It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Communications Tower Near Rachel, NV and North of Area 51

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This tower was on a side road near Rachel, NV.

I am pretty certain it is used for Red Flag operations. Maybe Nellis got tired of setting up and breaking this site down, and made it semi-permanent.
There are big power cables there, likely they roll in a big generator when they use the site.

I did a short video, I should have got some better closeups of the equipment and antenna's on this tower.
youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
On the trailer, the large square white with a black strip device is a Cummings Whisper Quite diesel generator. I would guess the upright concrete panels are for physical protection from flying debris.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS
Cool stuff. I am glad somebody still focuses on Area 51. It was one of the original primary topics of this site after all. Remember they recently did one of those readiness programs with like 50 aircraft everybody saw as UFO's last weekend. Perhaps they utilized it as recently as then?

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
On the trailer, the large square white with a black strip device is a Cummings Whisper Quite diesel generator. I would guess the upright concrete panels are for physical protection from flying debris.

Nothing close enough to throw debris. Someone told me they are there to keep the free-range cattle in this area away from the tower, as they like to rub and scratch against stuff. Might kind of wreck the equipment.

I have this page open all the time, I have a filter on for military aircraft, centered in on the NTTR. Not sure what is going on, but a lot of activity was showing up in and around the NTTR.
www.adsbexchange.com...

EDITED TO ADD: Just got this in my Google Alerts, this explains it:
www.thedrive.com...
edit on 16-12-2017 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The camera is so you don't mess with their stuff. This is different from the tower I documented.

www.lazygranch.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Duplicate message

edit on 16-12-2017 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The JFEX is covered in this thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
The camera is so you don't mess with their stuff. This is different from the tower I documented.
www.lazygranch.com...

Someone commented with this on Youtube. Thoughts?:
It’s Mobile Site No. 2 for USAF’s UHF P25 Digital DOD trunking radio system. It’s used for everything from secure air to air communications to daily NTTR operations. They use full time AES encryption on the voice channels. The site does also carry a camera with sound for with a point to point microwave link, and a radio beacon for airborne aircraft. All of this has been public knowledge for a while.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

www.lazygranch.com...

Someone commented with this on Youtube. Thoughts?:
It’s Mobile Site No. 2 for USAF’s UHF P25 Digital DOD trunking radio system. It’s used for everything from secure air to air communications to daily NTTR operations. They use full time AES encryption on the voice channels. The site does also carry a camera with sound for with a point to point microwave link, and a radio beacon for airborne aircraft. All of this has been public knowledge for a while.

If that location is east of the TTR, that reply is dubious since there is a repeater site on Ragged Ridge. That is a hill just south of the Cedar Pipeline Road.

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

lazygranch.com...

Still photos of this tower.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Doing some research on this 4.4Ghz band used by the tower, I found the following docuement. The quoted text is basically the meat of the document.

www.ntia.doc.gov...

The 4400-4500 MHz band is used for Federal Government fixed and mobile services. This band is one of the few available to the military for training. The band supports fixed Line of Sight (LOS) and transportable-fixed point-to-point microwave systems, drone vehicle control and telemetry systems. In addition to the military systems, the civilian Federal agencies also have systems in the band for nuclear emergencies and law enforcement activities. The 4400-4500 MHz band is a sub-band of the larger 4400-4940 MHz Federal Government band. Many systems authorized to operate in the 4400-4500 MHz band typically have a tuning capability from 4400-4940 MHz.

Mobile applications in the band include air ground operations to support Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), target drones and flight test operations. The civilian agencies of the Federal Government also use the fixed and mobile services of the 4400-4500 MHz band for law enforcement, and drug interdiction communications systems throughout the US.

There is limited mobile operations in the 4400-4500 MHz to provide radio communications for data, voice and video, and support many range systems during tactical training exercises. The mobile operations in the band support many DOD range systems. For example, at DOD ranges, video on moving targets are normally transmitted to fixed locations.

Many Federal Government point-to-point or microwave data links operate in the 4400-4500 MHz band. The point-to-point data links can be fixed or transportable-fixed with dual capability of LOS operation at low power or trans-horizon modes for high power for long distance communications. The data links in the 4400-4500 MHz band are the communication backbones of central monitoring sites as they provide communications between various headquarters and support units by both active duty and reserve or National Guard units. The 4400-4500 MHz band systems carry both analog and digital traffic including facsimile, voice and data. Point-to-point data links relay data such as radar target location and tracks, weapons control, and air traffic control information. In addition to the training exercises, the point-to-point data links also support logistics and administrative activities at military test range around the country.

Air ground air operations in the 4400-4500 MHz band support Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and law enforcement systems. Many air ground air operations in the 4400-4500 MHz band are associated with the development, testing and training activities of military UAVs. The UAV air ground air systems typically relay data and video information from onboard sensors to the ground control stations. DOE also has air-to-ground video/data down link from helicopters in support of law enforcement operations and for emergency situations such as, when NEST deployment is required.

DOD uses the 4400-4500 MHz band for aeronautical and flight telemetry. Flight telemetry in the band is typically used during missile testing, video target scoring on aircraft armaments, drone control, target drone control and acquisition of lightning data. Flight telemetry systems sense and measure data on airborne platforms and transmitting the data to a convenient location on the ground to be read and recorded. DOD and NASA use aeronautical telemetry applications in the band for video telemetry equipment during the development and testing of aircraft and unmanned vehicles. DOD also uses aeronautical telemetry applications for missile development and testing.

The Department of Energy (DOE) operates fixed multi-site networks to monitor and control gas pipelines and electrical power lines as part of a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) application. Point-to-point data links in the 4400-4500 MHz band also support communications for a DOE Nuclear Emergency Search Team (NEST). NEST responds to nuclear-related emergencies to protect the safety and health of life and property.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

lazygranch.com...
Still photos of this tower.

I was just in the area, and totally forgot to get closeups of all the gear.
I see you did it already. Nice job!
EDITED TO ADD: after reviewing your page, any ideas where the yagi or that flat panel antenna are pointed at?
Have you investigated that panel to determine what it is used for?
edit on 18-5-2018 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2018 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

top topics

join