It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brutal confirmation hearing: Trump pick for federal judge can't answer basic questions

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Question. How hard is it to find some a qualified person with even the most basic knowledge on legal matters? Especially when you're the world's most powerful man and you have all the advisors you could want at your fingertips?

ouisiana Republican Sen. John Kennedy sent a message to the White House about the qualifications of some of President Trump's judicial nominees by grilling a court pick about basic courtroom skills as well as more obscure areas of law.

'Have any of you not tried a case to verdict in a courtroom?' Kennedy asked a panel of nominees to serve in lifetime appointments at federal courts.

When Matthew Spencer Petersen answered in the negative, Kennedy drilled down on his background.

'Have you ever tried a jury trial?'

'I have not,' Petersen, nominated to serve on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia responded.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

That's right folks. One of Trumps picks for a lifetime Federal Judge position has never tried a jury trial.

Oh there's more:

Republican Sen. John Kennedy of Louisiana asked whether he had ever tried a case or taken a deposition
Learning of Petersen's courtroom inexperience, he grilled him on legal terms
'Can you tell me what the Daubert standard is?
Petersen, the chair of the Federal Election Commission, stumbled and struggled
Kennedy finally asked a panel of judges whether any had blogged about the KKK
The White House withdrew support for a prior court nominee rated not qualified who was revealed to have written in support of the early Ku Klux Klan

www.dailymail.co.uk...

As many of you would know, Federal judges hold an important position and make decisions that impact millions. I cannot stress how worrying this is, that this administration is filling up the court rooms with questionable and unqualified judges. What the hell is going on? This guy is making a mockery out of the system.

Matthew Petersen, the clueless Trump appointee in question, has a questionable history as well. He served on the FEC as a commissioner in the past and from 2008 to 2013 along with McGahn another Trump appointee. They worked together to weaken enforcement of campaign finance laws, and to try to prevent “dark money” outside groups spending big on elections from being reined in. Both of these two also have close ties with Trump Administration staffers. It just gets worse and worse.

Mods - title shortened to fit into thread.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Courts are so screwed up, we have judges that think they make the law and people are not freaking over that, so why exactly should this horrify me?

Democrat or Republican neither has actually tried to fix any of the problems we are facing.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

As long as he supports the Constitution and hates Cultural Marxism? Good enough for me!!

+39 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

No wonder the country's a mess. We have people playing partisan politics with no care of the repercussions and your post is a perfect example of this.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

What are the qualifications for becoming a federal judge?

The Constitution sets forth no specific requirements. However, members of Congress, who typically recommend potential nominees, and the Department of Justice, which reviews nominees' qualifications, have developed their own informal criteria.

www.uscourts.gov...-What-are-the-qualifications-for-becoming-a-federal-judge?

Now wut?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I was waiting for this to hit ATS.

I saw the Video on FB . Started reading through the comments and several lawyers in the comment seem to think Mathew was putting on a front .

Whatever the case may be . It was a disaster.
edit on 01/01/1999 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: seeker1963

No wonder the country's a mess. We have people playing partisan politics with no care of the repercussions and your post is a perfect example of this.

Don't act like you are not partisan!

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Doesn't make sens to me . His background is solid .

He had to have some knowledge of how court proceedings works .

Petersen graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. in philosophy from Brigham Young University in 1996. He also received an Associate of Science with high honors from Utah Valley State College.[3] Petersen received his Juris Doctor in 1999 from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a member of the Virginia Law Review.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So that means it's perfectly fine and right to put in unqualified individuals into the position?

Just because the administration can do it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. These judges make the ultimate decisions impacting millions. Putting unqualified individuals into these positions is a recipe for disaster.

Remember the constitution has no real qualifications for president as well as for basic requirements like age etc. How many were whining on here on how unqualified Obama was? You were one of them after all.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Having watched the questions and read the articles the following can be stated:

Being a judge is not an easy job, there are rules that the judge has to follow, any mess up, could result in any case being over turned or worse, the person who is guilty being released due to judicial misconduct.

These men, who are being put up to hold a position, having no real experience in the legal system, save that of graduating college and having a degree, have not read the job description or even any real knowledge of what all is required, or the rules that they will have to not only follow but ensure that all in his court follow.

That is not a qualified person, but a joke, and one that does not bode well at all for any court that they would sit on.

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

It was a disaster alright. I found myself cringing through the video. My God, how on Earth do these individuals slip through like this??

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

So that means it's perfectly fine and right to put in unqualified individuals into the position?

Good enough for the presidency.

Good enough for federal judges.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

The only thing worse than Trump’s selection as nominee to the bench and his total lack of knowledge and experience regarding the judicial system is the fact that many, if not all, Trump supporters won’t see a damn thing wrong with it. Hell, they’ll be viewing the guy as a “shoe-in.”

Crazy, absolutely crazy.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Good enough for the presidency.

Good enough for federal judges.

Even when they're clearly not good enough.

Admit it, you don't care. So long as there's an R.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Any truth to the rumor that if this guy binge watches Law & Order season 1-4 not only could He quote Lenny Briscoe but also be able to answer a question or 2?

What part of the swamp is this? Shallow end? Or it doesn't matter because this lawyer doesn't know how court goes??

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Reminds me of all his poor choices of people who have been ousted since he took office, in less than a year.
And Betsy Devos, the dunce he chose for secretary of education.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

Doesn't make sens to me . His background is solid .

He had to have some knowledge of how court proceedings works .

Petersen graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. in philosophy from Brigham Young University in 1996. He also received an Associate of Science with high honors from Utah Valley State College.[3] Petersen received his Juris Doctor in 1999 from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a member of the Virginia Law Review.

Yeah well, Trump went to good schools too. Hell to hear him tell it, he was the smartest guy to ever attent them. And here he is fixin to go down as the dumbest POTUS in U.S. history.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh he answered them.
No.
No.
No
. Umm I couldn't answer that right now
No.
No.
No.
Have you ever at any time actually practiced law sir? ummm No.... Lol.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join