It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
So being in college I've come across a myriad of random websites, but this one has perked my interest. It's called The Facebook. Its purpose is to act as an online directory of people in colleges and universities thoughout the nation via a vast social network.

It seemingly popped up overnight, spreading from the west coast slowly through friends, friends of friends, and friends of friends of friends through the nation and across to the east coast. Once it became open to the public on Feb. 4 of this year it was an internet sensation, both online and off. I know for a fact it has appeared in at least three university newspapers, and presumably more.

Your university doesn't provide any information about you, so whatever you post on the website for others to see is all your own information. In it you can also list things like what classes you're taking and when, what your interests and hobbies are, and basically any other sort of information you can think of.

So to keep it conspiracy related (read as: fit the topic of this forum
) what do you think is the possibility that this is just some scam to connect people through people? You know, so the government, the powers that be, or whoever can keep track of who you're friends with, what you do, and a lot more about your life.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
good point i didnt think about that. that seems like a decent way to be able to track people and their friends. Track what groups they join and perhaps what mindstate they attest to. What is interesting is that is strictly university based, unlike Myspace for example which anyone can join. Might be triying to watch the "educated next generation."I might have to cancel my account

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Nothing I need to worry about, because I have no plans on attending any Universities. I get my education from books and research I do on my own. I find it works much better. I can find the info I need without sifting through all the other stuff they teach.

Ahem.

But I do think there's a good chance they could be tracking people through that, or similar sites...as well as this one, for that matter. They've probably got all of us redflagged and connected to tons of other people through whatever databases they're using.

join