It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Associate Professor Of Astronomy And Astrophysics: Oumuamua Could Be An Alien "Von Neumann" Probe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
For those who think this asteroid "could" be an alien craft of some kind, don't give up all hope. An associate professor from Penn State, Dr Jason Wright, suggests a craft with no propulsion system, shaped like Oumuamua, would tumble just like a interstellar comet.

Dr Jason Wright from Penn State University suggests that a broken alien spacecraft would move in exactly the same way as the interstellar comet, according to the Daily Mail.

Writing in his blog, Wright, an associate professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Penn State University, says: "Such derelict craft would, if they are not travelling so fast that they escape the Galaxy, eventually "thermalise" with the stars and end up drifting around like any other interstellar comet or asteroid.

"In fact, since they [presumably] no longer have attitude control, one would expect that they would eventually begin to tumble, and if they are very rigid that tumbling might distinguish them from ordinary interstellar asteroids… and in fact, just because their propulsion is broken doesn't mean that their radio transmitters would be broken."

Wright suggests that the object could be a "Von Neumann probe" - a theoretical self-replicating spacecraft that visits star systems. He added: "Such a discovery would imply that there are lots of these things in the solar system at any given moment [even if they are deliberately targeting the sun, they are hard to spot and we'll miss most of them], and so lots of opportunities to study them."

www.nzherald.co.nz...

So what's a "Von Neumann Probe?" Let Michio Kaku explain it to you:

Well, hopefully later today, we'll have some results on the scan using the world's largest directable radio telescope.

His latest comments come ahead of a project later today in which scientists will use high-tech scanners to discover if Oumuamua was sent by an alien civilisation. The team of scientists, called Breakthrough Listen, will use the world's largest directable radio telescope, at Green Bank in West Virginia, to follow it for 10 hours today at 3pm ET

www.nzherald.co.nz...

How many of you think that the government will step in if it turns out that Oumuamua is sending electromagnetic signals?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

While I certainly applaud the act of listening to this object in the RF spectrum, the problem lies in that if nothing is heard, doesn't actually prove anything.

A derelict spacecraft or probe will sound just like a natural asteroid: nothing being transmitted. You'd get the same results if you pointed your radio telescope at a rock or a radio station that has no power.

The best thing would have been to known it was coming and had something in it's path to take high resolution images of (plus other data gathering instruments).

Oumuamua does leave us with a lot of questions though that make us raise our eyebrows. Here's a video put out by futurist and scifi author John Michael Godier just the other day talking about them listening in on Oumuamua and talking about the rather strange things about it:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You ask a particular question at the end of your post, and I think it is important to answer it, not because the information contained within the answer is interesting, but because it is nonetheless important.

You ask:

How many of you think that the government will step in if it turns out that Oumuamua is sending electromagnetic signals?

The answer, the only correct one is:

It does not matter what the opinion polls on this suggest, because no government on this Earth, or body comprised of representatives of many territories from the face of the world, has the power to do any damned thing what so ever, to stop the object, reach it, or interfere with any signalling that might be occurring.

The reasons I say this, are as follows.

1) At a peak speed of 196,000 mph, this object is far too fast for any spacecraft of which I am aware, to catch up with it, or a projectile to reach it in order to destroy it. Laser light could reach it, but there is, as far as I am aware, no laser powerful enough, with a tight enough beam, to be weaponised at the range necessary to damage the object concerned.

2) The signals it has already sent, having sped by our planet, will already be well on their way to their destination, about which we can do absolutely nothing.

3) We lack the technological sophistication to jam those signals, even if we had some how gotten forewarning of the objects capacity to send something.

So, in essence, what I am saying is that there is absolutely no reason that the government would "step in", there is no situation for them to step in to, because they have no power or agency in the matter at all. Their planes cannot reach it to bomb the source of the signal (assuming there is any signal at all), their warships cannot touch it with their nuclear weapons. The strongest rocketry and space craft we have, with the most advanced engines we can devise, will NEVER catch up to this thing. Governments therefore, have no power in the scenario, any more than they do to switch off the sun, or alter the orbit of Mars.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I'll simply respond to remind people that when both pulsars and quasars were independently discovered astronomers did not release the data because they thought that they were alien signals. After a few months, I think it took two years on the quasar's issue, they had an alternative explanations that they sold to the public. Whether either of those are actually the truth, we innocents cannot know. There are so many secrets today, the dam is bound to burst at some point before they are really ready.

So are we ready to learn that life is out there and that is a dead ship that failed at some point in its voyage and has presented to us as a safe way to get into such a mindset of sharing the cosmos? Maybe. The odds of a natural asteroid being of that unusual shape, like a ship, coming from somewhere and coming in close to Earth, as it has done, is about as great as it being an actual, alive or dead, spaceship.

Keep in mind that there are other mysteries closer to home. The UFOs are still uninvestigated, unacknowledged and remain mysterious as far as our governments are concerned.

It makes for a great false flag incident, doesn't it?
edit on 14-12-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I read a book earlier this year that started out with this exact situation.

The object ended up being a starship docking with a previously unknown space station in orbit around Neptune I think.

Good book, can't remember the title.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Is it not going too slowly to be an advanced alien probe though?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

There are some "Depends" to answer that question:

1) If it is artificial, the beings that made it may have a different concept of time, and getting some place fast was not important.

2) It may still be artificial, but was never meant to travel interstellar distances. It was something in orbit around another star and ended up ejected from that system.

3) It may have had much more speed before it got here, but was slowed down by some interstellar medium, or by a stellar object.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The 100-year starship concept is AWESOME.

I'm onboard with whatever Kaku wants to do.

Let's go nano-tech companies... get your sh!t together already! WE MUST SPREAD OUR SEED!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

You could say that if you went by the velocity it now displays. To come from another star at near that velocity would take millions and millions of years. An interstellar spaceship would have a method to move much faster between stars. Once near the visited star it would alter its velocity to what was desired, maybe even to stop and hover. Or it may take up an orbit. This object could be a natural body that has been fashioned into a habitat for a space-traveling race. If a natural body, its shape, at least by earthly standards, would be somewhat fragile and it captain would not approach too closely to the sun as the the sun's gravity could cause it to shatter as supposedly happens to many comets as they come in to the sun.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The speed and amount of time a "fly-by" to profile or study something depends on the mission and technological capability.

If this is an artificial probe or ship sent by an advance space-faring civilization, then the technology they posses is incomparable and greater than our current scientific and technological knowledge.

edit on 14-12-2017 by xconvoyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I've seen a "artist's rendition" video of the object showing that it tumbling end over end. That would not be a likely way for a needle ship to travel and we don't know if that is its true rotation. Early reports said that it was rotating once about every eight hours. if the object is traveling lengthways, like a rocket and turning around its center, then that is indicative of something artificial even if the body is that of an elongated asteroid. But if tumbling, end for end, with a length to width ratio such as it has, it would seem that it would not remain structurally sound for millions and millions of years due to internal stresses. So that would be another puzzle. In truth, if it is a inert lump of asteroidal material, that is another puzzle of how it was formed according to our standards. Finally, if a natural asteroid of common materials, it should probably break up at some point as we have it under observation.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

What I meant was...If the upcoming scan detects electromagnetic signals, proving the object is in fact an alien craft, would the government suppress this information? Would they want the general public to know that we're not alone in the universe and that this massive object is extraterrestrial in origin.
edit on 12/14/2017 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

adding because its relevant , my post from the "disclosure this week" thread on ATS from Peeple

when Forgotten languages are discussing it its usually interesting and UFO related

Coincidence

i think not

Forgotten Languages dicuss Oumuamua

"We know what 'Oumuamua really is just because we have detected other Denebian probes in the past. We already know embedding a beacon inside a rock is the best way to withstand the extreme environmental conditions of outter space. 'Oumuaumua comes exactly from the same region from where all Denebian probes are known to come. It has the same features we see in all other Denebian probes. But unlike what we have seen in the past, its flyby near the main Denebian swarm did not trigger a realignment of the other probes. This tells us that, for some reason, 'Oumuamua was either not intended to join the swarm or was experiencing a malfunction."

edit on 14-12-2017 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Perhaps the probe did not slow down as it gathered information on how damn awful humans are on the way in ? Gathering information from 100 light years out ? 100 years of wars, famine, humans raping their own planet, doing their damnedest to try and blow it up, who would want to stop and visit ?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

You ask a particular question at the end of your post, and I think it is important to answer it, not because the information contained within the answer is interesting, but because it is nonetheless important.

You ask:

The answer, the only correct one is:

It does not matter what the opinion polls on this suggest, because no government on this Earth, or body comprised of representatives of many territories from the face of the world, has the power to do any damned thing what so ever, to stop the object, reach it, or interfere with any signalling that might be occurring.

The reasons I say this, are as follows.

1) At a peak speed of 196,000 mph, this object is far too fast for any spacecraft of which I am aware, to catch up with it, or a projectile to reach it in order to destroy it. Laser light could reach it, but there is, as far as I am aware, no laser powerful enough, with a tight enough beam, to be weaponised at the range necessary to damage the object concerned.

2) The signals it has already sent, having sped by our planet, will already be well on their way to their destination, about which we can do absolutely nothing.

3) We lack the technological sophistication to jam those signals, even if we had some how gotten forewarning of the objects capacity to send something.

So, in essence, what I am saying is that there is absolutely no reason that the government would "step in", there is no situation for them to step in to, because they have no power or agency in the matter at all. Their planes cannot reach it to bomb the source of the signal (assuming there is any signal at all), their warships cannot touch it with their nuclear weapons. The strongest rocketry and space craft we have, with the most advanced engines we can devise, will NEVER catch up to this thing. Governments therefore, have no power in the scenario, any more than they do to switch off the sun, or alter the orbit of Mars.

When the OP said "step in" I think you read WAY TOO MUCH into it. I think the OP simply meant damage control and not letting the public know the truth.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
a reply to: TrueBrit

What I meant was...If the upcoming scan detects electromagnetic signals, proving the object is in fact an alien craft, would the government suppress this information? Would they want the general public to know that we're not alone in the universe and that this massive object is extraterrestrial in origin.

There is a huge difference between knowing we a re not alone in the cosmos and being under the threat of an imminent alien invasion. We should hope the powers that be also realize this.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Count my vote. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already twisted arms a thousand times in the scientific community. Or maybe this is IT....Soft Disclosure getting hard, fast.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Well, I think the real question is, in that specific regard, is would any one government be ABLE to suppress that information?

Astronomy is a field strewn with stalwart sharers of information, persons whose psychopathology lends itself to silence, about as readily as fire does to an anaerobic environment. Sure, its POSSIBLE, but its a damned sight harder to burn something without oxygen being present.

The same applies to astronomers when it comes to silence. Its not in their nature to keep things under wraps for any reason, unless it is to ensure the accuracy of a potential public statement. Many of them share character traits that mean they honestly do not care what governments want, or whether they have signed NDAs or been made party to the Official Secrets Act of a given nation, or whatever passes therefore in the region involved. They, rightly, believe the science to be more important than the consequences to themselves, of actually revealing important information, more often than not.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm going to throw something out here:

We are never going to detect anything.

Intelligent life that is advanced enough to traverse the universe/galaxy isnt going to be using any sort of radio transmission. Evolution of technology, my friends.....

Think of it this way - if we put ourselves on the technological scale that interstellar travelers would be, it would be like us traveling through space with our current tech level, and having a bunch of Pigmies searching the stars for smoke signals to try and communicate with us.

We're trying to detect technology and life using signs and science that these intergalactic beings theoretically (and extremely probably) haven't used in thousands of years. I hate to burst our bubble of hope, but let's be serious.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A slow, steady managed Disclosure process would ideally include the discovery of an alien artifact of a long-dead civilization such as this type of runaway dormant ship. It's much less alarming than something from a live civilization. It allows a gradual acceptance of life elsewhere without the immediate fears of invasion or contact.

I'm not saying that is what this object is, just that we can expect a discovery such as that as a signpost on the road to full Disclosure.

edit on 14-12-2017 by coursecatalog because: Clarity

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join