It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is one religion any better than any other

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Why is one religion any better than any other?

Before you respond with why your religion is better than mine please first consider a few thoughts about the nature of language and how it relates to personal dogma.

A dogma is a set of principles laid down by some authority you respect above all others. For some people absolute authority comes from within. But in either case, wherever you place your authority out there or from within, or in some person or some book, we are all still bounded by the nature and limitations of our human language.

In order to have meaningful language for your religion, you have to first have a set of assumptions or axioms you consider to be true without proof. From that point. you are then able to make statements in language you can identify as being true or insane. For example, just like the word God is used in religion, science has the word "Time". Time doesn't exist anywhere. I can't touch it. I can't see it. Yet it's everywhere and eternal according to the scientists. Here's a really cool article on the idea that Time is not real:

www.popsci.com...

"If you try to get your hands on time, it's always slipping through your fingers," says Barbour. "People are sure time is there, but they can't get hold of it. My feeling is that they can't get hold of it because it isn't there at all." Barbour speaks with a disarming English charm that belies an iron resolve and confidence in his science. His extreme perspective comes from years of looking into the heart of both classical and quantum physics. Isaac Newton thought of time as a river flowing at the same rate everywhere. Einstein changed this picture by unifying space and time into a single 4-D entity. But even Einstein failed to challenge the concept of time as a measure of change.

But this thread is not about Time but why is one religion better than any other. Again, consider the nature of language and having axioms. Every system of thought has a set of axioms. This is where everything breaks down in communication between people. People generally do not share the same set of axioms or are even aware that they have a set of ideas they accept as being true without any proof. It's just the way it is between people. So if my axioms are NOT the same as yours, then things I will say will seem insane to you. And things you say will seem insane to me. And if you can ascertain what someone else's axioms are in a conversation, then if your mind is big enough to pretend they are true, then you can see what the other person considers to be "truth" from their point of view.

Every religion, regardless of the source, has a set of assumptions or axioms that are considered to be absolute truth. These axioms are not challenged and do not require evidence or proof of their validity by the faithful. Either they are given to you through a book from some authority you consider to be the source of truth.

For people who believe in the Old Testament God, they have a set of axioms most people would not accept as being true. But this does not mean their dogma is better or worse than the dogma you and I have.

So now the question becomes, in my way of thinking, what set of axioms are the "right" set to have? I'm not sure there is a correct set as far as I can tell. I like to figure out what other people consider to be axioms. I'm like a collector of thought systems. I hold sets of axioms to be true like wearing clothing. But what I find really amusing is how strong people can be for a particular belief system as if their own either spoken or unspoken axioms are God's given truth.

Everyone has their own dogma. And my dogma is the only right one! The rest of you are insane! Prove me wrong and I will call you teacher.

edit on 14-12-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Sure fits American politics to a T.

A dogma is a set of principles laid down by some authority you respect above all others

The lines of religion,politics,and science have been extremely blurred.

In the 21st century they are one on the same.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

My thoughts exactly!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Easy answer:

I choose my heavenly father which sent his son, a piece of himself, to DIE for me out of love because that is how much we matter.

That is right... My Father Loves Me and You so much that he died for our sins so that we can live eternally if we so choose to accept that gift. Any other religion pales in comparison to that love.

And I also accept these truths:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
edit on 14-12-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Which "religion" is the right one? Well, that depends on message the religion is conveying, and whether or not you agree with that message. The more important question would be: Am I perceiving things objectively?

So now the question becomes, in my way of thinking, what set of axioms are the "right" set to have?

That's between the believer and God. A person who accepts "axioms" without questioning them is on a crumbling foundation. To me, that's the difference between Religion and Spirituality. Religion is unquestioned dogma. Spirituality is a reciprocal relationship between man and God.

So, ask God what axioms you should hold. If you don't believe in the possibility that God exists, then I suppose you would be wasting your time asking. I believe God exists. I talk to Him, and He always replies. So I am satisfied with my Spirituality, whether you choose to perceive that as Religion or not is up to you.
edit on 14-12-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Hmm... Are you asking for the official "axioms" of specific denominations, the personal "axioms" of individual believers, or why specific beliefs make one religion better than others?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Religions are control systems. Nothing more.

Faith.

One word. No labels. No dogmas. Just...

Have faith. Smile. Keep a light heart.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Religions are control systems, no doubt, but they keep global tyranny in an incoherent state. Could you imagine how dangerous it would be if only one religious system existed...one unified control system? It would be like the Tower of Babel.

If humanity woke up tomorrow and unanimously forgot that religion existed, it wouldn't be long until someone, somewhere created a new one. It would spread fast, like a virus, and that that virus would soon merge with politics and become a fascist beast.

I'm afraid religion is a necessary evil. With as much tyranny as it breeds, it prevents the fulfilment of global tyranny. As long as there are multiple religious systems, there will be no NWO.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I think Ye Old Pope Of Rome will try to rectify that one soon.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Religions are control systems, no doubt, but they keep global tyranny in an incoherent state. Could you imagine how dangerous it would be if only one religious system existed...one unified control system? It would be like the Tower of Babel.

If humanity woke up tomorrow and unanimously forgot that religion existed, it wouldn't be long until someone, somewhere created a new one. It would spread fast, like a virus, and that that virus would soon merge with politics and become a fascist beast.

I'm afraid religion is a necessary evil. With as much tyranny as it breeds, it prevents the fulfilment of global tyranny. As long as there are multiple religious systems, there will be no NWO.

I was raised Catholic. Indoctrinated is a better word.

Life taught me to embrace faith, over doctrine. You don't find God in any church. You find the creator in your heart. Miracles happen every day, if you are willing to look.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Only truth relative to the Spirit of God is justified and for that reason, it's the best.

i.e. Like measuring whether a glass is half empty or half full illustrates, what we actually measure is our own spirit (our own will to measure) and so truth must be relative to the one who willed the measurement to be consider justified or true (which ultimately boils down to the Spirit of God as that is the source of all will).

Again, to be considered true, truth itself must be justified by God (if you know the story of Yeshua then you will know that he was justified and now you know why it was so important for him to be so.)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Seek and you shall find. Ask and you shall receive.

You wont find anything if you're not looking for it.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Then perhaps if one stops seeking, stops asking, and stops looking: they could find nothing?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Everyone has their own dogma. And my dogma is the only right one! The rest of you are insane! Prove me wrong and I will call you teacher.

What? My religion is the best, its also got the best dogma, and axioms, in fact my religion's axioms, have there own dogma. See, even in that its already way better then your silly religion.

My religion is the best. Your's? Not so good, maybe not even second best.

In fact I would talk to you about my religion, and maybe even tell you of the eleven and a half tenths of my religions. The half? Whats the half you ask. Well its there because our God fell asleep when giving the twelve tenet, then woke up, and wondered off somewhere, so the holy scriberer of tenets, only got half of it down. But it still must be followed, even though it makes no sense what so ever.

Yes! I could tell you all about that, and much, much more. But its against my religion to talk about my religion.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Why is one religion any better than any other?

It's not that one religion is better than another.

It's that one religion is more relevant for the "current times" than the others.

For example, Buddhism takes the "long view", while Christianity takes the "short view".

The Christian religion is only concerned with the time to the end of the current cycle.

Buddhists worry about all the cycles of time that repeat over and over, so they spin the "wheel".

Christians are concerned about getting into heaven immediately when they die, and Buddhists are more concerned about what happens after that. The Jews, on the other hand, are preoccupied with rebuilding the temple right here on earth, and re-establishing the earthly life of the Israeli state. They are building their future right here on earth, and not planning any heavenly trips.

So, each religion is focused on some particular "time frame", a local time, a short time, or a long time, view.

You can't say one religion is "better", because it depends on where "your soul" is currently in the drama.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
A religion is like a map of the world.
The best map is the one that describes the world most accurateky and usefully. Only the foolish choose maps that reflect what they want to see in the world (provinces moved from one country to another, home states moved to the latitude of Florida).
We need a map that is close enough to the truth to get us home safely.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I really think religion is just like an icon one wears,everyone saying his is better,they never use proof only speculation,are you controlled by 1 group or another?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   

What is it that is looking for some thing?
Saint Francis of Assisi said 'We are looking for what is looking'.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Then perhaps if one stops seeking, stops asking, and stops looking: they could find nothing?

No one will find nothing.
And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. Exodus 33:20

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I believe it's all down to the individual.
You believe what you were taught to believe so most likely the culture and location you are born into is a huge determining factor for which religion you might be into.

Personally I don't touch the stuff, but yeah... which ever 'God' the believer is into determines which 'God' is the 'right God', and that would've been determined by factors earlier in life.

There will also be people who converted, but they will make up a small % of total believers for a specific religion.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Perspective determines so much of our lives.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join