It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Mortgaging Their Homes To Buy Bitcoin, Report Says

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Hears the thing : The more people who want them the more they half to be worth. Think of it like a expanding pie. There are only so many bit coins and they are hard to make.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
All you people saying " bubble" don't get it and will be left behind. Bitcoin isn't a bubble, it's the pin. You want a real bubble? Take a look at government bonds with negative yields. That bubble is approaching $10 trillion - and it's going supernova www.cnbc.com...

$20 trillion tied up in other investment classes like cash, stock, precious metals etc- what happens if just 2% of that moves into crypto (which just hit $500 billion)?

Crash? Bitcoin doesn't crash, it corrects and it weeds out weak hands. Only 21 million coins and the world is in a frenzy trying to get their hands on one.

Or sit back and do nothing.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Edumakated

Maybe bitcoin is the cryptocurrency markets version of Bershirehathaway.

Current BRK-A share price: $298,630 .00

Berkshire actually owns companies. Bitcoin is pure speculation. Huge difference.

I am not saying that there is no merit to Bitcoin and definitely wish I would have jumped on that train, but you'd have to be blind to not see this bubble.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
im bummed i offed my little bit a couple weeks ago when it was at $11k. at some point its gotta pop though id think. although dont take my word for it. i have a terrible track record when it comes to bitcoin. like 100% incorrect and i kick myself for it everyday

My friend and I were mining it when it was about $30...

Trouble is, it gets to $100 and you sell. When it got up over $1000, the very expensive GPU loaded computers we owned could just not be profitable because of the energy they consumed so we cashed in and quit ..... what were we thinking.
edit on 13-12-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I personally see this as a disaster as the real estate market his hit the top,I think both will crash but this time no bail outs,people will go broke,this is the crash they have been talking about,I was hoping wouldn't be in my time but yes I'm still alive,I want to be far from the citys away from the liberals

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Ripple (XRP) has been on a tear the last few days as well.
I have very little in the crypto market but it is doing very well.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
According to coinbase.

Bitcoin is only up +2126 % since last year.

Ethereum is up +8900%

Litecoin is up+ 9000%

And they are calling bitcoin a bubble

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
That is a sign things are going to crash. When the unsophisticated get in, it is time to get out. I remember during the first dotcom boom, people were mortgaging their houses to buy stocks and lost it all on Pets.com. During the housing boom, people were mortgaging their house to buy investment properties to flip. Lost it all in that bust. The same is going to occur with cryptocurrency.

That's my opinion on it too, but people were doing this last year too before the huge spike. It's a very speculation heavy market right now without much in the way of real returns. The unsophisticated have been in it for a while now and the crash hasn't come yet. I'm not saying it's right to get in, only that a lot of people are going to be hit in this one.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

I personally see this as a disaster as the real estate market his hit the top,I think both will crash but this time no bail outs,people will go broke,this is the crash they have been talking about,I was hoping wouldn't be in my time but yes I'm still alive,I want to be far from the citys away from the liberals

People went broke in the last real estate bust. The Banks got literal truck loads of cash from the compassionate conservative.
We will pay the piper, but I think the bitcoin bust, if it happens, will touch fewer. If real estate busts again, banks will get more taxpayer dough.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

The next mainstream crash will be subprime auto loans, followed by a huge employment crisis as people are suddenly unable to get to work.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Medical-student loans will start to cause havoc as well.

The reason I liked Sanders was he was going to drop a 440-V lead down the pants of Washington status quo. And he did not seem to give a crap about corporate feelings.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If there was a run on bitcoin its doubtful you could get your principal back much less the 4 percent mortgage interest.
With the stock market at 30 to 1 price/earnings ratio the price speculation has taken over there as well.

Cash in a safe fixed income investment depreciates so unless there is a "trigger" event that can't be foreseen by more than a week what is the danger again?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Isnt such a rampant increasein value pretty much the definition of a bubble?

On topic; time to buy in was last year, time to get out is now there is no way this kind of growth continues.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Bitcoin is a secure currency so if you sell this year you might have to pay higher taxes on the proceeds, there are also a lot of people giving bitcoin as gifts for the holidays and some of the recent new trading platforms forced the purchase of bitcoins for lease schemes. Initially the lease rates tend to be quite expensive similar to precious metals.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

I hope it works out for everyone that took the plunge after the huge spike in value, when compared to other precious commodities the 2000% increase seems like a set up by one of the big money people to me.

I could be wrong and hope I am, I freely admit I suck when it comes to this stuff, and if I am wrong I will not begrudge the money people made off of it.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
No coiners are salty. Theyre mad they laughed and didnt jump on board now that everyday joes are making money. Bitcoin isnt going anywhere, it isnt a bubble, its legitimate growth. The same people who said it was going to burst at 6k said it was going to burst at 10k and are saying its going to burst now that its stabilizing around 17k. Forbes projects soft market caps at 27k by mid 2018, some companies even projecting 100k by the end of 2019. The only people laughing for real are the ones with nice investments. The no coiners are crying that they either sold out r didnt invest.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Isnt such a rampant increasein value pretty much the definition of a bubble?

On topic; time to buy in was last year, time to get out is now there is no way this kind of growth continues.

Bitcoin is now the fastest and greatest inflation in an assets value in recorded human history. It's having an effect on several similar cryptocurrencies too.

Buying in now is absolutely insane, as is holding.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

The next mainstream crash will be subprime auto loans, followed by a huge employment crisis as people are suddenly unable to get to work.

Say what? You mean everyone's car is going to break at once and they'll need a sub-prime loan to get a new one or they can't get to work?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Its the same thing everyone said when it hit 6k. It was the same thong everyone said when it hit 10k. And people are continuing to speak against it, all the while it continues growing in value. Feel free to sit on the sidelines and yell "bubble" when you are missing out and have zero invested. Im sure when it starts cresting 20k there will be another wave of doom sayers.

edit on 13-12-2017 by Vortiki because: Quote wonked out. Removed.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Say what? You mean everyone's car is going to break at once and they'll need a sub-prime loan to get a new one or they can't get to work?

No. Their current cars are going to get repoed because they can't make the payments anymore. Then they'll have no ability to get another car.

The current auto loan market is very analogous to what housing lenders were doing in the lead up to 2008.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join