It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet is utility and Net Neutrality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
So, the internet was declared a public utility, not a luxury, in 2016 yet Net Neutrality can be repealed. This doesn't make any sense. The declaration of it as a necessity by classifying it as a public utility was supposed to keep the net fair for all and open for all wasn't it?

Someone else help me make sense of this, I do not know if repealing Net Neutrality is also the declassification of it as a public utility as well. If if doesn't declassify it as a utility, how can Net Neutrality be legally repealed in the first place?

"The court’s decision upheld the F.C.C. on the declaration of broadband as a utility, which was the most significant aspect of the rules. That has broad-reaching implications for web and telecommunications companies that have battled for nearly a decade over the need for regulation to ensure web users get full and equal access to all content online.

“After a decade of debate and legal battles, today’s ruling affirms the commission’s ability to enforce the strongest possible internet protections — both on fixed and mobile networks — that will ensure the internet remains open, now and in the future,” Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said in a statement.

The two judges who ruled in favor of the F.C.C. emphasized the importance of the internet as an essential communications and information platform for consumers.

mobile.nytimes.com...

edit on 13/12/2017 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Dec 13 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: TAGS ADDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Gyo01

So, the internet was declared a public utility, not a luxury, in 2016 yet Net Neutrality can be repealed. This doesn't make any sense.

Yes, it does. They can charge for 'utilities'. The more you use, the more you pay.

Eta: They already do that don't they, charging for 'minutes'?

Classifying the internet as a utility puts it in the same class as cable tv. They divide the 'service' into tiered packages. The more channels you want the more you have to pay. Read that, the more informed you want to be the more money it costs. Poor people stay in the dark. The less you can afford, the more ignorant you become about world events.
edit on 13-12-2017 by intrptr because: Eta

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

So, the internet was declared a public utility, not a luxury, in 2016 yet Net Neutrality can be repealed. This doesn't make any sense.

Yes, it does. They can charge for 'utilities'. The more you use, the more you pay.

I suggest a boycott. Play single player games or invite friends for two player. Get dialup for email. Get talk only phone plans. Live in the 90's for just 3 months. I bet the companies lobby for Net Neutrality after month 2 and get passed in one day. Can't hurt to get away from all this tech anyway...
edit on 13/12/2017 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gyo01

I suggest a boycott.

Okay...

[click]

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gyo01

I suggest a boycott. Play single player games or invite friends for two player. Get dialup for email. Get talk only phone plans. Live in the 90's for just 3 months. I bet the companies lobby for Net Neutrality after month 2 and get passed in one day. Can't hurt to get away from all this tech anyway...

Dream on. Boycott what why again? Play single player games? Most people don't think there is an issue here. Your solution is laughable.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

The head of the FCC is a verizon lawyer. Conflict of interest much?(yes former lawyer but we all know what that means)

His arguments such as restricting making money? ISP s have said they made money.

Point is this is bad news. I remember when verizon used to throttle the internet. paif for 100 mbps and was getting 15. boy i sure loved being chocked to death for that 35 bucks a month for basic.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I really hope the internet and such finally make it to the same prices as those in third world countries. I can wait an extra 10 seconds for my video to start if it means paying $20 instead of $90 but hey...gotta keep the squeeky wheels of insanity well greased as we swirl 'round this miasma of intestinal fortitude

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Maybe it is time for all countries outside US to block all traffic from Verizon nets. If Verizon want to play North Korea tactics then they should be disconnected from the world. Lets see how well they compete with other companies when their traffic is blocked.
edit on 14-12-2017 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yeah but that does't matter. Energy/power is a Utility and a Necessity, but that hasn't stopped companies from lobbying elected officials to get laws and policy passed for their favor and becoming monopolies that cna change as much as they want. Take Nevada, we have Nevada Power, they raise rates every year and help "throttle" solar power so as to make it impossible to save money if you go solar.

top topics

join