It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Warns U.S. Not to Play with Nuclear 'Fire'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Following Iran's rejection of a European demand to stop building a heavy water nuclear reactor in return for a light-water reactor on Sunday, according to the following news source Iran made a very bold warning to the United States "We have clearly told the Europeans to tell the Americans not to play with fire." It seems that despite all efforts on the diplomatic fronts Iran and the west seem headed toward a broader conflict over the nuclear issue as is indicated in the tone of Iran's warnings.

Yahoo/Reuters Full Article Link

Iran warned the United States on Sunday not to attack its nuclear facilities and said talks with Europe might produce a deal to defuse the dispute over its alleged covert ambitions to build atomic weapons.

They know our capabilities. We have clearly told the Europeans to tell the Americans not to play with fire," Iranian spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told a news briefing in Tehran, referring to Washington's refusal to rule out the use of force.

Germany, however, warned that Iran could be referred to the U.N. Security Council for its nuclear activities -- a toughening of the European line that narrows a rift between Europe and Washington which Iran has tried for months to exploit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After having seen many months of talks and possible peacful resolution on these "dangerous" nuclear issues with Iran, one can only wonder how many options there are left before the final option "military strikes" will be pushed to the front.

One thing is painfully clear, Iran will not back down from what it claimes is a peacful nuclear program meant to produce energy only. And they do not seem to feel any threat from the U.S.A. over this matter.

By pushing ahead with building and activating these nuclear power plants how long will it be before we are faced with military confrontation?

Related News:

Iran Rejects European Demand on Reactor

Officials debate spying history in Iran

Related ATS Discussion:

POLITICS: Iran Snubs European Efforts To Resolve Nuke Issue

[edit on 13-2-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well I will predict...............predict.................the nuclear holocaust by the middle of...................June.

I will not be able to celebrate my birthday in peace, darn those Iranians.

Yes, US will strike in another reckless empty strike to another sovereign country.

Any body out there wants to get into the bet.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Actually,

If Iran really starts to look like a threat I'm guessing Israel will do the same thing they did to Iraq and blow up their facilities. I wonder what would happen if they did. Any scenarios? Iraq obviously won't attack them (Israel) at least not yet, Egypt wouldn't dare since they have the gaping security risk of the Anwar Dam. What would prevent Israel either on their own accord or under U.S from doing it?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jukyu

If Iran really starts to look like a threat I'm guessing Israel will do the same thing they did to Iraq and blow up their facilities. I wonder what would happen if they did. Any scenarios?

I think many people make the mistake of assuming that Iran is just another Iraq, I believe Iran is much better able to defend itself than Iraq was. If Israel was to strike these facilities I believe Iran's retaliation though perhaps suicidal would be much worse than anyone wants to imagine at this point. Either way the U.S.A. will be forced to step in and I can only imagine the impact of that on our military.

I imagine that the U.S. government has advised Israel to stay out of it for now. But you never know.

Never underestimate the enemy.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well I will predict...............predict.................the nuclear holocaust by the middle of...................June.

I will not be able to celebrate my birthday in peace, darn those Iranians.

Yes, US will strike in another reckless empty strike to another sovereign country.

Any body out there wants to get into the bet.

I'll see your wager and I'll double it. There will be no nuclear holocaust, so buy the party hats and decorations your little special day will go off without a hitch.
If anything look for Israel to make the strike, backed by American intel. The thing that does worry me though is all the sweet talk between North Korea and Iran. Could this be the reason for Iran's bold statements? Is NK telling Iran we'll back you up if anything happens? Everybody sit back and watch, cause it's about to get very interesting.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cebu
The thing that does worry me though is all the sweet talk between North Korea and Iran. Could this be the reason for Iran's bold statements? Is NK telling Iran we'll back you up if anything happens? Everybody sit back and watch, cause it's about to get very interesting.

Hey it was just a joke, any way your are right it will not really be a nuclear holocaust that will impact us per say.

Now I still think that the assault will be by the summer, it was a leak in the NY times remember

Now we just will have to sit and wait, like Gazz said Iran is not Iraq, they have a steady structural government, their majority citizens backs their leaders, and they have a heck more people than Iraq.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Now I still think that the assault will be by the summer, it was a leak in the NY times remember

Come on Marg the NY times are not oracles or seers, and highly unlikely to have access to highly restricted military intel.
They can report what they want to report, but they don't really know, just like you and I. I'll take that as another little jest on your part. Keep them coming, it's 8:30am here in the Philippines and my day is just starting full of laughter...

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Why would Iran be harder to attack through the air than Iraq? There's no difference here then with Iraq during the 80's...Except that Iraq actually had some of the best air defenses in the world...

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
Why would Iran be harder to attack through the air than Iraq? There's no difference here then with Iraq during the 80's...Except that Iraq actually had some of the best air defenses in the world...

This is what I mean, Iran is much more able to defend itself, For many years they have with assistance from Russia built quite a good defence system and they are very able to retaliate. I am speculating but it is possible that even if it is the U.S.A. that launches pre-emptive strikes in Iran they would retaliate against Israel. That could explode into an all out arab israeli war.. something many have feared for a long time.

I am hoping that Iran is only making empty threats.. If it comes to military conflict there is no doubt it will be nothing like what you've seen in Iraq. Other than maybe the air strikes. Iran is rumored to have a very good air defence system.. Only time will tell on that.

I think the U.S.A. is trapped by its tough stance with Iran and having named Iran in an axis of evil could have given Iran cause to go after all means to defend itself against any U.S. or Israeli attacks.

We can only hope this has some peaceful resolution.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

This is what I mean, Iran is much more able to defend itself, For many years they have with assistance from Russia built quite a good defence system and they are very able to retaliate. I am speulating but it is possible that even if it is the U.S.A. that launches pre-emptive strikes in Iran they would retaliate against Israel. That could explode into an all out arab israeli war.. something many have feared for a long time.

Iraq's air defenses were built by the Russians, as well. They had the best of Russian SAM's. They had Russian equipment. During the Iraq War, there defenses were set up personally by the Chinese.

Iran, on the other hand, does not have much in the terms of air defenses. They may have the S-300, but in very limited number. This was supposed to be given to the Iraqis as well as the Serbs, though. The rumor doesn't have much value.

They certainly have nothing that can stop America's stealth bombers, though.

I am hoping that Iran is only making empty threats.. If it comes to military conflict there is no doubt it will be nothing like what you've seen in Iraq. Other than maybe the air strikes. Iran is rumored to have a very good air defence system.. Only time will tell on that.

It will be something between the Gulf War and the second Iraq War. Iran has far fewer EVERYTHING compared to what Iraq had during the Gulf War. They aren't quite as bad as Iraq today after sanctions in terms of quality, but they don't have that greater of numbers. Really, most of what they have is slightly better then Gulf War Iraq, such as tanks, or worse, such as in air defenses.

Iran does not have offensive capabilities, though. They could not launch a ground war. I doubt Iran's missiles are all that deadly, either. Iraq's Scud missiles were feared, but they were pretty ineffective. The PAC-3 and Arrow-2 should be capable of dealing with most, if not all of what Iran launches at Israel or American troops.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

I think the U.S.A. is trapped by its tough stance with Iran and having named Iran in an axis of evil could have given Iran cause to go after all means to defend itself against any U.S. or Israeli attacks.

We can only hope this has some peaceful resolution.

Time for the USA to take the high road, IMO. There is no shame in it - and far more glory than in orchestrating holocausts.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Iran does not have offensive capabilities, though. They could not launch a ground war. I doubt Iran's missiles are all that deadly, either. Iraq's Scud missiles were feared, but they were pretty ineffective. The PAC-3 and Arrow-2 should be capable of dealing with most, if not all of what Iran launches at Israel or American troops.

Again I'll only say this.

Do not underestimate this enemy!

Only time will show us one way or the other.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

We have clearly told the Europeans to tell the Americans not to play with fire

This would be funny if it weren't so tragic. This is the language of schoolchildren relaying messages on a large playground.

"I told Richard to tell Bill that he better not touch my stuff."

The kabuki play of geopolitic marches forward. Surprising anyone still believes this is actually happening by accident. The Bushehr reactor was planned all through Slick Willies' administration and now everyone's saying, "What's going on?!"

Russia has long been planning more reactors in Iran and have pledged to provide uranium for the process. Yet Putin is never mentioned in all this jibber-jabber about Iran and nukes.

Tell me again how the Cold War is over?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Time for the USA to take the high road, IMO. There is no shame in it - and far more glory than in orchestrating holocausts.

I guess the high road is allowing Iran to orchestrate a nuclear holocaust?

Seriously though, what would be more destabilizing? Allowing Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon and make a first strike against Israel or the U.S. taking them out first? Opinions?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Seriously though, what would be more destabilizing? Allowing Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon and make a first strike against Israel or the U.S. taking them out first? Opinions?

That is what makes this whole situation seem so much worse now. If you really look at it in the most simple terms we are damned if we do and damned if we don't!

What can we expect if we do nothing?

What can we expect if we take out the nuclear threat?

What other options are there?

It seems like diplomacy has failed so really what else can be done?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Do not underestimate this enemy!

I'm not underestimating anyone. I'm giving a realistic picture of the situation. America and its allies are the only ones who are constantly being underestimated. People said the same things you're saying about Iran about Iraq.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Well Gazz, remember something, Iran, NK, China, India, Russia, Israel, they will do the same thing that US will do if let say Iran or NK tells US that needs to stop his nuclear program and dismantle their nuclear plants.

US will said "HELLLLL NOOOO" simple.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I'm not underestimating anyone. I'm giving a realistic picture of the situation. America and its allies are the only ones who are constantly being underestimated. People said the same things you're saying about Iran about Iraq.

Well since we are being 'realistic' Then lets go with knowns and we really know far less about Iran's cababilities than we should so go ahead.. Have a look..

CRS Report for Congress

Iran 's Developing Military Capabilities

Again it is the unknowns that always get you.

And again I say never underestimate the enemy.

Gazz

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've said it before and i'll say it again...

Iran's biggest goal is to absolutely DESTROY israel. Nothing more, nothing less. They're making nuclear facilities for "peaceful purposes", yet they tell Washington not to "play with fire"? What the hell? The Iranian government better just give up their nuclear ambitions on their own time, b/c if they don't their hard work and money will be wasted when Israeli/US bombers destroy their facilities. The Iranians do not scare the USA, no one in the world does (except for China and maybe Russia).

I'm not a war-mongerer, but the fact of the matter is that a nuclear Iran makes the middle east even more unstable than it already is. We all know that the younger Iranian generation leans more to the West, and eventually there COULD be a revolution. Who's to say that, if a revolution is started and the current Iranian government is about to be defeated, they wouldn't just nuke Israel in a last ditch effort to go down in history?

It's my humble opinion that the US and Israel should gather viable intelligence, strike the Iranian nuclear facilities, then help to create an iranian revolution to overthrow the current government to set up a peaceful democracy in Iran. I do not live in Iran, but from what i read, they have an old government and the youth of the nation are tired of their backwards ways.

I believe airstrikes will begin occurring around july or august of 2005, b/c right now we are gathering all the evidence we need to take out the nuke facilities. I just hope and wish that our pre-war analysis is more correct than Iraq. I think it will be, b/c i think Bush learned his lesson the last time.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwintz
I believe airstrikes will begin occurring around july or august of 2005, b/c right now we are gathering all the evidence we need to take out the nuke facilities. I just hope and wish that our pre-war analysis is more correct than Iraq. I think it will be, b/c i think Bush learned his lesson the last time.

I hope you are wrong but fear you may be very close to being right here.

I think this crisis with Iran could have a bad ending for all if things continue down this road.

Israel has made it more than clear in several ways to the whole world and to Iran.. They will NOT let Iran bring the heavy water reactor online.. With or without U.S. or international support they will "act to defend Israel at any and all costs"

That is why there has been such strong pressure by the EU on Iran, because everyone knows what is at stake here.

If Israel takes action alone we will have no choice.. we'll be involved like it or not.. and the only way to stop Israel is to strike first with U.S. military to "remove the nuclear threat in Iran".

Again like I said before.. damned if we do and damned if we don't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join