It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This net neutrality move seems a good thing.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: Aazadan

Ok. Answer me this question, if these violations were found and addressed prior to net neutrality in 2015, then why wouldn't the same mechanism work now?

Part of this repeal involved taking away the FCC's authority to regulate this. They passed it over to the FTC, but AT&T currently has a case against the FTC arguing they don't have the legal authority to regulate the sector. And AT&T is actually right in this case. Basically we repealed it and unlike prior to 2015 we also stripped all regulatory authority from the government in the process.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: Iscool

Wow . You really have no clue what net neutrality is . Seriously you don't from what you just wrote.

Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twittter and dozens of others were started before Obama's net neutrality.

Exactly mcfly . here is the piece you are not seeing. wait for it , wait for it.

Net Neutrality principles existed since the INCEPTION of the Internet way way back even before Obama came along. BTW Al gore did not invent the internet either.

Google ,amazon and the others were able to become a success because of net neutrality. Eitherwise the ISP would have squashed them.

Searches are restricted on Google with net neutrality...Facebook removes posts and posters that don't agree with their agenda...And let's not even discuss Reddit...

What do you think they will do now that you gave the highest bidders the key to the kingdom? They not only control their own websites now , but the whole internet.

One thing that I know is that if reverting back to the old days doesn't work out,

the old days was having net neutrality principles. Not until verizon sued the gov't in 2015 that it temporarily went away for a short period. Then Came reclassification to counter the lawsuit to allow for net neutrality principles to continue.

doesn't work out, it will affect all of us and Congress will be forced to make some changes to our benefit.

Right in fantasy land it works like that but reality it doesnt. Just like the GOP screaming about OBAMACARE as the antichrist for the last 8 year and they get full control and do nothing.

The existing ISP industry rates among the most hated corporations by its customer base year after year and yet they still stay in business. Why because they have the money and power to lobby congress and ensure their monopolistic practices continue.

Without giving our internet away to the U.N..

What in the world is this UN talk with net neutrality?

Ok, I'm convinced. A s**t load of regulations are bad news, but in this case it looks like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Looks like Trumps general view of deregulating-which i agree with- is creating more problems than it solves, in this instance. I'd say it's up to we Trumpsters to get on the horn and yell 'hey, wait a minute'!

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Thank you for that explanation. You're the only one that has bothered.

So in your electricity analogy, is there laws in place that stops that scenario from occurring?

Yes. It comes with the definition of a utility. Utilities are allowed to charge for a product, but they aren't allowed to charge different rates based on what the service is used for.

Exactly and in addition, the Internet tittle 2 reclassification was also exempt from many of the utility rules.
edit on 031231America/ChicagoFri, 15 Dec 2017 13:03:13 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
well the foolish isp's will definitely start trying to screw people over with this new change, but then again it might be a good thing because people might start switching to smaller more fair isp's therefore increasing competition forcing the big boys to actually improve services, upgrade infrastructure and lower prices or go out of business.

maybe the FCC thinks the american public needs a wakeup call to demand improvement to our IT infrastructure and services so they decided to make it easier for isp's to screw people over. if people feel some pain something might change...

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

t then again it might be a good thing because people might start switching to smaller more fair isp's therefore increasing competition forcing the big boys to actually improve services

How I wish that was true but very unlikely . Not even google had much success on implementing google fiber from all the existing ISP Oligarch walls they built to ensure lack of competition.

There business model thrives on monopolistic economics. It the reason they get voted most hated corporation by its customer base year after year and still continue to stay in business.

I'm one of their victims and so wish I could cancel my account with comcast, but I cant because their is no other fast speed competitor in my area like 85% of the country.

maybe the FCC thinks the american public needs a wakeup call to demand improvement to our IT infrastructure and services so they decided to make

How I wish that was true as well. The current FCC head has a long standing goal to kill net neutrality not because its good for the consumer , but because he was the HEAD of the ISP lobbyist and had vested interest to kill it. They have been after this for over a decade.

The revolving door between the FCC and the ISP head lobbyist group would make your head spin and goes back several presidents republicans and democrats.

edit on 091231America/ChicagoFri, 15 Dec 2017 13:09:38 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: ScepticScot

The argument that government regulation is never the answer is the one that is absurd.

No one made that argument.

Yes you did. It's in the text I quoted.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Have fun paying more for your internet then because it about to get alot more expensive for you over there .
And get used to your content being restricted and censored .

Net Neutrality wasn't a thing before 2015.

And now it's not a thing again.

If we weren't censored and throttled before 2015, why should be now? Exactly what differences have occurred pre-2015 Net Neutrality and post 2015 Net Neutrality that were are now going to lose due to its being repealed?

geeeez...you're on the internet now. take a few minutes of your time and look "online" so you can understand the "why did they do it in 2015" question, and you'll find the answer

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Ok, I'm convinced. A s**t load of regulations are bad news, but in this case it looks like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Looks like Trumps general view of deregulating-which i agree with- is creating more problems than it solves, in this instance. I'd say it's up to we Trumpsters to get on the horn and yell 'hey, wait a minute'!

Wow I'm very impressed seriously. That is very cool of you and we could use more of that around here.

It a strength that many don't have when it comes to adjusting their views.

I don't recall someone actually ever changing their minds publicly atleast around here when it comes to politics.

Looks like Trumps general view of deregulating-which i agree with- is creating more problems than it solves, in this instance. I'd say it's up to we Trumpsters to get on the horn and yell 'hey, wait a minute'!

To be honest I don't think this was really trumps doing as I doubt he really grasps what net neutrality is or the impacts of it. I think he was played by the GOP worthless neocons.

This will come back to haunt him in 2020 when its to late for him.

Remember how the MSM CNN and msnbc painted hillary like she walks on water and they along with the GOP ridiculed Trump and before him Ron Paul .

The lobbyiest candiate got the good coverage the outsider got the bad coverage. Well that is what it will be like again but not only on the radio,tv, movies, but now on the Internet as well.

The internet was a big factor on Trumps success to expose the Hillary bs , but now the MSM and the lobbyist just took control of that medium.

I really don't think much can be done now , but I know fighting between both parties certainly doesn't help.
Our best chance is to bring focus back to it from all party lines.

edit on 361231America/ChicagoFri, 15 Dec 2017 13:36:06 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
As IT professional working for small ISP in central Europe I can assure you net neutrality is principal of free internet.

We have no trouble to deliver 1Gbps connection without any limit for $15/month ... if you are lucky and you are living in suburbs build after 60' (there are collectors so it is easy to bring optic lines to every house). Year ago started massively funded initiative to build community broadband connection to every village. In 2 - 3 years will be half of households connected to 1Gps infrastructure while the base lines will be able to serve needs for another 20 years ...

I see US debate over net neutrality as typical campaign of US corporations trying to squeeze last drops of juice of customers while offering subpar services.

We have cities with larger population than you whole country and we have 40 states bigger than your whole country... Just saying some problems are much easier to solve on such a small scale.
edit on 15-12-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
As IT professional working for small ISP in central Europe I can assure you net neutrality is principal of free internet.

We have no trouble to deliver 1Gbps connection without any limit for $15/month ... if you are lucky and you are living in suburbs build after 60' (there are collectors so it is easy to bring optic lines to every house). Year ago started massively funded initiative to build community broadband connection to every village. In 2 - 3 years will be half of households connected to 1Gps infrastructure while the base lines will be able to serve needs for another 20 years ...

I see US debate over net neutrality as typical campaign of US corporations trying to squeeze last drops of juice of customers while offering subpar services.

We have cities with larger population than you whole country and we have 40 states bigger than your whole country... Just saying some problems are much easier to solve on such a small scale.

This upscale argument is flawed. "Where these is a will, there is a way." If the funding, motivation, and most importantly no partisan bickering inhibiting it, we could easily earmark tons of funds to upgrade the internet across the country and make it a public utility. We should start with any money earmarked for that wall; that would be a much better use of infrastructure improvement funds instead of using it to be a huge asshat to foreigners.

Speaking of the wall, if you think that that wall can seriously be built by Trump, then you best believe that a project like this could be completed too.
edit on 15-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

If all this comes into play, does this mean a possible resurgence of internet cafes that offer 'premium service for a small user fee?

Perhaps some computers with connections to some groupings and others to different ones? Take your pick?

With change there comes opportunities...

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Ok, Thanks, again.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Just saying some problems are much easier to solve on such a small scale.

And some problems were never real problems ,but rather excuses .

Net neutrality principles have existed since the inception of the Internet and is part of the reason why the Internet became the success that it is.

It has also allowed for even the ISP to become successful behemoth cash cows. Why do you think now its an issue and a bad thing that hinders innovation or hinders the private industry?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

There can be no premium service because if you go to a competitors website (not owned by the isp from the cafe) you could be throttled or blocked.

Of coarse they may provide a service that does let you go anywhere but as a business owner you can't exactly go and do that without passing the cost on to the consumer.

If my Verizon hotspot needs to link up to a Comcast hosted website to upload inspection data it could be a problem.
edit on 15-12-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

a reply to: interupt42

If all this comes into play, does this mean a possible resurgence of internet cafes that offer 'premium service for a small user fee?

Perhaps some computers with connections to some groupings and others to different ones? Take your pick?

With change there comes opportunities...

Unfortunately not. there are very little technical options to go around this but not because of technical limitations, but because of ISP created regulations in the build up to this.

Plus that net cafe would be just like you they could be paying for the fast business Internet package but if netflix who has nothing to do with that cafe doesn't pay the extortion fees any and all traffic to them will be slowed down.

Mesh network could have been a way around it but they passed regulations to make people responsible for their shared connections in the past in the preparation for this day.

In other words mesh network that could circumvent net neutrality to some extent are now hindered useless because if by any chance some one uses your shared connection (which mesh network require) for pizzagate material, it will make you responsible for it. "

A way around that is through encryption to some extent , but they are already working on outlawing certain encryption methodology.

Then you have the people that think that vpn and tor would circumvent it but that is not true. the Tor nodes will not be whitelisted along with the vpn providers.

This was the best outcome for the lobbyists and gov't to get full control of the Internet with as little loopholes and cracks to circumvent it.

The other option is starting your own grass root ISP if you got the money. Even google has struggled with it.

perhaps a go fund-me , but like I said even google has struggled with it.
edit on 141231America/ChicagoFri, 15 Dec 2017 14:14:35 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Seems bad to me. Anytime you give powerful corporations that only care about money, free reign, they usually go for more profits over service and quality.

I know in some cases that we're over regulated and it's not always good, but the flip side is how do the little guys, you and me, have any say in the matter without, some regulation or some laws helping us out.

Without these laws and regulations it becomes survival of the fittest, only it's skewed against us since we're talking about giant corporations worth Billions with armies of lawyers and lobbyists.

There's got to be some middle ground.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Net Neutrality is the government forcing themselves between the customer and the service provider, and regulating the relationship between the two. Does that really sound like a good idea in the long-term?

If a service provider wants to throttle their services to the customer... then the customer will take their business elsewhere. Companies will emerge to compete with better services and better prices. This is how the free market works.

Ask yourself... was your internet service cheaper before or after Net Neutrality? I think we all know the answer.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I know in some cases that we're over regulated and it's not always good, but the flip side is how do the little guys, you and me, have any say in the matter without, some regulation or some laws helping us out.

The market. You find another option, and if cannot, you create another option.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

You don't understand how the internet works, do you? How about filling us in how some up-and-coming ISP trying to provide competitive rates will lay down its infrastructure to provide service.

Ask yourself... was your internet service cheaper before or after Net Neutrality? I think we all know the answer.

Seeing as how Net Neutrality has been a thing since the internet existed there isn't an answer to that question. It was only briefly revoked in 2015 before being reimplemented.
edit on 15-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Wow so much misinformation in one post.

Are you even trying to understand what net neutrality is and how long it has existed for?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join