It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how long of a life do you think is fair or ideal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm going to live forever.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I have threatened to live until about 100 and I want to go out in style, in bed with a bottle of champagne an a couple of young Nymphomaniacs.

Give an old guy his dreams.

After reading that I have to set my sites higher!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Sadly we live in a world where people think you're a lazy, whiny, useless, eater if you think there's more to life and human potential than the daily grind.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Quality is more I'm important than quantity.

Better to die at 40 surrounded by friends and family than to die at 100 and nobody misses you.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Indrasweb

Sadly we live in a world where people think you're a lazy, whiny, useless, eater if you think there's more to life and human potential than the daily grind.

You are a "lazy, whiny, useless eater"... apparently.

I lose my job and the bank takes my cushy little apartmemt, if I'd dare to have some potential beyond the so called "daily grind".... lol.

edit on 13-12-2017 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I don't know what "fairness" has to do with it, but as far as ideal: As long as you are healthy and active, which differs with the individual. Historically the average life expectancy of humans has been 28. That's it. During those hard times by that age you were old, unattractive, and probably a burden to society. These days one might want to double that original number, but after that it gets kind of iffy. Of course a lot of people profess to want to live longer, but I'm not so sure. If everyone knew, for certain, that their personalities survived death, I'm not so sure they would be so keen on living longer.
edit on 12/13/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
My answer is simple... whenever you've had enough.
There may come a point for each of us where life's challenges become too much to bear.
One poster mentioned not being able to go to the bathroom by themselves as a criterion.
Poor health, lack of available care, debilitating chronic pain - there are many limiting factors.
Lacking a purpose, or the ability to fortify the mind and constructively cognate - psychological distress kills.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

283 is the new 197.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I don't know, interesting question.
I suppose I am jaded towards a specific age being the 'fair' or 'ideal' number.
When my Mother passed, everyone after everyone said to me "She has lived a long life, full and rich" as if THAT made her death okay, expected or to make me feel as if I should have anticipated it or been more prepared.
My Mother was 93 when she passed and although had suffered many physical ailments since childhood was one of the toughest women that I had ever met. It was a sudden and unexpected illness and sudden and unexpected death. It came knocking and there was no defense. She fought up until nearly the end.
She still sat by the lake fishing, played games with the kiddos when they were home, made sure to instruct me on every 'wrong' I did in the kitchen and called me at work every day just to talk.
Her time here was NOT long enough!
Her grandchildren and I still needed her!
We need her today.

I think if I died today, I would not feel as if I had done enough but my kiddos would be financially secure and I would feel that I had done what I was supposed to do, what I was created to do.
I think I would feel ready.
I think I may would welcome it.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Nickn3
I have threatened to live until about 100 and I want to go out in style, in bed with a bottle of champagne an a couple of young Nymphomaniacs.

Give an old guy his dreams.

After reading that I have to set my sites higher!

It's nice to dream, just don't screw with karma.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Loved your answer by the way!!!
Cracked me up.
Thanks for that!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

It’s a bit of a paradox, apparently, and little to do with your assertion.

People report being happiest at 2 points in life: according to 23,000 Germans, ages of 23 and 69 (11 years older than twice 28 [because it gets kinda “iffy” at 56] — and please source 28 was the ‘historical life expectancy’) are the reported happiest years to be alive.

23 and 69: what an age(s) to be alive

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Quality of life is typically more important than length of life.

If you could live for 600 years but were imprisoned the whole time or stuck in "bonded labor" virtual slavery, it would suck. Contrast that with only living 40 years, but being incredibly rich and getting to visit every country, eat every food dish, marry or mate with all of the people of your choosing, have your offspring placed in great situations, have the resources to go into outer space onto the ISS, socialize with the global celebs and powerbrokers of your choosing, etc. Most people would probably choose the shorter but more free life than the longer but oppressed one.

However, I would prefer to live for several millennia or more, but only if my body continued functioning like it is right now. As in, I don't want to be 75yrs old and feel like a typical 75 year older. Getting older than that would likely feel horrible, especially once you get into the 100+ range. Anything beyond 160yrs old would probably feel like a demented lunatic trapped in a barely functioning body/prison. Anyway, I would need at least several thousand years to complete all of my life goals, and even then, I'd likely think up even grander goals to accomplish.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

It’s a bit of a paradox, apparently, and little to do with your assertion.

People report being happiest at 2 points in life: according to 23,000 Germans, ages of 23 and 69 (11 years older than twice 28 [because it gets kinda “iffy” at 56] — and please source 28 was the ‘historical life expectancy’) are the reported happiest years to be alive.

You need to practice reading comprehension. I don't care about what your Germans reported. That wasn't the point. The point was the average life expectancy. So you want me to do your research for you, eh? OK. According to historical mortality levels from the "Encyclopaedia of Population" (2003), average life expectancy for prehistoric humans was estimated at just 20 – 35 years; 28 is right in the middle of that. I'm speaking of the last million years, btw, not recently, and even if you do that, according to "Our Word in Data" "A century ago life expectancy in India and South Korea was as low as 23 years." So I think the accuracy of my original statement is pretty well settled. Only in the last century has life expectancy risen rapidly because, of course. of modern medicine, particularly dentistry. (Do you want me to cite sources for that, too, or are you wiling to attempt to handle that yourself?)

Now, the question was: What do I think is fair or ideal? Not what you think. And I'm saying that ballpark once you reach twice 28, things begin to get a little iffy in terms of your quality of life, which I specifically referenced in my previous paragraph. And as you continue to deteriorate on all levels, life gets less attractive. If you say Germans are "happy" at 69 I can believe that. After all, they are recently retired and no longer have the work-a-day grind, and I'm also reminded of the old adage, "We have good news and bad news. The bad news is that you really do slow down. The good news is that you won;t care." Give it some time. Work with it. I don't want to get graphic here. If you're young you won't have any idea what I'm talking about anyway.

Following on with that I am also suggesting that people wanting to live longer is a function of their fear of death and wanting to hang on for as long as possible. And IF people were secure in the idea that their own personalities survive bodily death (Careful now. I'm not saying they do.) then they might very well be more comfortable living a less lengthy life. I believe my answer is responsive and in the spirit of the original question and you choosing to misinterpret my words and argue with me is not.
edit on 12/13/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Uh-huh, somebody got angry at the internets. Chillax, bro/gal, I simply asked for a reference and made a decent point on what would/could be considered “ideal” — 23 or 69. And, yeah, don’t believe the Germans, it is your prerogative.

Don’t work yourself up too much, study do point to stress being a major contributor to early deaths — especially when you are old and don’t want to get to graphic about its commiserate ‘slow downs’.

edit on 13-12-2017 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The life expectancy for the men in my family appears to be just over 80. That's going by father and uncles and grandfathers. Dad got to 85, but only just.
That seems reasonable to me. That will do.

edit on 13-12-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I don’t want a long lifespan necessarily. I want a long healthspan. If I can have both then I’ll be happy. If I can download myself into a machine of some kind I’ll also be happy.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
However long the Lord gives me is the perfect amount of time,life is such that you can die at any moment at any time for any reason,knowing this one can walk freely through life without fear.

Death has no power over me,yea my body may die but my soul will move on,where I will reunite with those I've lost.

That said I would like to live long enough to find the love of my life,my life will feel unfinished to me if I don't,my life is in the Lord's hands and if he wills it then so shall it be.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I am good with 80. I am pretty sure if I make it that far (only 1/2 a century to go), I will have seen more than enough. I seen plenty of this beautiful country, and continue to explore its wonderful land and communities every year.

Although there are a handful of places in other nations I would like to see, it wont make me sad to think I may perish before I do, cuz I have already had a hell of a ride, and I still got some of the best years ahead of me.

Thank you self, for coming to my senses sooner than later though. My twenties may have seen a little bit too much if you ask me, experiences I would have preferred to deal without.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

5 years old. Santa is possibly still real. The tooth fairy still exists. Full imagination is still intact.

A 5 year old would question each and every one of us in that we ask them to get along, but can’t our grown ass selfs...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join