It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This net neutrality move seems a good thing.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

That’s right, I doubt ISPs start abusing their power before the 2018 elections or they could lose their leverage.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I didn't say you did/didn't have a choice from ISP's. You have a choice to turn it off, as do your neighbors. Equating the internet to electricity is a falsehood....better yet, 1st world problem.

Personally, I wouldn't like it (obviously) but lets remember that we still have choices. We are still in control of what services we use.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

incompetent government vs large companies

I find it odd that you place a negative adjective before the word Government, but not before large companies...
Greedy would have been a good and accurate choice, I believe.

Also, who’s/what’s to say those companies are not equally as “incompetent”?

I understand that internet is literally a way of life.

I’d guess that is an accurate assessment for the majority...

And as such...
That makes...

boycott

...pretty much impossible...

Which in turn, means there is almost nothing to dissuade them from jacking up prices...

At the end of the day, the majority are not going to give up their internet access, and they know this more than anyone...
Was one of the main reasons for the data collection programmes...

All you can do now is pray/hope/wish/cast a spell and wait to see if these $Bottom Line$ advocates have even a shred of altruism in their hearts.

I think the worst thing about this decision is you guys had nothing to lose with Net Neutrality...
Now you do.

Even if all us proponents of NN are entirely wrong, the actual risk of us being correct has now been realised.
A risk that didn’t exist yesterday morning.

Crazy.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I find it odd that you place a negative adjective before the word Government, but not before large companies... Greedy would have been a good and accurate choice, I believe.

Also, who’s/what’s to say those companies are not equally as “incompetent”?

Typically...and I use the term loosely, to keep a big company afloat, you need not be incompetent. I honestly didn't give it a second thought, just backing up what I said.

Improbable, IMO, not impossible. The whole point I'm aiming at here is that I'd rather be able to choose as opposed to being told by a government, even though we've paid for it (I'm assuming you guys did as well?) a large chunk of the infrastructure.

At the end of the day, the majority are not going to give up their internet access, and they know this more than anyone... Was one of the main reasons for the data collection programmes...

I don't disagree, and that is a rather sad state of affairs.

As I quoted earlier, necessity is the mother of invention. The tech is there, and so are the minds. Something will grow from this....I hope.

The risk has always been there. Whether it's Google/FB/Twitter/Reddit controlling the flow of information or the gov't, it boils down to the same thing.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

What I don't understand is why Apple, Microsoft, Google ect haven't just dumped more money into lobbying to KEEP Net Neutrality than the people lobbying to remove it?

My belief is that the data collection programmes have finally answered enough questions about the populations habits to now go forth with the plans of dividing up the territory, based on said results for maximum profit.

There is no way in hell Apple, Microsoft & Google are not going to increase profits after this repeal...
Or you can guarantee that lobbying you wonder about would have been done full force.

The question is what made them so sure of that profit increase, not to lobby for something they have always claimed to stand for?..
I can only think of involvement and a monetary percentage in the territorial monopoly of our nightmares.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I agree with Hazardous, the majority are not going to give up their internet connection.

Think of it this way, let’s say electricity has recently become mainstream and there are some people who have grown up with it. Their quality of lives are obviously better than those without it. However, there are older people around who grew up without electricity and don’t see why it is so important.

The bottom line is, what if society gave up electricity in order to avoid being drained dry by the hypothetically corrupt electric companies I posted about in my previous post? Would we really be better off?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

I agree with Hazardous, the majority are not going to give up their internet connection.

Think of it this way, let’s say electricity has recently become mainstream and there are some people who have grown up with it. Their quality of lives are obviously better than those without it. However, there are older people around who grew up without electricity and don’t see why it is so important. They think that it is no big deal for people to cut access to it. Maybe the older people don’t fully understand the benefits of electricity, or maybe they are masachists.

The bottom line is, what if society gave up electricity in order to avoid being drained dry by the hypothetically corrupt electric companies I posted about in my previous post? Would we really be better off?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Think of it this way, let’s say electricity has recently become mainstream and there are some people who have grown up with it. Their quality of lives are obviously better than those without it. However, there are older people around who grew up without electricity and don’t see why it is so important. They think that it is no big deal for people to cut access to it. Maybe the older people don’t fully understand the benefits of electricity, or maybe they are masachists.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I didn't say you did/didn't have a choice from ISP's. You have a choice to turn it off, as do your neighbors. Equating the internet to electricity is a falsehood....better yet, 1st world problem.

So USA are third world? It looks like because there are troubles even with drinking water ... Or is it second world, because commie is under every other bed?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   

That makes 3 of us then. Therein lies the problem and it's not a secret.

By the way you keep comparing this to electricity only perpetuates the core problem. Which necessity does internet fulfill; food, water, heat/cooling, air or living quarters?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker Ok well as much as I respect you NWtrucker I feel that you may need some edumacation on this. Net Nut is not a good thing. Let's say that you watch sports...which I know you do. If you use satellite tv and have dvr you need internet. In order for you to receive the data required to save the game you want to watch in the past you paid a certain amount for that Service. Now said isp can charge you more for the same service that you had in the past. If you use Netflix you may possibly have to pay more for that service. If you have a kid that plays games through Steam you may possibly have to pay more to allow them to do so. This whole idea stinks to high heaven. It is basically a censorship of what we have access to. You pay more you get more. On the top that makes sense but if you dig deeper you will realize that this move just censors people to view and watch based on the package they pay for.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

That makes 3 of us then. Therein lies the problem and it's not a secret.

By the way you keep comparing this to electricity only perpetuates the core problem. Which necessity does internet fulfill; food, water, heat/cooling, air or living quarters?

It allows you to connect/communicate with others all over the world, to share and access shared information. It takes away the control over information from governments or (media) corporations.

Nowadays this should be considered a civil right imho.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

It takes away the control over information from governments or (media) corporations.

Can't wait for this to happen. Bad news for Google, M$ and FB amirite!?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Net neutrality did not in anyway give power over the internet to the UN.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

This net neutrality move seems a good thing

Sometimes i really have to check twice if i am really on ATS or on a satire magazine like Der Postillon, since that Trump thing.

That whole Trump thing ate brains, as it seems!

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Actually it did...

Don’t you remember all the NWO globalist laws and regulations the UN put in place the last 2 years...

It was front page news on didnothappen.com

Until they shut the site down to cover up all the globalist laws they implemented.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Voter base of US conservatives are pure masochists. They are begging to be oppressed by corporations - who bought any official institution decades ago - directly. And I agree. In USA there is no need for government nor congress because all power is already in hands of well rooted plutocracy.

To be clear: US left or "progressive" part of political spectrum is farce also. Instead of struggle for better work and living conditions for all it is aimed on "identity" micromanagement of B# while sucking great money through Clinton foundation et al.

To be clear again: Situation in Europe is similar but not as tragic as in USA.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

This net neutrality move seems a good thing

Sometimes i really have to check twice if i am really on ATS or on a satire magazine like Der Postillon, since that Trump thing.

That whole Trump thing ate brains, as it seems!

Maybe brain eating zombies are real after all.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Actually it did...

Don’t you remember all the NWO globalist laws and regulations the UN put in place the last 2 years...

It was front page news on didnothappen.com

Until they shut the site down to cover up all the globalist laws they implemented.

Darn those sneaky globalists.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join