It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Brew Beer Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: seeker1963

I forgot, schools are off for Christmas holidays just now eh?

Yea, this 55 year old USA Nationalist is still working on graduating SJW college?

Yeah that would not surprise me......

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

ENOUGH!

THIS IS NOT THE MUDPIT!

It's a thread about booze and beer and maybe hot babes playing volleyba-. . . . sorry.

My mind wandered.

Those "babes" are transgender. Just so you know.

link   

ENOUGH!

THIS IS NOT THE MUDPIT!

It's a thread about booze and beer and maybe hot babes playing volleyba-. . . . sorry.

My mind wandered.

Sorry DB, lost my snip there......back to our regular programming?

link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm asking Santa for a brew kit this year.

I don't want to be that guy...but Santa is not real.

I've just alerted the mods.

You bastard.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Yep, I do. There is even a thread here on ATS for home brewing:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Are you planing on Full Grain, Partial Grain, or full extract?

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Thanks for the link!

"Santa" is buying the kit from Amazon.

I don't know what kind.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Thanks for the link!

"Santa" is buying the kit from Amazon.

I don't know what kind.

That's why you tell "santa" what kind you really want, via wish list.
Write it on a piece of paper, put it in the fireplace, and "santa" will get the message. Or so they say. Guess that's why I never got a hot blonde for Xmas.

I have only known a couple of people to home brew. I might like to try it, for fun, but I'd rather squish grapes.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Kit from Amazon......uhm.....er.......

I'd give Santa this link instead:

www.midwestsupplies.com...

They have extract kits that work well, I've done several of them.

Also: if you've never done this before, I recommend a simple kit first, like a simple brown ale or something.

The hardest part of brewing your own beer isn't the actual cooking of it (unless you go full grain, hehehe), it's the waiting for the beer to ferment and after you've bottled it. Takes a minimum for 4 to 5 weeks to be ready.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I don't mind the wait, so the aging process won't bother me.

I will explore the link, however.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Why not try the jail method of home brew and be a right tight wad with a brew called Hooch , Bread for the yeast and oranges and apples cut in to small bits fill with water then put in the heat next to a radiator pipe and leave for a month , will get you drunk but you will spend days on the toilet

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Extract and partial grain brewing is actually pretty easy. Cooking day will make your house smell like baked bread.

If you get a kit and need help, just ask, we'll tell you what to do.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Looking at kits now.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I mostly get my supplies from them (malts, yeasts, hops).

I do 6 gallon batches here, and averages around $30.00 for me (partial grain and extract kits)

Only equipment I have is:

3 gallon stock pot for the boil
a couple of 6 gallon glass carboys
rubber stoppers with holes drilled into them for the air lock (you can by that at midwest)
Air locks for fermenting
Copper cooling coil (this is optional, but best if you want to cool the wort down quickly)
Bottle caper and bottle caps
Crap ton of bottles

First kit I ever did was a New Castle brown ale clone. Came out perfectly. Was a 6 gallon batch, and I was surprised at how easy everything was.

Once you have the equipment I listed above, all you normally have to get is the malts, yeast and hops for each batch.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Thanks.

Looks like this is a little more complicated than just tossing some stuff in a jug then drinking.

But I am a geek with an engineering degree, so this looks like fun! I actually have an empty bench in the garage for this.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I'll warn you now: it's addicting.....especially once you get a couple of kits under your belt and want to try and craft your very own recipe.

I don't really drink beer that much (my wife is the beer drinker) and I have lots of fun doing it. I've made some that will knock your socks off (8.0 to 9.0 ABV) and others that are just lite beers.

I even have a computer app for figuring out things: BeerTools Pro

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I guess my first question is, in buying these "complete" kits, what else would I really need to get in order to make it complete?

I hate buying these things then finding out you need X, Y, and Z.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I have an ipa and a negra modelo clone in kegs now and am planning to brew a left hand milk stout over the holiday break.

It can be an expensive hobby to get into, but most of the brewing tools are pretty much good for life and it’s probably one of the most exciting and fun hobbies to get into. Getting started will work your patience muscles pretty hard. Once you get your first batch under your belt, you’ll be salivating over all the fancy all grain brewing equipment.

Start looking at craigslist and eBay now for good deals on used equipment. There are tons of threads in the home brew boards that you can learn from. Also, be careful buying the kits, a lot of them sell stuff that you won’t really use after you get into it. If it comes with glass carboys and a five gallon brew kettle, it’s probably good quality. Eventually you’ll probably want a 7gal kettle so you can brew ten gallon batches so another thing to keep in mind is that as you become more experienced you may want to upgrade so starting off with the right equipment can save you some money in the long run. I could help put a list of supplies for you if you’d rather go that route. You’re going to want to move towards kegging your beer in five gallon kegs really soon as well, so lookout for any good deals on corny kegs.

After you pitch your first yeast and the fermentation starts kicking off and you have a tornado of action swirling around the Carboy you’ll be hooked. Also, there are ways to brew most beers in a short time with very good results.

As long as you keep a very clean and sanitary work place and brewing equipment, you will have good results and beer that is far cheaper and far better than what you get from the stores.

I have a fermentation fridge that is full of pickles, sauerkraut, jalapeños, beets and other crazy fermented goodness as well as my own kegged beer and I have to say my life is so much richer and fuller because of it. I say go for broke and start looking toward all grain right away because the beer is next level better and it’s a much more exciting process on brew day. Get the smoker out early, drop some ribs or jerky in it and drag out the brewing stuff for your next Exbeeriment. I look forward to these days more than any others.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

Thanks for the insight!

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Looking at kits now.

I’d start with something a little more like this. It has two carboys and a bottling bucket. The kit has a lot more room for growing than the one I saw in your post. It’s similar to the one I started with and comes with the supplies and recipe for one beer. I believe if you look around at their recipes and call them, they’ll put whatever beer you choose to start with in with the kit.

Brewery in a box

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

Thanks! I am a greenhorn when it comes to this.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join