It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight and Early Morning Hours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Looks towards the Gemini constellation tonight, as early as 9-10pm EST

It should be a good show this year. A supermoon ruined the show last year.

Dress warm, snuggle up with a loved one and some hot chocolate. Let your mind drift away.

Hopefully some members will be able to post some pics or vids!

The Geminids are considered one of the best meteor showers every year because the individual meteors are bright, and the peak can see meteors stream across the sky at rates as high as 120 meteors an hour.

The meteors tend to peak about 2 a.m. local time, but can be seen as early as 9-10 p.m.

The Geminids, as their name implies, appear to emanate from the bright constellation Gemini (the twins). To find Gemini in the Northern hemisphere, look in the southwastern sky for the constellation Orion, which is easy to spot by the three stars in the hunter's "belt." Then look just up and to the left of Orion to see Gemini, high in the southwestern sky. In the southern hemisphere, Gemini appears to the lower right of Orion and both will hang in the northwestern sky.

Although the meteors will appear to stream away from Gemini, they can appear all across the sky. For best results, you should look slightly away from Gemini so that you can see meteors with longer "tails" as they streak by; staring directly at Gemini will just show you meteors that don't travel very far.

Source 1 www.space.com
Source 2 www.timeanddate.com

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Thank you for the Heads up.

Hope your enjoying your season.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I was awake and outside at 5:30am walking the dog like a typical morning...freezing my bum off but always looking up.
Saw 3 meteors shoot through the sky.
Such a wonderous thing to see!

Too cold to stay out longer...was only 15F outside.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I am looking forward to seeing what might be seen tonight, although it looks like for some of the show, the UK will be under a long blanket of cloud from end to end. This is, however, set to clear at some stage, so hopefully there will be something to see!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hopefully the clipper moves out and takes all the clouds with it so we can ogle for a change. Damn near every meteor shower in the 3 years since moving to MI has been obscured by clouds, lol. My luck just isn't good for shower viewing up here.
edit on 12/13/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Damned clouds!!!

I think it'll be clear where I'm at. Cold, right around freezing which isn't bad at all. We live outside the city so the view should be on-point!

Happy gazing for those without cloud cover!!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

We are really looking forward to this! It was my first thought when I woke up this morning.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
there is a side story to this years meteor shower...

what is thought to be the original source of the annual debris path we orbit into will be within telescope sighting some 2 nights after the meteor shower peak show....

I will try to locate the article I read yesterday & ADD to post... Or
look it up yourselves which might be quicker

Asteroid 3200 Phaethon, Likely Source of Geminid Meteor Shower, Flies by Earth This Week

www.space.com...

yep... 3 miles Big
edit on th31151318164513142017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Supposed to be partly cloudy here tonight.

Situation normal for every meteor shower.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I went out to the woods for some random camping. I had no idea there was a meteor shower going on. But last night it was really good. And a total surprise so that was really cool. And tonight is my last night out here it’s good to know that I randomly picked the best days to do this cause my sleeping bag was covered in ice when I woke up this morning.Don’t worry I know how to keep myself warm.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Cool thanks for the heads up, had a front roll through last night should give me a pretty good view tonight.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I went out to the woods for some random camping. I had no idea there was a meteor shower going on. But last night it was really good. And a total surprise so that was really cool. And tonight is my last night out here it’s good to know that I randomly picked the best days to do this cause my sleeping bag was covered in ice when I woke up this morning.Don’t worry I know how to keep myself warm.

Nice timing.

Enjoy the woods and the light show

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Thanks for the reminder! I hear it could be a great one this year

I have a perfect vantage point from the spa, which is imperative as it will be around 20 degrees or lower.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

9:30 pm here and i just pointed my camera towards that part of the sky to take a 150 Mins of time laps i hope i get something so that i could share it with you guys

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I am an avid meteor watcher, helped by the fact I live in an area of dark skies. Sadly, it's chucking it down with rain tonight, so will get nothing except a wet face if I look up!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

9:30 pm here and i just pointed my camera towards that part of the sky to take a 150 Mins of time laps i hope i get something so that i could share it with you guys

That will be awesome.

Can't wait!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

well i hope that i dont disappoint you, i will do it again tomorrow two consecutive times late at night ( that means 7 hours ) and if there is anything ATS will be the first to watch

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

What type of camera are you using?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The only shower that's heppening right now in the UK is a wet one.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
The only shower that's heppening right now in the UK is a wet one.

Well hopefully Dr UAE comes through for you then, with some sick time lapse content!! No pressure!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join