It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing Net Neutrality has brought a new call for Public Broadband

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Good. Installing public broadband is a way to compete with ISPs that doesn’t involve the government sticking its fingers into other people’s businesses.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Rockdisjoint

Have you chosen your prison yet? Big house. Wifi. Television. No control over your personal comings and goings? That kinda stuff?

You should.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
There's a lot of money to be made by everyone on an open internet. Removing Net Neutrality, which is really implementing something called Paid Prioritization takes away the ability for small companies to compete.

This is what I have been warning people about.

It's crazy, just when the alt right is rising on the web, they shoot themselves in the foot. Complete stupidity, just because they want to overturn everything the left did.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If government controls internet access then you will never get free access to information.

Following the formula to the letter I see.

Have internet

Government doesn't have power over internet so the make regulations and break it.

Broken system that government created outrages people.

Government offers solution in the form of taking everything over "for your protection".

We lose freedom on the internet.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Good. Installing public broadband is a way to compete with ISPs that doesn’t involve the government sticking its fingers into other people’s businesses.

How does that public broadband connect to the internet? Through Time Warner? AT&T?

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

But it's true.
If a hobo walked up and said it to you. Would you consider it or toss him off because he was homeless?
edit on 17-12-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Is that a rainbow shooting out of a donkey?

Big money made the internet. Screw that, Big Government AKA Big Brother.

Big Brother has Big Friends. Big friend would prefer to keep the money in their hands, and not in the pockets of small money.

Big money made the internet. Big money wants to keep the internet.

I'm gonna go back to smoking metaphors and drilling hippie chicks now.... ciao!

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Wow, you get it! You really, really get it!

::: stops channeling sally fields :::

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: Edumakated
In any industry, if there are excessive profits being made, then new entrants will seek to enter the market to provide better service cheaper. It is how free markets work. Greed is actually what drives down prices as it creates competition.

Monopolies and Oligopolies are usually created by government interference creating regulations and barriers to entry. This is why large companies often push for these regulations.

There are NO free markets in this country. Everything is a monopoly and cartel controlled by legislation. This government has absolutely no interest in BIG government interference in corporations in order to have free and open markets. They just don't exist. Barriers to market entry are everywhere.

Because progressives want to regulate everything to death...

quite the opposite...the big conservative money bags buy everything, or make it so difficult to compete that the little guys leave the business.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Those balloons have low bandwidth, they're meant for very basic access... This is all about streaming video, isps probably won't touch the rest. Balloons don't compete there.

Understand but you're missing the point. There must be alternatives. Don't give up just because the one idea I threw out won't do the job.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

How does that public broadband connect to the internet? Through Time Warner? AT&T?

Did you read the article?

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Yes.
It says that some cities have created their own infrastructure to distribute internet content. It does not explain how the community providers access that content. Who brings the pipe to the city?

It also says this:

The political peril in pursuing public broadband, noted David Segal, head of Demand Progress, which advocates for an open internet, comes with the potential of giving unwarranted credibility to the arguments made by FCC Chair Ajit Pai, that states, cities, and the Federal Trade Commission are best poised to regulated the situation. That’s not at all the case, Segal argued, and public broadband is a good thing in itself, but shouldn’t be seen as a substitute for net neutrality.
theintercept.com...

edit on 12/17/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I’m no IT guy, but from my understanding they would have to create their own ISP. There are hundreds of local ISPs to see as an example.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

The internet does not travel well through the air. It comes through cables, cables that are owned by companies like AT&T.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

The internet does not travel well through the air. It comes through cables, cables that are owned by companies like AT&T.

5g is expected to be faster than broadband. A little innovation will make cables a thing of the past.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Supposedly so.
And who sends the internet into the cell system?

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

right up until you are talking about talking all existing networks, confiscating them

Who said anything about confiscating them?

suddenly telling me that I have to belong to this new thing whether I want to or not.

You don't have to. But the point of a public utility is that is easily accessible for those who wish to use and need it because it's a necessary part of life, such as electricity, sewage, land-based phone services, etc. The internet has become an equally necessary part of life for many, hence utility.

That's why I say if you want your own network -- you get together with others who want it and do it.

Which is extremely difficult to do, and why public utilities exist.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Supposedly so.
And who sends the internet into the cell system?

Couldn’t you just tell me?

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I get cell speeds faster than about half of the offered packages through a traditional provider, in my area.

LTE speed in my area is about 65Mbps

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: ketsuko
How about people who want it public crowd source it and build their own socialized network?

Thats akin to starting your own newspaper or magazine circular. The 'Bigs' will squash you out of existence. You don't have distribution or legal rights to compete with them.

People are gong to find out what a "Monopoly" means.

Traditional newspaper publishing required print shops with hundreds of workers operating mechanical printers with teams of staff designing the copper plate print, fixing it to drum wheels, doing lithography and all the boiler plate art work, then stripping it all down again. They had union protection, so it was near impossible to set up a new newspaper.

All of that is now done by a word processor, webpage editor, some website forum frameworks and scripts. Each of us commenting on these articles is an editor/journalist rolled into one. Anyone can set up a blog and become their own columnist.

The only alternative to the telephone companies, mobile phone operators, satellite TV operators are mesh networks of wi-fi stations much like HAM radio.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join