mother as this young girls (something that is not clear in the OP) then you are deliberate trying to portray me as being sympathetic to the family who put this young girl through this by your world play.

I should have just said you're ignorant.

and....more name calling.

Again this is the problem, you start a topic about a very sensitive topic yet show it no respect or sensitivity and just start calling people names when they disagree with you.

I have not once resorted to the name calling on this thread, thats all on you.

And really? If you don't believe 'these topics' should be 'spoken of' on ATS?

WHY ARE YOU HERE? Move along. Find a thread that's more to your liking.

To voice my opinion.

I don't need to like a topic to have a opinion on it

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sapphire

Nope. I'm a chicklette.

And I would appreciate your opinion.

Women are told - so often - too often to 'forgive and forget'...

Now, that's not the norm.

So, is it time to expose the rape? Or 'let it go'?

Hmmm...

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Serious question.

Are you the girl talked about in the OP?

because its really not clear based on how its written

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Serious question.

Does it matter?

I believe asking personal questions is against the t&c.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Serious question.

Does it matter?

I believe asking personal questions is against the t&c.

I think asking if the OP is the girl in the thread is highly relevant to the conversation I have had with her, particularly in regards to what she has said about either her mother or the mother from the story she recounts in the OP.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

edit on 17-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Interesting.

I never forgive and i never forget.

It's a bad habit of mine.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I Think an expose' would be fun.

It might end badly though.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm still trying to figure out when it's cool to use stars and when it's not.

Crikey.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

No I did not talk about "the mother" as in the mother you are discussing in the OP.

Then what mother were you talking about, lol?

I was talking about your mother, as you said that I was "That being said you're an echo of my mother". The implication being that your mother has at some point also told you that such topics are best not discussed so publicly.

Ohhh I get it, now you know what mother I was talking about. And guess what? It doesn't matter WHO the 'mother' is? If ANY MOTHER said to a child of rape to 'get over it'? Is that the woman you're going to laud as the voice of reason?

Unless your mother is the same mother as this young girls (something that is not clear in the OP) then you are deliberate trying to portray me as being sympathetic to the family who put this young girl through this by your world play.

I don't have to 'deliberately' portray you as anything other than what you portray yourself as. That's on you. I don't care WHO the mother is? Anyone who sides with and lauds a woman is 'wise' to educates a young girl to 'shut up'? Well, that's your opinion. It's not just me who'll label you in a derogatory way over that comment/opinion.

I should have just said you're ignorant.

Ok, so you want your opinion to be validated but God forbit I call you an ignorant ass - my opinion. Oh well.

Again this is the problem, you start a topic about a very sensitive topic yet show it no respect or sensitivity and just start calling people names when they disagree with you.

Oh, I see your point. I started a controversial topic just to beat you up verbally. I show no 'sensitivity' on the subject and 'just start calling people names'... My God you're transparent.

I have not once resorted to the name calling on this thread, that's all on you.

No, you just stated a mother, a woman, is 'wise' to advise a child of raper to 'shut up' and it's not acceptable content for ATS...

edit on 4725Sunday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

I Think an expose' would be fun.

It might end badly though.

Now this piques my curiosity.

How might it end up badly?

Not a trick question, I'm interested in your input/opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join