It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC votes to repeal net neutrality rules, a milestone for Republican deregulation push

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Thanks for starting this thread. I have heard of the "Net Neutrality" law, but had no idea what it was about.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Question for those taking party line shots, if net neutrality was so vitally important why did the democrat controlled Congress not pass a law to protect it?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Xtrozero

There is hardly any competition, in fact, major ISPs like to divide the U.S. into territories so that only one of them is operating in each area.

As for prices increasing, my logic goes like this: ISPs will be able to to artificially slow down speeds of everything from online gaming to Netflix streaming unless the gaming company / streaming video company pays the ISP extra - this will result in prices going up for the consumer. In addition to this, ISPs will start enforcing strict data caps - but you might be able to watch unlimited Netflix, for a fee.

That is just the beginning.

Not to mention when the ISPs start dictating which websites they will host and the customer has to buy more than one package to visit their favourite sites...

Which is probably being worked out between them to make as much money as possible...

Also probably what all the personal data collection has all been for.

To say costs will decrease is just ludicrous.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
So, now that Net neutrality is done (and for that matter, ISP hackers will be protected by the population) Who has the address for the FCC head?

I'm sure there's a lot of people that would love to pay him a visit

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
net neutrality is an overrated issue.

you really think any business in their right mind is going to totally throttle internet packages and change the entire economy of the country?

no it's not

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Nothing like a good ole ISIS inspired bomb threat to cut the event short!!! Guess certain people think violence and threats are the norm when Democracy doesn't go their way???

Security Cuts FCC Chair Ajit Pai’s Speech Short For Bomb Threat

edit on 14-12-2017 by seeker1963 because: added link

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

You really think a billion dollar isp won't charge consumers extra when they have zero competition or regulation stopping them? I wish I lived in that world

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree but I didn't elect that ex Verizon lawyer on the FCC

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Thanks, Obama.

See, if it WAS something Obama did we could be absolutely certain that Trump would repeal it cause that's what Trump does. That's all that Trump does.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Give a cable company enough power, and they will do whatever it takes to make money, regardless of it ruining the rest of the economy and costing consumers more. Their customer service ratings are some of the lowest out there, if not the lowest.

Cable TV and Internet providers aren't scoring well with their customers, at least according to a report out Wednesday from research firm Temkin Group. A poll ranking the customer service of 235 companies across 19 industries found the cable TV industry in last place followed by ISPs in second to last place. (There are a couple of health plans and an airline tucked in the dungeon as well.)

Cable providers, ISPs, rank dead last for customer service

I'm betting the ISPs will make as much money as they can get away with, but you are right, they will have to start out slowly or risk losing their leverage if they piss too many people off.
edit on 14pmThu, 14 Dec 2017 13:05:40 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

nope not a chance, to many companies and individuals rely on the current form of the internet and Comcast as an example begins a throttled media package goes out of business literally overnight while everyone switches to a competitor.

Also businesses rely on the dark web meaning that 90% of business will be affected by this change.

I wouldn't be worried about it at all.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Whelp, say good bye to Netflix... It was fun while it lasted.

link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree but I didn't elect that ex Verizon lawyer on the FCC

Neither did I! That's one of the big issues I have with many of our enforcement agencies that don't have Congressional oversight!

If you think about it, we have our own EU ruling over us when we have Federal Government agencies that our elected officials have no control over........

link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

nope not a chance, to many companies and individuals rely on the current form of the internet and Comcast as an example begins a throttled media package goes out of business literally overnight while everyone switches to a competitor.

Also businesses rely on the dark web meaning that 90% of business will be affected by this change.

Which competitor would that be exactly?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Nothing like a good ole ISIS inspired bomb threat to cut the event short!!! Guess certain people think violence and threats are the norm when Democracy doesn't go their way???

Security Cuts FCC Chair Ajit Pai’s Speech Short For Bomb Threat

I fail to see where Democracy had any part in this. 100% corporate brute force at the hands of their paid minions.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Thanks, Obama.

See, if it WAS something Obama did we could be absolutely certain that Trump would repeal it cause that's what Trump does. That's all that Trump does.

I think he's referencing that 4 of the 5 voters were appointed by Obama.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Im more Pissed off but yea it wouldn't be immediate theyll sneak it in slowly so people won't notice

Yea know like a theif stealing your Wallet

link   
As I said in the other thread, if it's between government regulating internet companies and corporations regulating the internet, I'll choose the government regulating internet companies.

And as another member pointed out, I hope you get ATS in your package!

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
The key word is "regulating" as in you lose your internet freedoms and choices you have now. I don't see your increased cost when it will basically do the exact opposite by lowering cost due to competition. Obama's internet control plan would have but the internet in the hands of a few companies and allow them to tell you what you will see/use on the internet....not good.

Repeat after me, less regulations is good, after a base set of regulations why would we need more in anything since all that further regulations do is add levels of bureaucracy that slow things down to a stop. This is why Trump is saying for every new regulation 5 or more will be repealed.

Less regulation is not always good. Some things require regulation or they become corrupt to serve the will of the profit margins. How does repealing net neutrality provide competition? It does the exact opposite, neutral allows competition, bias skews competition.

Also; pretty much every county in the entire United States has 15-20 year exclusive contracts with ISP service providers in their county, allowing only ONE cable company and ONE ADSL company. Satellite internet is a non-starter and is not an alternative because of how poor the service is.

This decision favors nobody but the telecom companies.

To put it in a different way;

ISP's aren't there to control what websites you see and what you don't, they are there to provide to you the internet as a whole. An analogy would look something like this;

You buy a Ford vehicle and the license agreement for the sale of the vehicle says you're not allowed to use their vehicle to travel to Regal Cinema's unless you pay them an additional 3,000$ on the top of your car note.

Ford doesn't get to tell me where I go in their vehicle, just like ISP's don't get to tell me where I go with their service.

If we lived in an actual capitalist society instead of a crony one, an internet service provider would open up in your town the day after this goes into affect and their advertising would be that they still offer freedom in their internet and remain neutral -- this would cause almost everyone to switch to these services immediately, this won't happen however, because the entire country is sewn up in exclusivity contracts for ISP's. You can't have a third party ISP in Fort Myers, Florida, for instance.
edit on 14-12-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: toysforadults

Which competitor would that be exactly?

your over reacting there is plenty of internet data packages out there such as AT&T. With unlimited data and the coming 5g networks I don't think tethering is out as an option.

Truly nothing to see here folks move along.

Also, have you ever heard of IoT or internet of things?

Guess what they all use the network's data and throttling it isn't going to be exactly the move someone like Comcast would be interested in.
edit on 14-12-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join