It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why millennials are facing the scariest financial future

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Excerpt the 56,000 who died in Vietnam Nam.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The only thing incorrect about your OP is that this has been independent of political parties. Both sides have been in bed with corporate CEOs and let this happen.

Outsourcing and h1b visa insourcing have been going strong for decades now and neither side has done anything about it.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: eXia7

I did the same thing and made good money until I hurt myself, I started mowing lawns, went to school at night, got a diploma in horticulture and structural landscaping, the till it takes on your body over the years is not pretty, my back is stuffed and I can no longer work in the industry, I'm now learning something new that involves no digging.

What you are saying is technically correct, although if that's your only plan you like me may run into trouble, if I were to offer you advice it would be diversify as your time doing what you do is limited.

I know my time could be limited. But I'm only 31 right now, I started working for myself around 25. I live in Florida, and we have a lot of well of clients in this region, plus construction/remodeling is booming. I'm actually in a good geographic location to run this type of business, so I plan to hire workers within another year or so. Right now I have help, but I want to try and expand eventually.

As for the second business, It's a lot easier than Lawn and Landscape work, and it pays better. I can make good money just renting my dump trailer to a contractor as all I have to do is haul it to the dump for $.

It's very frustrating, I've lost a lot of motivation over the past couple of years, but I'm trying to find myself again and give it the hardest push I've ever done. There are people in my industry(s) making millions, it all depends on how hard you work, and if you are good at marketing.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I don't think Millennials are facing a scary financial future. I think all of us are and only those that are as adaptable as Millennials are going to survive.

It's the older generations that think Coal and oil industries are good industries to get into now.
It's older generations that think Taxi companies aren't going extinct.
It's older generations that think our Manufacturing jobs are coming back.
It's older generations that aren't starting side hustles and businesses to make extra cash.
It's older generations that think the customer service industry isn't in for some tough changes because of immerging technology.

We need to adapt and be ready for anything and ready to switch careers and learn new skills. Be prepared to rent for a while if need be. Be prepared to start businesses to make extra cash.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The economy had a big change in direction during the Reagan era. The stock market was fluctuating between 800 and a 1000. With deregulation and new policies, exponential growth started and still continues. People that were privy to what was going on in the early to mid 80's are extremely wealthy today. IMO, this will collapse soon.

Its not just millennials, its from the latter Boomers and on. The IT industry is not the golden chariot, either. There are few jobs that last for more than a few years.

The cost of getting an education negates the IT golden chariot because of the payments for the huge debt. Many have $1000 or more in monthly payments to make. For those that have to jump from job to job because of layoffs, government education loans can be deferred for accrued interest. This makes paying the education debt a lifetime goal. Bankruptcy is not an option because everyone, unless 100% disabled, will have to earn something from any employment they can get. Its a form of debt slavery.

Why does the government need to charge accrued interest? Education should be free, along with healthcare and don't give me the argument of it being a commie plot.

Many may make the argument that people don't work hard enough and are lazy. BS, all hard work gets you is more hard work. All one needs is having great skill in making social connections and how to get their money.

edit on 14-12-2017 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

The only thing incorrect about your OP is that this has been independent of political parties. Both sides have been in bed with corporate CEOs and let this happen.

Outsourcing and h1b visa insourcing have been going strong for decades now and neither side has done anything about it.

I said nothing about parties, I spoke of conservative current philosophy( primarily republicans) of cater to the rich and libertarian nonsense.

Indeed that is both parties, its just that the GOP is much worse

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

I wish you luck, one of the hardest things is keeping staff that are reliable and good at it, I found that for most people they do this work as a stepping stone to a career, it takes time to train people up to a decent standard and it's frustrating when they leave and you have to do it again and again, the clients are very unforgiving if they are not happy with the job so if you find someone good give them incentive to stay.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

We need to get rid of social security. It wont be around later. I just keeping paying into it. It's getting manipulated stupid anyway. Why keep giving money to thieves.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

We need to get rid of social security. It wont be around later. I just keeping paying into it. It's getting manipulated stupid anyway. Why keep giving money to thieves.

Sure, just starve half the American population, good idea

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I was born in the 1970's. I lived through the 80's and 90's. I saw what my grandparents had and I see what millennials have. An entire generation of wealth was stolen from the millennials.

My grandmother was born in 1919 on a kitchen table in a dirt floor shack in Kentucky. She had a 3rd grade education and she retired in 1981 with a full pension. She owned 3 homes and had thousands upon thousands in the bank. She had enough money to have her dream home built in Florida. She moved from Kentucky to Detroit. During WW2 she worked in a munitions factory. She made parts for the bombs that were dropped on Japan. After war she went on to work for Crystler. She was an inspector. She climbed in and out of trunks all day inspecting wiring.

My grandfather was at the invasion of Normandy in WW2. He was one of the first people to hit the ground at Omaha Beach. He had an 8th grade education. After the war he went to work at Crystler. He retired in 1986 with over a half million in the bank. He lived out his retirement at the crap tables in Las Vegas.

Over the last 40 years I watched everything my grandparents generation fought and worked for get systematically destroyed. This country was built on the backs of our grandparents and the rich stripped everything they could for themselves. They want to live the American dream but they think they don't have any responsibility to the country which allows them to do so.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Your grandfather probably worked 30-40 years at Chrysler. With his education probably on the assembly line. Kept his job. Saved his money. Retired with wealth. Guess what? Car companies are still hiring. They are still paying out pensions. What do you think has changed? Millennials don't want that job. They'd rather go $60k in debt with a liberal arts degree in god knows what and then thumb their nose at the job your grandfather did for 30+ years.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
If it makes you feel better they hate anybody over 40 anyway. Till they get there and then ??????

Friends retired last summer good savings and such. 2 Kids at home 34 and 40 living the life. House sold in 3 weeks parents packed up in a motorhome and the kids have been trying to figure out how to catch up with them since. 2 weeks here 2 weeks there keep moving.

I'm in the market for a house that has a guest house, what I found out is they are now calling the guest house a millennial housing or millennial living area.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Your grandfather probably worked 30-40 years at Chrysler. With his education probably on the assembly line. Kept his job. Saved his money. Retired with wealth. Guess what? Car companies are still hiring. They are still paying out pensions. What do you think has changed? Millennials don't want that job. They'd rather go $60k in debt with a liberal arts degree in god knows what and then thumb their nose at the job your grandfather did for 30+ years.
BS I know a lot of millennials that would jump at a chance to work for Crystler. Since the 1980's most of the automotive industry has been automated. A lot of auto plants have moved to Mexico and Canada. Crystler GM and Ford have lottery drawings for workers to get their family member in. Anyone they hire from the outside usually has to pass a IQ test and standards are really high.

There is a trillion dollars in student loan debt out there. A lot of millennials were told they needed those useless collage degrees. Now their stuck in debt that they can't walk away from.

I'm from Detroit and staring in the early 2000's I watched entire industrial complexes disappear over night. I'm not talking about the burned out factories from the 1950's of the inner city. The entire Detroit metro area was full of factory jobs. Anyone out of high school in 90's could get a job making $16 an hour within a couple years of training. If they were any good they could make a living at $20-$25 an hour.

I worked in these factories myself. I was out applying for work as the jobs disappeared. I drive by these empty factories every day which still have for sale signs on them. There hundreds if not thousands of empty factors in the area.
edit on 15-12-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is an engineered program,the result of public school system,they have been taught things that are irrelevant to care for ones self,they pushed reliance on govt,not by family unit,so what the milleniums are are the new slave,endentured servants,when the govt goes broke,these student loans have a guarenteed signature,you'll pay for all that free stuff when your working for government,fed your alloted meal,much like jail,then all laws regarding labor go out window,in the meantime,ones living off the grid it's another Tuesday,don't render yourself extinct,age will do that for you

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Uh, no.......it REALLY is too late. You just can't quite see it coming.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Yes, they all left Detroit. Can you blame them? If workers are sitting around Detroit complaining there are no jobs there is an easy solution. Move! I just checked Indeed and Indiana has about 300 full time automotive industry jobs available. The smallish town I live in Indiana there are not enough applicants available for all the jobs that need filled. There was an article written about it in a Fort Wayne paper. Companies are offering housing, relocation packages, etc. but are still having a hard time finding people who want jobs. Gen X parents are retiring and nobody is willing to replace them.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

They're replacing 'Tenured' senior workers with 'Junior' workers doing the same job but at half the wages and no pension. Apples to apples eh?

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Yes, they all left Detroit. Can you blame them? If workers are sitting around Detroit complaining there are no jobs there is an easy solution. Move! I just checked Indeed and Indiana has about 300 full time automotive industry jobs available. The smallish town I live in Indiana there are not enough applicants available for all the jobs that need filled. There was an article written about it in a Fort Wayne paper. Companies are offering housing, relocation packages, etc. but are still having a hard time finding people who want jobs. Gen X parents are retiring and nobody is willing to replace them.
Yeah thats it thousands of jobs they just moved to other states. I have better things to do then argue with someone that doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm sure no matter what I say you'll have a rebuttal. You win.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Chrysler.

That is how you spell it.

The US is not creating people who want to be factory workers, general laborers, machinist, welders, plumbers, car mechanics....and so on. There are jobs in these fields. However, those jobs are not ATTRACTIVE to the newer generation. It has left a huge hole in the labor force. Some states are starting to recreate these jobs and training programs.

All money spends the same.

“We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Those jobs just don't pay well enough anymore to attract talent.

Oh its the young generation that are lazy!

Yea sure.. Maybe try upping the pay scale to something reasonable to start... Something you can pay your car insurance rent and food with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join