It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC votes to repeal net neutrality rules, a milestone for Republican deregulation push

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: darkbake

Nothing like a good ole ISIS inspired bomb threat to cut the event short!!! Guess certain people think violence and threats are the norm when Democracy doesn't go their way???

Security Cuts FCC Chair Ajit Pai’s Speech Short For Bomb Threat

I fail to see where Democracy had any part in this. 100% corporate brute force at the hands of their paid minions.

Why do you think our own elected officials created agencies that are beyond their control? Answer that one for me!!!! A bomb threat is definitely a terrorist act and most certainly qualifies as brute control!

Butt hurt? No worries. If you love Democracy and you don't get your way, just threaten to kill people and maybe, JUST maybe you might scare your government enough to give in!

Give me a break!
edit on 14-12-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Xtrozero

How exactly does this breed more competition? The cost to lay down new infrastructure is astronomical. Meanwhile, the major corporations that already exist are still mooching off of tax payer funded infrastructure.

If these companies want to create their own infrastructure then I say let them have free reign over what they want to do. But as long as they continue to rely on everything that was bought and paid for by our taxes then the internet should definitely be categorized as a utility.

The Bell telephone company was granted a monopoly in exchange for providing telephone service to every home regardless of geographic location. Eventually they had to split up into regional subsidiaries. But now they have more or less reformed into the single company as before.

Companies like Verizon won't privide fibre to some areas because there isn't enough demand. But they'll block anyone else from providing fiber due to their monopoly status. They will campaign against any other provider of service. But the minute they do face competition, their rates go down.

link   
Go figure The FCC is being ran by a former Verizon Lawyer ............

link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: JDmOKI

nope not a chance, to many companies and individuals rely on the current form of the internet and Comcast as an example begins a throttled media package goes out of business literally overnight while everyone switches to a competitor.

Also businesses rely on the dark web meaning that 90% of business will be affected by this change.

I wouldn't be worried about it at all.

Which competitor would that be exactly?

your over reacting there is plenty of internet data packages out there such as AT&T. With unlimited data and the coming 5g networks I don't think tethering is out as an option.

Truly nothing to see here folks move along.

So you are saying to switch to a cell phone carrier for your internet?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

You really think they wouldn't? The larger ISPs are already in cahoots with each other. So why wouldn't they make moves to maximize all their profits?

It's like those people that say deregulating health insurance will lead to lower costs. The vast majority of insurance is provided by four companies (I guess it's actually three now that CVS bought Aetna.) Why do people think that giving these companies more opportunity to make a profit will lead to them voluntarily choosing to make less profit?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Your reply would make sense if there was competition among ISPs. But there is not. ISPs work together to ensure that for the most part, each area of the U.S. or of a certain city is covered by only one of them.

Here is an example of what this partitioning of territory looks like, in general.

Many Americans have no choice of broadband provider.

30% of American households have no choice of who they get their wireline internet from (or no wireline internet at all). That leads to some of the highest prices on the planet for internet access, as the chart below (of pricing per megabit of data) shows.

Nearly one in three American households have no choice when it comes to their internet

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
Go figure The FCC is being ran by a former Verizon Lawyer ............

Appointed to the FCC by Obama, to the head of the FCC by Trump.

I tried my best as a patriotic American to warn my fellow brothers and sisters that we, once again, were all being played. And here we are...

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

driving a majority of your clientele out of business isn't exactly a probable choice as an executive of one of the big companies dominating the market

let me see, what's a data internet package go for these days for larger business's who's main source of income derives itself from the internet??

trust me it's not changing

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I don't have a choice. My internet, Armstrong Cable, started out at $20 a month and since then they've been steadily increasing the bill every so often. It's at $50 now. I can't switch to anything else and have to deal with their crappy service.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Beyond whose control? These agencies are well within the control of gov't. They WANT this. You don't see many of them speaking out against it and saying how the consumers are going to take it up the rear do you? They're just letting the FCC do their wet work so they don't have to answer to voters.

link   
Also I would like to mention I would think Google, Apple and Amazon would be fighting this considering the way they generate traffic and how they collect and study data.

Their interests is in free and open internet as well. It's the worlds biggest resource for collecting data on individuals.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: JDmOKI

nope not a chance, to many companies and individuals rely on the current form of the internet and Comcast as an example begins a throttled media package goes out of business literally overnight while everyone switches to a competitor.

Also businesses rely on the dark web meaning that 90% of business will be affected by this change.

I wouldn't be worried about it at all.

Which competitor would that be exactly?

your over reacting there is plenty of internet data packages out there such as AT&T. With unlimited data and the coming 5g networks I don't think tethering is out as an option.

Truly nothing to see here folks move along.

Also, have you ever heard of IoT or internet of things?

Guess what they all use the network's data and throttling it isn't going to be exactly the move someone like Comcast would be interested in.

Yes it is something Comcast is interested in, they've already done it; they were caught throttling traffic, which is why Net Neutrality laws were put into effect in the first place. ISP's were starting to put stringent data caps on their customers with large overage fees and straight up throttling websites that ran in competition to their interests, as a result net neutrality regulations were created.

They were created because ISP's realized they could do this and eliminate their competitors or other competitors for a price.

Net Neutrality wasn't born out of the ether, it was a solution to a recognized corruption in the telecom market.
edit on 14-12-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Also I would like to mention I would think Google, Apple and Amazon would be fighting this considering the way they generate traffic and how they collect and study data.

Their interests is in free and open internet as well. It's the worlds biggest resource for collecting data on individuals.

They have been fighting it.
Google and Amazon are fighting to save net-neutrality rules that Trump says are killing business

Apple calls for 'strong' open internet protection in FCC comments
edit on 14-12-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I agree completely the republicans can sway the loyal republicans but everyday silent majority voters will vote anyones arse out of you mess with their wallet and freedom of information

The Republicans are playing with fire

might be why some are already moving against the d3cision. better way to fix this is to bar the FCCpeople from getting a job or anything from their former/future employers/stock/profits.
they were bought andpaid for. so lets punish them by cutting their reason for this off.

someone is getting offed for this i bet.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Here's the problem: people rely on the internet these days. It is similar to food or water. What is someone going to do if the price of the internet goes up past what they are willing to pay? Not have internet access? It is highly unlikely that ISPs will lose customers by screwing them over.

On the other hand, I have heard of low-Earth orbit satellite internet. It could potentially compete with ISPs in the future if the technology succeeds.

In 1990, Teledesic was formed to deliver satellite-based Internet service. Cellular pioneer Craig McCaw, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal were early investors and Boeing was both an investor and the prime contractor. Teledesic hoped to offer global Internet connectivity using a constellation of 840 satellites in low-Earth orbit (LEO) at an altitude of 700 km. (The plan was scaled back to 288 satellites in 1997).

Teledesic failed. Twenty-seven years later three companies SpaceX, OneWeb and Boeing are trying to do what Teledesic could not do. Will they succeed?

Will Low-Earth Orbit Satellite Internet Service Providers Succeed?
edit on 14pmThu, 14 Dec 2017 13:26:42 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 14pmThu, 14 Dec 2017 13:27:06 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
We need to do this for "Our Safety" There is a group of Muslims™ who use the intraweb to traffic in blond haired sex slaves and shiny, new White Toyotas™ A full fleet of bn Toyotas, all the same color as if they were purchased using a "Fleet Purchase"

When the Youngest person reading this, their grandkids, are finally told that 9/11™ was an 'inside job' they'll find out that the traitor at the State Dep't. that approved the funds for these Toyotas, pocketed the difference between "a bunch of different Toyotas" and "a bunch purchased via a "Fleet Deal"...

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Nothing like a good ole ISIS inspired bomb threat to cut the event short!!! Guess certain people think violence and threats are the norm when Democracy doesn't go their way???

Security Cuts FCC Chair Ajit Pai’s Speech Short For Bomb Threat

I fail to see where Democracy had any part in this. 100% corporate brute force at the hands of their paid minions.

Why do you think our own elected officials created agencies that are beyond their control? Answer that one for me!!!! A bomb threat is definitely a terrorist act and most certainly qualifies as brute control!

Butt hurt? No worries. If you love Democracy and you don't get your way, just threaten to kill people and maybe, JUST maybe you might scare your government enough to give in!

Give me a break!

Dude; congress got 101 million dollars to see to it that once the FCC repeals net neutrality that congress won't block it. Who paid the 101 million to every single member of congress? The 4 major telecom companies in the country. That's 100% NOT democracy, that's not even a republic, that's straight bought and paid for by corporation policy, that's called corporatocracy.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I say people start working on their own, underground internet where ideas will flow freely. Better that then to bend over and say thank you.

Wouldn't that be cool though? Kind of like pirate radio back in the day.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Beyond whose control? These agencies are well within the control of gov't. They WANT this. You don't see many of them speaking out against it and saying how the consumers are going to take it up the rear do you? They're just letting the FCC do their wet work so they don't have to answer to voters.

Nobody complained on your side when the FCC under Obama was trying to shut down and silence Conservative shows and websites!!!

This is what you partisan hacks don't get!!!! It's all glory days when you guys run the majority. Yet the day will come when the other side takes over????

Suck it up dude! I want to see the partisan hacks lose their minds and forced into the mental health industry!

To add! Yes I was WRONG! There is government oversight of the FCC thru the Energy and Commerce Committee. So I was mistaken by saying the FCC has no government oversite.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Nobody complained on your side when the FCC under Obama was trying to shut down and silence Conservative shows and websites!!!

This is what you partisan hacks don't get!!!! It's all glory days when you guys run the majority. Yet the day will come when the other side takes over????

Suck it up dude! I want to see the partisan hacks lose their minds and forced into the mental health industry!

To add! Yes I was WRONG! There is government oversight of the FCC thru the Energy and Commerce Committee. So I was mistaken by saying the FCC has no government oversite.

Let's stay on topic with net neutrality.

Plenty of us have been - and will continue to be - in favor of it.

Partisan hacks, lol, go take it to another thread, man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join