It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration moving to allow Restaurants to keep workers tips

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Original article from EPI

It looks like Trump is making America great again, this time by allowing restaurants to retain tips from their employees that exceed the total minimum wage value in their respective area.

The proposed regulation....PDF FILE

This would roll back tip regulations as they currently stand in the Fair Labor Standards Act, that currently restrict employers who pay minimum wage from collecting/re-allocating tips earned by their employees.

I imagine the thinking behind this is that 'owners' are business entities that need more money, and the servers are the rotten offal who are sucking these poor businesses dry and deserve to make even less (as if working in the food service industry isn't already the sewage standard of professions).

I'd love to hear Trump Supporters take on how this is good, why they support it, and why waiters/waitresses and food service professionals deserve to make even less.

edit on Tue Dec 12 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: added PDF FILE

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Just another way to try to screw the actual workers, so the corporate types can add a little more change onto their bloated salaries.

Some restaurants have already made this a habit. My daughter's friend works at a local place, individually owned so not a chain, and we always request her when we eat there. We have to bring cash for her tip because the restaurant owner keeps all the credit card tips.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I guess we'll just have to wait a few weeks and make sure the "facts" don't change and no stories get rolled back.

In the mean time.

WHAT A MONSTER!!!!!

IMPEACH 45, IMPEACH 45!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

It looks like Trump is making America great again, this time by allowing restaurants to retain tips from their employees that exceed the total minimum wage value in their respective area.

The proposed regulation

This would roll back tip regulations as they currently stand in the Fair Labor Standards Act, that currently restrict employers who pay minimum wage from collecting/re-allocating tips earned by their employees.

I imagine the thinking behind this is that 'owners' are business entities that need more money, and the servers are the rotten offal who are sucking these poor businesses dry and deserve to make even less (as if working in the food service industry isn't already the sewage standard of professions).

I'd love to hear Trump Supporters take on how this is good, why they support it, and why waiters/waitresses and food service professionals deserve to make even less.

Super #ty.
I'm on the way out but I will dig in when I get home. Wanted to mark for later.
I think if any of his people had to sling hash he might not be for this bull#

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I imagine the thinking behind this is that 'owners' are business entities that need more money, and the servers are the rotten offal who are sucking these poor businesses dry and deserve to make even less

That is some serious projection. Is that what you truly believe, or is that what you want to believe so it can fit your narrative?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Thanks for the pdf link btw
Love when I click that on my phone
Not a cool move my friend

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I don't care what the jingoistic legislation says, declared income is taxable, under the table is tax free.

They need every last penny for the war machine.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

You linked to two documents without providing any meat FROM said documents to back up your accusations! If you think I am going to read thru them because you were too lazy to provide ANY proof of your accusations you're nutz!!!! How about showing what is in the proposal (which is what it is, it isn't law yet) to back up what you are saying!!

Where's the proof? Your post, BACK IT UP!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Imagine the income from Drumpf™ brand restaurants. Maybe the Drumpf Admin. can get those red hats from American companies next time?

Neat hats, I wish I had 2. 1 to crap in and 1 to cover it up....

Anyone able to decipher Romanian? The reason I ask is Herr Drumpf's hotel in South Flori-Duh is swimming in Romanian workers, they'll be pissed...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Well, when business owners start to make more money they magically become altruistic and provide more jobs and raises to their workers instead of just further enriching themselves.

At least that's what the trickle me down people would have you believe.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I imagine the thinking behind this is that 'owners' are business entities that need more money, and the servers are the rotten offal who are sucking these poor businesses dry and deserve to make even less

That is some serious projection. Is that what you truly believe, or is that what you want to believe so it can fit your narrative?

Its hyperbolic, hopefully to get a response from Trump supporters (whom I'm genuinely interested in hearing actual reasonable thoughts about - though I can't think of any myself).

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

You linked to two documents without providing any meat FROM said documents to back up your accusations! If you think I am going to read thru them because you were too lazy to provide ANY proof of your accusations you're nutz!!!! How about showing what is in the proposal (which is what it is, it isn't law yet) to back up what you are saying!!

Where's the proof? Your post, BACK IT UP!

Lol, the summary is literally on the first page (which I also summarized in my own words in my first post):

SUMMARY: The Department of Labor (Department) is proposing to rescind portions of its tip
regulations issued pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act that impose restrictions on
employers that pay a direct cash wage of at least the full federal minimum wage and do not seek
to use a portion of tips as a credit toward their minimum wage obligations.

I guess I expected more from you rather than some childish response, ya know, like using reading skills. I imagined people like you would not believe my words so I linked the actual proposed change and yet you still can't be bothered to read it. Pathetic.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Restaurants in The U.K tried this stunt.

U.K. legislation states:-

Cash Tips go to the waiter or waitress 100%

Tips added to a debit or credit card go 90% to the waiter or waitress, and the remaining 10% to the restaurant to cover card administration cost.

Good luck to you guys over there.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Good waitstaff looses part of tips and goes to another business.

Owners hires new staff who don't care to give good service and are use to less tips.

Customers stop visiting restaurants with staff who don't care about service.

Owner scratches head and wonders why.

Yeah, I am only dreaming that it would work like that. Maybe waitstaff will inform customers of the limit of a tip to make to prevent just paying more instead of rewarding the staff.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Reading the actual regulatory proposal, it's clear this is in response to a series of lawsuits since the current law was changed in 2011. It actually seems to make sense and isn't the nefarious nonsense the first article paints it as in any way.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Reading the actual regulatory proposal, it's clear this is in response to a series of lawsuits since the current law was changed in 2011. It actually seems to make sense and isn't the nefarious nonsense the first article paints it as in any way.

I'm intrigued. Can you quote or further explain how it makes sense?
edit on 50pm17fpmTue, 12 Dec 2017 14:34:19 -0600America/ChicagoTue, 12 Dec 2017 14:34:19 -0600 by Wayfarer because: verbage

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I got that, but upon reading what I did due to your intellectual laziness, I found with what I did read it was to distinguish between employers who DID pay minimum wage versus those who did NOT pay minimum wage on applying the law in a fair manner between business owners who did and did NOT pay minimum wage to make a fair playing field towards laws that applied to businesses who accepted tips!

So show me what you claimed in your opening post of anti Trump accusations that is true from the actual documents you listed!

I did read a good portion before I got pissed at your laziness to prove what you claimed!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, I don't know why, but I read the pdf, and then the article. Well the first paragraph of the article, since it seemed to be inaccurate or attempting to conflate what the proposal was actually stating.

So, shockingly, to me. This seems like a piece to simply cast a negative light on our extremely polarizing president(people on oneside, massive corporate/government dollars on the other) in order to facilitate some sort of thought narrative.

I know, I know, I never thought I'd see the day either.
edit on 12-12-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Its hyperbolic, hopefully to get a response from Trump supporters (whom I'm genuinely interested in hearing actual reasonable thoughts about - though I can't think of any myself).

Well I am with you for the most part, I think they deserve to keep all the tips they've earned. But you didn't really provide us with any context on the actual regulation other than your extremely hyperbolic statement. And I didn't read the link either, so really I have no comment.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears Can your phone not open pdf files? Or am I missing something here. Sorry don't mean to take away from the topic. On topic though if this is actually going to happen I imagine it will back fire pretty fast.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join