It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems support accused pedophile senator

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Nothing is sunk at all.

In fact the fact these women were paid has been discussed.

It doesn't answer several things.

1. Even having this knowledge, prosecutors under Obama said the allegations were not so easily dismissed.

2. The allegations were around for a long time before info about the women being paid came out.

Yet no democrats demanded he step down. Instead they wanted to see the results of the investigation (as they should). Yet with moore, that same courtesy was not given.

3. It has been alleges and not proven false that Menendez spent time with underage girls of the criminal he associated with on places like airplanes.

Moore was called a pervert and denounced for supposedly hanging out with young girls at a mall, another double standard.

My point the whole time is that in all these cases he presumption of innocence should be given.

The democrats gave menedenz that, but denounced anyone wanting to give Moore that.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Okay, in my eyes, seeing absolute proof that the girls who accused him of having underage sex were both paid and made up their stories is enough to clear him.

I didn't know why the Justice Department still found the allegations credible after that until I looked it up. It looks like the corroborating evidence is that Menendez' friend Melgen was hanging out with underage girls and giving them money. I would suggest looking at the link below.

USNews

At any rate, it looks like Menendez already went to court and was cleared of the child sex charges by the time this thread was written. Back in 2015, no less. Not only was there not enough proof to convict him or even charge him, the corroborating evidence was all about his friend, Melgen, who does sound like a shady character.

The article citing the fact that the girls were paid to fabricate the claims came out in 2013, way before your thread, yet you didn't include that information in your O.P.

Because Menendez already went to court and was cleared of the child sex charges, and the accusers had been proven to have made up their claims while getting paid, and the corroborating evidence was that Melgen hung out with a lot of underage girls, all prior to your thread being written, I would have to say that I don't see any reason Menendez should step down for being a pedophile.

So what would be relevant would be my opinion of Menendez between 2012 (when he was accused) and 2013 (when the girls were found out to have been lying). I didn't know about him then and I had no opinion.

The whole craze about sexual harassment and the like is a recent one. If Menendez was accused by the girls in 2017 and it was not found out that they were lying until 2018, it is entirely possible (and extremely likely) that Menendez would have been asked to step down by Democrats.

When I first read your thread, I was under the impression that you thought Democrats today should ask Menendez to step down. After doing additional research to find information that was not included in the O.P., I don't see that being the case.

What I do see is the idea that Democrats between 2012 and 2013 should have asked Menendez to step down in order to avoid being hypocrites. Instead, they appear to have waited.

edit on 29pmFri, 29 Dec 2017 16:11:38 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Yes and my argument is that they were right to wait.

However, seeing as how they waited in this case, it is massively hypocritical to call republicans immoral that wanted to wait in the Moore case.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

At least you have good arguments for the most part, there are a lot of conservatives on this site that don't succeed in swaying my opinion because their arguments don't hold water.

In the end, Moore was allowed to continue in the elections and he ended up losing. Part of it could have been timing.

The Moore allegations also land at a time when society has a heightened awareness of alleged sexual harassment. Since the sexual assault and harassment allegations against Hollywood executive Harvey Weinstein surfaced last month, sexual misconduct claims have felled powerful men in media and entertainment.

Washington Post

At any rate, it looks like Moore is in the clear as far as the law goes.

At the time, the statute of limitations for bringing felony charges involving sexual abuse of a minor would have expired three years after the alleged incidents, or sometime between 1980 and 1983. Neither Corfman nor Jones filed a police report after the alleged incidents and no charges were ever brought against Moore.

Alabama law was later changed to remove the statute of limitations for "any sex offense involving a victim under 16 years of age." However, the change only applied to crimes committed before Jan. 7, 1985 -years after the alleged Moore incidents- for which there were no existing statute of limitations law, meaning Moore couldn't be brought up on criminal charges now in connection to sexual abuse charges from 1977 to 1979.

al.com

So there would never be a trial, which means that there would be no waiting to see if he was innocent or guilty in the court of law. Some people have pointed out that asking someone running a campaign for Senate to end the campaign is different than asking a sitting senator to step down. Who knows.

In the end, there was no legal obligation for Moore to step down from the race, I researched that a day or two ago.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I didnt care for moore for some of his positions, such as gay rights.

And he lost, no problem.

But because I called for a presumption of innocnece, and a fair investigation rather it be the ethics committee or elsewhere, I was called a pedophile supporter.

So I was pointing out that the dems themselves also called for the presumption of innocence with menendez, some of which were the very people now calling people doing that for moore immoral.

It is the double standard that I find ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Liberals have recently evolved towards taking an extremely hard-line stance against sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, even for relatively small things, so I’m not surprised they wanted Moore to step down.

I spent some time on ATS pointing out the hypocrisy of conservatives supporting PizzaGate, which to my knowledge accused top Democrats of child sex trafficking with laughable evidence, while letting Moore off the hook. That’s where I was coming from when I talked about the issue in the past.

So you supported letting Roy Moore run, but opening an ethics panel after he potentially got elected?

posted on Dec, 29 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Yes exactly, or someother investigation.

As far as pizzagate, I didn't delve into it.

But my feeling was ruining a civilians business without proof is a terrible thing to do.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

All right, I'll agree with you, but I think that Republicans do a fair share of that, especially with the legitimately fake news websites that spread legitimate lies about Democrats, including Hillary. Look at what happened to Menendez, those were Republicans. And those are proven lies. Unfortunately, Republicans continue to believe them even after they are proven to be false.
edit on 30amSat, 30 Dec 2017 00:16:26 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join