It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This net neutrality move seems a good thing.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
As a lay person, almost a computer moron, I have little knowledge of these 'ins and outs'.

I've read many posts on the subject in today's thread pushing how this will 'do in' the Republicans...or Trump, perhaps both. How the biggies will control everything from what we see, how much we pay, if and when.

I don't like big corporations, I really don't like international corporations and I'm a Trumpster...go figure...

Later on, i saw more balanced opinions on this move, they struck as more rational, although I could be wrong and I'm sure some will point out where and how that is the case.

Bottom line is the original Obama effort gave control, at least potentially, to the UN. The right to control virtually everything. TO THE FREAKING UN. ( And , as usual, the cowards in the Republican Party did little to nothing about it.)

So is that true? Or is it a lie? Perhaps the usual ambiguously worded text that 'could' allow it to be interpretated as such. Perhaps even unwritten agreements? So it looks to me that this is a huge blow to the one-world crowd. A major setback.

Yes? No?

Ok, now the other side of the coin. The big greedy corporations. That they surely are. Yet, to this day, I can find alternatives to AT&T, Verizon and the rest of those bastards. Cheaper options to TV connections, internet service. Where the big boys seem never be able to shut down innovative thinking, ways to do it as well for cheaper. My examples are correct? Yes? No?

Worst case scenario is they find an way, meeting in Sun Valley, Idaho. to divvy up the territories, who to buy and at what price...all the worst results. Isn't it more possible that they can be controlled than the UN??

Yes, there's the lobbyists, the crony Capitalism to contend with, but things are changing in DC. More exposure of corruption-that was business as usual- than ever before.

There is a chance, a slim chance perhaps that we can correct/fix that a bit down the road? Certainly a better one than the NWO crowd that Obama was driving the US towards.

So not a perfect solution, for now, but better than it was under Obama's rules. Yes or No.

Educate me please, I'm all ears.

+46 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Free roaming of the whole internet will be reorganized to tiered packages of access, the more you want to surf and participate, the more it will cost. The bottom tier, (Basic service package) will limit the user to channel surfing only, commercial ads, comments disabled, censorship to g or pg rated videos and content, just like on cable tv. You can change channels, scroll, mute the commercials and pay for a whole bunch of channels you will never watch.

Good thing huh?

Censorship, a 'good' thing...

+37 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
As IT professional working for small ISP in central Europe I can assure you net neutrality is principal of free internet.

We have no trouble to deliver 1Gbps connection without any limit for $15/month ... if you are lucky and you are living in suburbs build after 60' (there are collectors so it is easy to bring optic lines to every house). Year ago started massively funded initiative to build community broadband connection to every village. In 2 - 3 years will be half of households connected to 1Gps infrastructure while the base lines will be able to serve needs for another 20 years ...

I see US debate over net neutrality as typical campaign of US corporations trying to squeeze last drops of juice of customers while offering subpar services.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Free roaming of the whole internet will be reorganized to tiered packages of access, the more you want to surf and participate, the more it will cost. The bottom tier, (Basic service package) will limit the user to channel surfing only, commercial ads, comments disabled, censorship to g or pg rated videos and content, just like on cable tv. You can change channels, scroll, mute the commercials and pay for a whole bunch of channels you will never watch.

Good thing huh?

Censorship, a 'good' thing...

Here's where I don't follow with that logic. There will always be someone who will offer more and better service at a better price...if it's still profitable. Heck, that's how cable TV and the net got started.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but at least the hue and cry would move the suddenly indignant politicians to act.

Even if you are correct, there is more chance to modify/correct/restrict down the road than if a wannabe world organization has control of it.

I notice you didn't answer that part of the OP. Why not?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
As IT professional working for small ISP in central Europe I can assure you net neutrality is principal of free internet.

We have no trouble to deliver 1Gbps connection without any limit for $15/month ... if you are lucky and you are living in suburbs build after 60' (there are collectors so it is easy to bring optic lines to every house). Year ago started massively funded initiative to build community broadband connection to every village. In 2 - 3 years will be half of households connected to 1Gps infrastructure while the base lines will be able to serve needs for another 20 years ...

I see US debate over net neutrality as typical campaign of US corporations trying to squeeze last drops of juice of customers while offering subpar services.

Perhaps that is true. However, the US and the UN never have gotten along, have they? It is not 'central Europe' where everyone loves what the gov't does for them. Happy and contented. A whole bunch of us are not. The range of political attitudes and the freedom to express them are already challenged by the current owners in Silicon Valley.

I would not add a bunch of elite Euros into the mix that decides who, what and when I choose to see something.

In any event, it is my hope that disentangling potential NWO control of US net services is the first step. Then, rein in the corporations down the road.

But thank you for the information. It has been heard.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Here's where I don't follow with that logic. There will always be someone who will offer more and better service at a better price...if it's still profitable. Heck, that's how cable TV and the net got started.

Thats hardly true, what results is monopolistic control of information, as usual. The PTB hate that the internet has obsoleted their control of the information airwaves. We have a say... we can disagree, expose their lies.

Thing is I remember what it was like before the internet. What they want is a return to the dark ages of top down, one way dissemination of information, by TV radio and newspapers.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius

Perhaps that is true. However, the US and the UN never have gotten along, have they? It is not 'central Europe' where everyone loves what the gov't does for them. Happy and contented. A whole bunch of us are not. The range of political attitudes and the freedom to express them are already challenged by the current owners in Silicon Valley.

I would not add a bunch of elite Euros into the mix that decides who, what and when I choose to see something.

In any event, it is my hope that disentangling potential NWO control of US net services is the first step. Then, rein in the corporations down the road.

But thank you for the information. It has been heard.

We are small private company, we are fighting government/EU bureaucracy every day. And we support building of COMMUNITY networks. We simple see internet as utility ... in our view every citizen have right to access internet as every citizen have right to access potable water. It is in best interest of society to guarantee such basics for all citizens. It is much cheaper then to solve troubles of broken society.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Without the techno gobbledygook

1. If you pay your ISP for 50 mb download service should they provide that service the best they can? Or should they be legally allowed to slow you down on PURPOSE to 1mb, but continue to charge you for 50mb download speeds , because they want more money from another guy?

Well that is exactly what revoking Net neutrality does.

2. Do you believe in the free market or do you believe its good to give the govt and the corporations control of what you get to see,hear, buy, and who to purchase it from.

Well that is exactly what revoking Net neutrality did. You just gave the legal right to the Gov't and corporations to restrict and determine what you can access.

3. Do you think its a good thing for the MSM to determine what candidate is worthy of positive attention during elections.

Well that is what you will get by revoking Net neutrality. They know what is best for you.

4. The Internet is not a commodity , its a global market place and you have given the US gov't and the most hated companies in America full control to choose the winners and the losers of the biggest global market place.

5. Revoking net neutrality does the opposite of getting the gov'ts dirty fingers away from net neutrality. The gov't and the highest paying corporations now have complete control of the Internet since net neutrality is gone. That is why they have been fighting for this long before Obama came along.

6. Do you enjoy non mainstream sites such as ATS ?

Well you better start paying up to access such sites if they are even allowed to be whitelisted or are included in your selected web package.

7. Net neutrality existed since the inception of the internet and was what allowed it to be such a huge success. It was something that the lazy content non original thinking gov't and big corporations let fall through the cracks . Now they have closed the cracks that allowed the little guys to compete at the same level as the big guys. It was what allowed netflix,google, and amazon to name a few to go from nothing to huge success. Now you will be stuck with the existing Oligarch for the rest of your life and their will be very little ingenuity to come. They don't have to compete any longer they just pay to make sure nobody else gets the bandwidth if they don't play along.

This is like when the GOP and its right wing media convinced the individual republicans that going full commie is a good thing and its ok for big gov't to bailout private industries with tax payers money. The GOP just pulled another fast one on its own followers.
this will be the republicans obamacare.

edit on 501231America/ChicagoFri, 15 Dec 2017 00:50:30 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Have fun paying more for your internet then because it about to get alot more expensive for you over there .
And get used to your content being restricted and censored .

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I take more of your threads as sarcasm if I'm right? If not so, gonna have to lump this sentiment into what I'd refer to with others. Enjoy your packages(ATS might be on the way out RIP) and throttled gigs ie less video streaming until you pay more for it.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Have fun paying more for your internet then because it about to get alot more expensive for you over there .
And get used to your content being restricted and censored .

Net Neutrality wasn't a thing before 2015.

And now it's not a thing again.

If we weren't censored and throttled before 2015, why should be now? Exactly what differences have occurred pre-2015 Net Neutrality and post 2015 Net Neutrality that were are now going to lose due to its being repealed?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Isn't it more possible that they can be controlled than the UN??

You think the UN, whose every resolution is ignored by some such country for any such reason they desire, with absolutely no consequences...
Are harder to control than the mega corps who put these same political stooges in power in the first place?

I think you might be slightly delirious.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
So where are these 'packages' now and where were they before 2015?

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

Net Neutrality was a direct response to the very things you claim weren’t happening before 2015.

In other words the companies started to move towards such and were stopped with Net Neutrality.

Now it’s repealed they can safely and happily return to their initial plans.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Is that a joke or sarcasm, because that is completely false. Net Neutrality principles existed since the inception of the Internet.

in 2015 is when Verizon lobbied and went to court to try to kill it. The FCC had to reclassify the Internet under extreme pressure from the tech industry to preserve it. This time around The tech industry didn't lobby as hard to stop it. Which indicates a back room deal was reached where the consumer is no longer protected .

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

The right to control virtually everything. TO THE FREAKING UN.

I think it wise to be concerned about the whole world being controlled by the UN. I also think it less wise to think that just leaving that control to international corporations is a better idea.

So is that true? Or is it a lie? Perhaps the usual ambiguously worded text that 'could' allow it to be interpretated as such. Perhaps even unwritten agreements? So it looks to me that this is a huge blow to the one-world crowd. A major setback.

Yes? No?

Only if one is ‘’less wise’’ and believes that the ‘’one world’’ crowd is working primarily through the UN. The real ‘’one world’’ crowd are the ceos and international corporations that want to control EVERYTHING through complete control of all the worlds resources finances and trade.

Where the big boys seem never be able to shut down innovative thinking, ways to do it as well for cheaper.

Then why do all their prices keep going up. And shutting down innovatative thinking? Are you not aware of all the inventions that have been bought up and shelved by large corporations because they would jeopardize their monopolies? Look at the headline just after your thread. Disney just bought Fox for 52 billion.

There will always be someone who will offer more and better service at a better price.

Pure fantasy

Even if you are correct, there is more chance to modify/correct/restrict down the road than if a wannabe world organization has control of it.

You mean like some wannabe world organization like and international corporation that controls the ‘’hidden hand’ of the world market place?

Perhaps that is true. However, the US and the UN never have gotten along, have they?

What??? Reallly? Have you no historical knowledge of just who started the UN and who manipulated it’s founding so that it would have control of it for decades?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
So where are these 'packages' now and where were they before 2015?

Before 2015 you had net neutrality and it was illegal for those packages to have existed.

In 2015 Verizon temporarily won and net neutrality was killed for a short period of time.

During that short period of time all the verizon customers that were paying for fast 60mb+ download speeds were PURPOSELY slowed down by verizon to extort money from netflix.

So basically verizon told its customer yeah we don't care that you are paying for 60mb download we are only going to give you 1mb but continue to charge you until Netflix gives us more money.

Netflix paid and speed went partly back to normal and shortly after the reclassification occurred. So not enough time for netflix to pass the new fees on to the customers or the packages to have been implemented.

the packages that everyone is talking about won't come over night , but they are coming.

All republicans should be worried about this. Remember how the MSM only covered positive news for their MSM darlings such as Hillary and obama and only negative news on Trump. Well now they will be able to control the Internet which was the only place you saw negative news in regards to Hillary and where her BS was exposed.

edit on 131231America/ChicagoFri, 15 Dec 2017 01:13:35 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Is that a joke or sarcasm, because that is completely false. Net Neutrality principles existed since the inception of the Internet.

in 2015 is when Verizon lobbied and went to court to try to kill it. The FCC had to reclassify the Internet under extreme pressure from the tech industry to preserve it. This time around The tech industry didn't lobby as hard to stop it. Which indicates a back room deal was reached where the consumer is no longer protected .

Do you have a source for Obama's Net Neutrality rules being in place before they were put in place by the Obama administration? Because seriously - there is NO WAY the Obama administration Net Neutrality rules existed previous to Obama being the President.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

So basically verizon told its customer yeah we don't care that you are paying for 60mb download we are only going to give you 1mb but continue to charge you until Netflix gives us more money.

Sounds like a great reason to not use Verizon.

Should these corporations decide to throttle, sensor or even paywall sites, will it be public knowledge?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Sounds like a great reason to not use Verizon.

Agreed, but not possible for the majority of the country and that was why the reclassification was the better alternative out of the two choices.

I hate comcast and I have no choice but to use them as my ISP , because their is no other option in my area for fast interment.

The ISP industry are among the most hated corporations by its customer base year after year. However, despite that , they not only stay in business but they make record profits. The only way that can happen is when they have monopolistic practices.

In addition, even google with its deep pockets hasn't been successful in the ISP industry because of the monopolistic power of the 3 big ISP (verizon,att,comcast).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join