It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The CDC is Banned from Using 7 Words, Including 'Diversity,' 'Transgender,' and 'Fetus'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Pretty hard to ban a word, actually. But then, editors can do stuff.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I see that they didn't ban "God did it"

They can always use that.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Hard to believe anything that the Washington Post writes,as far as I'm concerned a waste of paper if it is actually printed

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Heres the thing Southern Guardian,

Although I appreciate that your sentiments point out a vast hypocrisy within the Trump administration, a group who have ALLEGEDLY been combating the removal of words from the modern lexicon (but are simply banning different ones), I feel that the real issues highlighted by the subject matter here, are rather more serious.

The fields of study which can be broadly described as having a scientific lean to them, are without any doubt the most important fields in the modern era. Advancing our understanding of the sciences, no matter which sciences they may be, is the only way for the species as a whole to move forward from the point at which it finds itself today, and the evidence for that is strewn all throughout the industrial age and beyond. It is improvements in medical science that have made diseases which used to be entirely lethal, survivable, which have reduced infectious diseases impact on at least the developed world, and made inroads into protecting the species entire, by also having positive effects in the third world, and limiting the spread of potential epidemic and pandemic diseases, from those areas to other places.

The large Ebola outbreak, for example, would have been much worse, much broader, if the modern resources of the scientific community, had not been bought to bare against it on the ground, and of course in nations exposed to tourism and travellers from those lands most affected. Because of the efforts, the training, and the scientific acumen of the people who were dealing with the disease, its spread was eventually controlled, and the death toll, while significant, was not the millions and millions it could have become, were its spread left entirely unchecked.

The reason I mention these things, is that one of the reasons our scientists, doctors and epidemiologists more precisely, were able to act so robustly in the first place, is because for generations, scientists have been respected well enough that they have been permitted leeway to do many things that seem strange to the layperson, to spend money on research which, in its infancy SEEMED absurd, but has proven invaluable in this modern age. The time invested by Einstein for example, and his peers for that matter, into affairs of high physics, paved the way for the nuclear age (for good or ill), paved the way for a more complete understanding of the guiding principles by which all matter and energy operate, distribute themselves throughout systems both closed and open, and had knock on effects in actual engineering in the modern era, which are still being utilised to this very day, and improved upon by degrees all the time.

The intellectual gymnastics done by Watson, Crick and the observations obtained of the specific nature of DNA molecules, derived from work previously done by Rosalind Franklin, have improved our understanding of the formation of the human body, lead to advances in treatment for diseases of both the hereditary and the contracted varieties, advanced our understanding of and our ability to prevent certain types of cell damage and DNA damage as a result, and thusly the medicines we take are, although still risky for our health in many ways, in the main unlikely to damage our DNA.

These advances were made because of the genius of their discoverers of course, and the hours and hours of time spent by researchers and lab techs, students and so on as well. But they were only POSSIBLE, because the people doing the work were free to do so, in many circumstances, free to use whatever terminology was most necessary and appropriate according to the science involved, to both make communication of the ideas involved faster, AND more precise. It has, in fact, long been understood, and rightly so, that scientists are the authority in matters of science, and everyone else's opinion, while they might have a right to have one, means absolutely nothing whatsoever. The best advances in science have come, in fact, when scientists not only have had the freedom to do the research, but to communicate their ideas in a manner which makes logical sense, even to the point of dictating the lexicon used to communicate those ideas.

This is entirely right and proper, because the people who are the authority on matters scientific, should answer to no one whatsoever, when it comes to things like how they communicate their ideas, whether they do, when they do, regardless of the political climate at the time.

Now, there are going to be those who draw a false equivalency, between PC culture, and this event.

To those I say the following:

Regardless of who is President, those who are infuriated that they cannot say the "n word", or grab a woman by the crotch, safe in the knowledge that fear and shame will prevent her from uttering a word for some time allowing the molester the benefit of the doubt in the minds of the terminally witless, DO NOT stand upon the same platform of righteousness as a person who correctly calls that which is not yet a baby, a fetus. You can argue the point till you are blue in the face, but you folk are not smart enough to know when to quit, and the people against whom you are arguing are. They know that all they have to do, to make you fall unconscious, is to allow you to go beyond merely blue, all the way to purple, and they will, and should induce you all to do that as soon as possible.

And you see, when you go to the emergency room to be charged by a corporate body to save your life, putting you in debt for the rest of your natural life, a debt which will ruin your family and leave your grandchildren's children destitute, a debt you corporate shills WELCOME like lambs walking onto a sacrificial knife, you had better hope that no bright spark has become offended by the words "Cerebral Hypoxia", because if they have banned those too, the resulting terminological confusion and time used to sort it out, will actually kill you, where as preventing scum from using racial slurs, will kill no one.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Diversity,' 'Transgender,' and 'Fetus'

Why would the center for disease control even use them to begin with ?

They suddenly been declared diseases ?
edit on 18-12-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

edit on 18-12-2017 by neo96 because: double post

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Diversity,' 'Transgender,' and 'Fetus'

Why would the center for disease control even use them to begin with ?

They suddenly been declared diseases ?

Can disease, and the diversity of disease, not affect fetuses?

Do you understand the entirety of what the CDC is, and does?

It's a multifaceted public health institute, using scientific evidence and research to address diverse public health concerns, which ​does primarily ​include disease control and prevention, such as Zika, which affects fetuses, but which also includes ​other ​health issues such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc.

Mission Statement.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) serves as the national focus for developing and applying disease prevention and control, environmental health, and health promotion and health education activities designed to improve the health of the people of the United States.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

How does it Feel Liberals ? Two can Play that Game.................LOL

Yeah, cos winning an argument is more important than the potential oppression of debate and free speech as provisioned by the constitution. Take that Liberals, I'm alright.........for now.

Bye America, you were great once.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
It looks like the new administration is sick of seeing propagandized things from certain agencies. Those key words and phrases were utilized heavily under the Obama administration, and it continues with MSM to make them sound more true and correct, regardless if they even were the truth in the first place. Usually when agencies have to "doctor up" the wording, it is an attempt to realize a desired outcome in social opinions.

Amazing. That's how you see this, but don't make the logical jump that means the administration can CONTROL the language of debate and propaganda?

If propagandised arguments are put forward, they can be demolished by reasoned counterpoint. Obviously.

Banning the use of certain entirely legitimate phrases, suggests those arguments aren't false at all, and so they must be removed by other means.

For example, "Evidence based" simply means that the evidence observed pointed to a particular conclusion. The only motive for banning that term is to obscure why a conclusion has been drawn, which then allows it to be dismissed as opinion, or of no greater value then the opinion the banner wants you to believe instead.

This is actually pretty sinister.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: waynos

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

How does it Feel Liberals ? Two can Play that Game.................LOL

Yeah, cos winning an argument is more important than the potential oppression of debate and free speech as provisioned by the constitution. Take that Liberals, I'm alright.........for now.

Bye America, you were great once.

This isn't a free speech issue to me, it's how the MSM treats their listeners by always using the same social engineering impact phrases, without ever backing anything up or asking any questions about it. They just tell you what it is because they think people are too stupid anyways. Like when CNN said it's illegal for anyone except them to read leaked data. They all have an agenda, and the language they use follows with those agendas. The MSM has no respect for anyone except their own club of fools as they have shown over and over again with gusto.

Just for the record I don't support the banning of any words or phrases by any president, and he didn't in this case anyways.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Banning words? then the book burning?

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

TBH, I'm on shaky ground talking about "your" MSM as I have little experience of it (and what I have isn't good).

The last time the US MSM came to my attention over here was when Fox News pulled out of the UK because everyone was just laughing at them and their ridiculous bias.

If Fox is the right and CNN is the left and they are mirror images of each other, then I understand your viewpoint.

As someone from overseas, I have noticed how this same attitude manifests itself here on ATS more and more. Rather than simply debating opposing opinions on a given subject, Americans seem far more polarised on sides. Some who considers thrmelves Right wing or Republican invariably responds by mocking the poster they disagree with as a "Lefty Liberal Hillary supporter" even if that person has never expressed a preference or (as has happened to me) isn't even American and lives under a different political system entirely. For balance, yes, it certainly does happen the other way too, the point being this is exactly the sort of thing we used to laugh at on Fox, then turn over yo the BBC or Sky to see discussion of the issues themselves instead of a mud slinging competition. Taking a standpoint of Right = Right, Left = Wrong ALL THE TIME (and vice versa) is clearly intellectually dishonest and actually pretty worthless.

I know there are those on here who slate the UK media too, and oh my god they are far from perfect, but our balance laws mean nothing like Fox (I have never watched a moment of CNN, which is why I'm not talking about them) can be broadcast here on mainstream TV, except maybe on a known satirical comedy like Mock the Week or Have I Got News For You. I think this also means our national experience of news media is very different to yours.

Whereas Fox are clearly right wing media (and I guess CNN left?), the BBC is attacked by whichever side is in power because it panders to neither of them and the saddest part for me is that people actually fall for the blatant and constant ripping of the BBC by the Murdoch owned and controlled arm of the media and jump on its bandwagon. I think some people really don't appreciate what having the BBC means for this country.
edit on 20-12-2017 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
On the back of that reply, I just search ATS for "BBC" and looked at a couple of threads about it. OMG what an eye opener. The anti-Beeb lot have certainly done a good job on our membership. Lots of stuff about state sponsored propaganda and other ill informed and Ill thought out phrases. I'm sure these people would just LOVE Rupert Murdoch having all the control. It's like the Rebecca Brooks scandal never happened.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join