It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Associate Professor Of Astronomy And Astrophysics: Oumuamua Could Be An Alien "Von Neumann" Probe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: coursecatalog

There is no reason to assume that any species which might have launched an object like this, has been long since dead. None at all.

So how are you arriving at the conclusion that this piece of cosmic debris, is likely to be from an extinct species?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Because we can't fathom a civilisation at this technologic level still existing for millions of years. The object had been tumbling for a long time

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think the poster was referring to managed disclosure and that you are missing the point.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

That's not what I said. I am merely pointing out that a first major step in ultimate Disclosure would be better served by finding an object from a long dead civilization than a live ship full of aliens. It allows people to become comfortable with the idea without the kind of panic live contact would cause.

Ideallty you would want a Disclosure that slowly moves forward with:

1. Discovery of potential life-sustaining planets similar to earth.
2. Announcement of some kind of microbial alien life somewhere in the solar system.
3. Discovery of an ancient relic from a long dead advanced civilization.

And then proceeds from there. Just my opinion of course.

edit on 14-12-2017 by coursecatalog because: typos

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think it is all becoming highly speculative. Fine I suppose if the only idea of what it actually looks like would be that much circulated, 'Artists impression' but there was a grainy very small picture somewhere that is hard to compare with the artistic rendering. It seems there's no doubt that it is a fast mover though.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That makes sense, I just think it would be impossible to legitimately pull off in that precise order. For one thing, proofs and evidence of these things are hardly likely to appear in that order, because it is not in the nature of the universe, to present itself in an order which makes sense to us.

And because those proofs and evidences are unlikely to appear in order, it is unlikely that keeping them quiet would be possible either.

I understand where you are coming from, I just think that there are too many variables and lips to seal up, in order to make it possible for the information to be controlled in terms of either a schedule of release, or indeed an order of release/discovery.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

If the light has reached us, so too have all other forms of electromagnetic radiation as they all travel the same speed. If there is EM radiation, that's possibly the big announcement due today

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

Fair point...

But look at it from another perspective... perhaps only a species capable of surviving that long, could have made a probe of this nature?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

My only problem with the “alien probe” theory is why would they put it on a trajectory to enter our solar system and fly right back out like it is doing? Sorry guys it is a rock.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

Because we can't fathom a civilisation at this technologic level still existing for millions of years. The object had been tumbling for a long time

This is a fair point. However, let me propose this. (straight out of sci-fi imagination)

What if it has only been "tumbling" for a short time. Let's for a second assume it "jumped out of hyperspace". This could mean it's not as old as we'd perceive it to be. Our inherent flaw is that we base all civilizations and technology on what we currently understand. Even if an alien civilization is the same "age" as us, doesn't mean they evolved through science at the same rate. They could be still using sticks and stones or some kind of tech that would melt our minds if we tried to understand it

(i know it doesn't explain the "tumble" but that's a rabbit hole in my own head lol)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

That's along my line of reasoning and at least you have the sense to relate this as just an opinion and not a set-in-stone fact, that some members seem to believe it is their divine right to do so and have the rest of us bow down to their apparent superior knowledge.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

My only problem with the “alien probe” theory is why would they put it on a trajectory to enter our solar system and fly right back out like it is doing? Sorry guys it is a rock.

It probably is, but what I find interesting though is the transparancy these days when it comes to stuff like this. If it's pure for commercial reasons, so be it ...

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

Good point, but the scientist stated that if this is an alien probe, its engines are no longer functioning, which caused it to tumble. Its current velocity could be the result of the thrust of its engines before they malfunctioned and any type of "slingshot" effect it has encountered on its journey.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It would make a great basis for a sci-fi novel. Similar things have been done in the past; Rendezvous with Rama.

Fleets of alien evacuation colony ships are sent out across the universe in all directions as the local star begins to become a red giant. The path of one ship intersects that of a orphan neutron star. The resulting radiation melts the outer layers of the ship leaving a dead husk traveling and tumbling through space. Through it's journey through dozens of solar systems, it collects a layer of rock and ice dust until it crosses the solar system.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
Let's go nano-tech companies... get your sh!t together already! WE MUST SPREAD OUR SEED!!!

We can already do that to Venus, if we wanted to. We certainly have the ability to launch a rocket filled with bacteria and viruses (just pack it full of used handkerchiefs) and have that stuff released by parachute into the Venusian atmosphere. If we want to get tricky, we can send some genetically modified bugs to eat sulphur and CO2 and release water. Anyway, we could figure out a way to poison Venus relatively inexpensively, with the added bonus of having our old germs float around in the atmosphere, breed, and make enough water to eventually terraform the planet to something a little more hospitable. Or evolve after a few billion years to build spaceships of their own.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
And it could be a carriage for space gnomes, too... but it IS thought provoking.

I still get a smile from the guys looking for radio signals to indicate the existence of et civilizations, though, and that they're scanning this thing for them.

I know it's all we know to look for at this moment, but I'm pretty certain that real high tech interstellar communication would be either psi-based or quantum entanglement based, or better yet, something we don't have the slightest glimmer of, yet.

The speed of light is S L O W when universal distance, or even solar system scale, is approached.

But this thingy IS weird as heck in shape and trajectory. I'm hoping it will start slowing and loop back to Earth... and then this site and the planet will melt down, heh.

As for this being a part of a planned "disclosure" ... well, microbes on Mars would've been more low key for the dolts they're supposedly shielding from meltdowns. We had very good evidence for them, twice or thrice, and still shied away from any "premature" conjecture.

Well, better than burning anyone flying their fancy around the subject, I guess.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Does anyone have a theory on how this object got its speed? That's incredibly fast. What's the speed of Voyager 1 and 2?

Going on a limb here, but IF it is a probe, maybe the designers make it shut down during travel (tumbles because who cares or to keep it camouflaged as a asteroid) then wakes up when it nears planets of interest?

I don't know but I find this object pretty interesting.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
I think it is all becoming highly speculative.

But that's the only thing we're good at!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Ok, but it already passed by earth and is on its way back out of our solar system, so much for the theory of it "waking up" near a planet of interest

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

That assumes that it has to do anything to make recordings of what is happening in a given solar system...

Theres no reason we would know anything at all of its making observation of our planet, especially if the technology on board is highly advanced, beyond our current grasp scientifically speaking.

That being said, there is absolutely no reason I can think of, to assume that this object was anything other than a piece of space debris with a high metallic content and an interesting shape to it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join