It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC votes to repeal net neutrality rules, a milestone for Republican deregulation push

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: jtma508
a reply to: seeker1963

Beyond whose control? These agencies are well within the control of gov't. They WANT this. You don't see many of them speaking out against it and saying how the consumers are going to take it up the rear do you? They're just letting the FCC do their wet work so they don't have to answer to voters.

Nobody complained on your side when the FCC under Obama was trying to shut down and silence Conservative shows and websites!!!

This is what you partisan hacks don't get!!!! It's all glory days when you guys run the majority. Yet the day will come when the other side takes over????

Suck it up dude! I want to see the partisan hacks lose their minds and forced into the mental health industry!

To add! Yes I was WRONG! There is government oversight of the FCC thru the Energy and Commerce Committee. So I was mistaken by saying the FCC has no government oversite.

Wow.

I’ve never seen such a partisan hack response complaining about partisan hacks...

You went from “no oversight” to “under Obama” within 5 minutes.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Stupid, stupid, stupid decision.

And I am generally a free market guy.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

But but but OBAMA!

I tldred that for you. Oh and fyi, whatboutisms are the cornerstone of partisan hack arguing.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Open_Minded Skeptic
The GOP mindset strikes again - the vote was on party lines - the only people that count to the GOP are the already obscenely wealthy. The rest of everybody, who are obviously all deadbeats or they would be rich, too, can go F themselves.

You see through the veil well my friend.
Once again, so much for the 'people's' President.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Now whats to stop big company's opinions like religious views, political views etc....

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I've been following the FCC before and including when Michael Powell was appointed chairman by "W" in 2001.

Ever heard of Clearchannel?

This total control of what media citizens are allowed to see/hear has been in the works for a long time.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I want to see the partisan hacks lose their minds and forced into the mental health industry!

I wonder if you wish other diseases and illnesses on people you disagree with.

Maybe a bit of testicular cancer or HIV...
A little Parkinson’s, perhaps?

Jesus wept!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Except these companies have made their intentions clear. Before the initial FCC ruling on net neutrality we saw these major companies throttling sites like Netflix. We saw Comcast wanting to move towards a tiered internet.

If nothing is going to change why did these companies fight so hard to get one of their own in charge of the FCC? Why did they fight so hard to get the net neutrality ruling overturned? Why did they feel the need to fabricate thousands of accounts posting in support of the repeal of net neutrality?

The actions of these companies both recently and in the past make it clear what they're intending. You can only allow yourself to be blind to those facts for so long.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
net neutrality is an overrated issue.

you really think any business in their right mind is going to totally throttle internet packages and change the entire economy of the country?

no it's not

Yes, yes they will. The actions that led to the creation of the Net Neutrality rules was plans by ISP's to throttle the internet and divide it into tiers. Additionally, the ISP's also favored their traffic over their rivals

Comcast tests tiered internet 2012

Comcast favors Xfinity over Netfilx

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

They have been. Anytime a bill is proposed to end net neutrality those sites are on the front line and very vocal about getting in shot down. Clearly they must be worried about something.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
To all the people that are saying we should give the big ISPs the benefit of the doubt that they won't throttle or block services, here's some examples of the kind of crap that was happening before net neutrality.

In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.

In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

source

edit on 14-12-2017 by Slanter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
What pre-net neutrality horrors were there that don't exist in 2016 after net neutrality was in place?

Anyone?

With net neutrality Comcast is still a monopoly, ISP's can still throttle via a loophole, and we still see bundling.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I've been following the FCC before and including when Michael Powell was appointed chairman by "W" in 2001.

Ever heard of Clearchannel?

This total control of what media citizens are allowed to see/hear has been in the works for a long time.

Some would argue that it was already in place.

Rip censorship 2015-2017.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
well there goes freedom of speech in america and every other right, get ready for our telecommunication infrastructure to fall even further behind the rest of the first world too.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
goodbye bitcoin ^^

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Not only that, but almost every business in the tech space spends a lot of time and money trying to figure out how to trap consumers in their own eco-space. It is a primary objective that now will rear its ugly head to bite everyone in the ass.

Huge win for large incumbents. Screw new entrants and everyone else.

People who support this change have no clue what they have really done here.

edit on 14-12-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Well for one, Comcast wasn't allowed to go ahead with their tiered internet plans. That's a pretty big plus.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Nobody complained on your side when the FCC under Obama was trying to shut down and silence Conservative shows and websites!!!

This is what you partisan hacks don't get!!!! It's all glory days when you guys run the majority. Yet the day will come when the other side takes over????

I don't understand this at all. Net Neutrality does not favor the left or the right, it is NEUTRAL. The core principal of net neutrality is that ALL traffic is treated equal. That means that a far right wing site and a far left wing site are treated exactly the same.

Without net neutrality, the ISP's will do whatever is best for their business. This means they can block content that they view bad for business. So, let me give you a quick example.

Far right wing sites that are anti-Muslim are bad for business because it alienates a large demographic. So this means that in order to appease their Muslim customers, ISP's will block right wing sites.

link   
Ummm the speeds are what you pay for now so whats going to change?? No internet for blacks I suppose it what your going to say. Set up a business and make it tax deductible that what lifes all about.

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Well for one, Comcast wasn't allowed to go ahead with their tiered internet plans. That's a pretty big plus.

Comcast has still maintained a cap, and we still see tiered services like with spotify.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join