It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark Cuban is against net neutrality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This should come as no surprise to anyone. He passionately defends Comcast and AT&T, two of the most hated companies ever. (Actually, Comcast often wins the 'most-hated' contest) His rant is absolutely hilarious!
A classic example of someone who has lost all touch with the common folk.

AT & T worst wireless provider

Comcast - The most hated company

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I'd have to agree with him on it. Takes away free speech rights. Makes you afraid you will be ripped apart by someone or something. Also...I like his idea on investing in Netflix...because how many people do Netflix and Chill? haha

edit on 15-12-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

With an informed population, netneutrality would be very unnecessary. Just because we messed up educating people doesn't me we continue down a path of enabling. No to netneutrality. Just teach people better. : /
edit on 15-12-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
He’s also fiercely liberal .......

So if he’s against it, as in touch as he is with the pulse of what’s going on w tech and communications in the world, perhaps, you would think, maybe he just might have valid insight...

But no the knee jerk is “screw him he’s a globalist, all for big companies and stupid”.

Perhaps people need to stop dismissing people who think different and actually listen to their logic. Not everyone who has a different view is wrong , mathematically that’s not even possible

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Net neutrality is a band aid. The problem can be seen by looking into the failed Google Fiber project. If google couldn't get over the regulated monopolies then who can. The smarter thing to do is to fix the laws keeping competition out.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Lmao that guy is an idiot who cares what he says. Goofy 50 something trying to act cool.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton
Net neutrality is a band aid. The problem can be seen by looking into the failed Google Fiber project. If google couldn't get over the regulated monopolies then who can. The smarter thing to do is to fix the laws keeping competition out.

The problem is the general populace addicted to what these conglomerates are selling. The Laws can be changed over night with riots. Never gonna see change so long as people enjoy their chains.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

The problem is the general populace addicted to what these conglomerates are selling. The Laws can be changed over night with riots. Never gonna see change so long as people enjoy their chains.

The way the internet is accessed can be changed much faster. Wireless mesh decentralized access is coming and the fight over the utility poles will be moot. Net neutrality is stupid if only to think the government can keep up with technology. We will have driverless cars on the road before we have laws in place for who is at fault if it crashes for instance.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

But no the knee jerk is “screw him he’s a globalist, all for big companies and stupid”.

Trust me, my reaction was not a knee jerk. I'm all for free-market capitalism, but I'm not for giant corporations
buying our politicians, which is exactly what's happening, on a daily basis. I also don't accuse Mr Cuban of being stupid. He's very shrewd. I'm not knocking his success.

But c'mon! Defending Comcast and AT & T????? They're evil.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with these guys:
Comcast hit with FCC's biggest cable fine ever

AT &T dishonesty

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The way the internet is accessed can be changed much faster. Wireless mesh decentralized access is coming and the fight over the utility poles will be moot. Net neutrality is stupid if only to think the government can keep up with technology. We will have driverless cars on the road before we have laws in place for who is at fault if it crashes for instance.

What does the physical layer have to do with the content you are accessing?

No matter how you connect to the "net" you will have access gateways of which are controlled by a provider of some sort.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Trust me, my reaction was not a knee jerk. I'm all for free-market capitalism, but I'm not for giant corporations
buying our politicians, which is exactly what's happening, on a daily basis. I also don't accuse Mr Cuban of being stupid. He's very shrewd. I'm not knocking his success.

But c'mon! Defending Comcast and AT & T????? They're evil.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with these guys:
Comcast hit with FCC's biggest cable fine ever

AT &T dishonesty

That's why Mark is an idiot to the core.

You CANNOT have large corporations and capitalism at the same time. They drown out competition by lobbying for increased regulation and making sure the smaller entities simply cannot make it. This is fascism, what we have, Mark is rich so of course you cannot see the forest for the trees if you are disconnected from the reality right in front of you.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Was he reading his thoughts off of a teleprompter?

He's not looking at the camera, yet at the end of every point he turns his head to look at the interviewer. If he can't memorize the simply message he is trying to convey here and just deliver it off the cuff does he even know what he's talking about.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Not having net neutrality means a two-tier internet.

This will create an internet ghetto where speeds are slow and unreliable, where at busy times they will lose connectivity possibly so those who pay for the VIP service have complete precedence.

It stinks for the poor and it sucks up to the rich like everything on this cursed dump of a planet.

I hope the idiots that agree with disposing of it get to feel the pain of their decision. Who can say they will always have what they have now?

All it will do for America is make it even further behind and it will lose its competitive edge, being digitally illiterate in ghettos of no physical services (because the digital age has made them no longer necessary) and very poor unstable and unreliable, lagging behind digital provision.

Not having net neutrality is the worst thing America can do for itself and its people on all levels. It is a huge act of self harm with dire consequences.

I quoted you the other day what Mr Putin said,

"Whoever leads in AI controls the world".

He is right.

Watch out! You are only as good as your weakest citizen. I say that to all nations. It is common sense wisdom. We have seen what the digital age is doing to every aspect of our lives.

You must wake up, America. I am only allowed to trade with you in software. If I buy anything from you in Britain they charge me HUGE import duties. Only today I was told I would have to pay $20 on an item to be delivered that only cost $35, after I had already paid for postage. I refused flatly. I can't agree to that. So now they will have to send the item back to the seller. All the EU do that to you, America. They have locked you out. It is true. It is political and is discouraging trade. I told you this so many times. Catch up, for goodness sake!

YOU MUST COMPETE. You must arm all your citizens with every resource on offer in the digital age. That way you will win and the the free world will stand a chance in the AI age. Let's face it, without America the rest of the free world is screwed. Little EU would not stand a chance against Russia if Russia made some deals. There is a lot of # going on right now. They criticize America, but without it they are just a lot of old men in suits battling Conan the Barbarian, lol!

edit on 15-12-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

You must arm all your citizens with every resource

Therein lies the problem. The citizenry is too apathetic to care. People don't listen. It's almost always a knee-jerk reaction.

The whole point of this thread was Cuban defending the most hated corporations in America, which I thought was funny. Sad, but funny. There's now a bunch of comments by people who are condescendingly telling me how the world works. Classic!
They apparently didn't even understand my thread, simple as it was.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

What does the physical layer have to do with the content you are accessing?

No matter how you connect to the "net" you will have access gateways of which are controlled by a provider of some sort.

Because the reason net neutrality is needed is because competition is being suppressed. Not even google can break through the red tape to bring in competition. Yeah until we get a healthy market give me net neutrality, but let's not lose sight of why it's needed. Competition will find a way via wireless tech and I don't want to be locked in to using antiquated wires, metaphorically.
edit on 15-12-2017 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I understood! Credit to you.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

I'd have to agree with him on it. Takes away free speech rights. Makes you afraid you will be ripped apart by someone or something. Also...I like his idea on investing in Netflix...because how many people do Netflix and Chill? haha

it would be stupid to invest in Netflix because net neutrality has been repealed. It will raise costs to both Netflix and it's customers.

What we need is the all the infrastructure owned by the government and then let any company come in and offer service while paying the government a fee. Then we would have real competition.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

it would be stupid to invest in Netflix because net neutrality has been repealed. It will raise costs to both Netflix and it's customers.

What we need is the all the infrastructure owned by the government and then let any company come in and offer service while paying the government a fee. Then we would have real competition.

Ah yes, put the government in direct control of the internet so they can watch you even more closely, and so they can censor it easier.

Government is not the answer.
edit on 12/15/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join