It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my dog hate UPS? Only UPS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
My dog absolutely hates UPS. Here is the weird thing, she is absolutely fine with FedEx, the regular USPS and all other delivery trucks. It is only UPS she hates and barks like crazy. She really really hates them! UPS here has different drivers so it is not a particular person. She is part poodle and has an uncanny ability to sniff out bad people, but bad trucks? I was shocked when I looked online and found similar stories. I also found out that UPS drivers tends to sue for dog bites, maybe more than other delivery drivers, can dogs sense something weird like that? She is an inside dog so she hasn't had any bad experiences with any deliveries in particular. I like our UPS drivers and they tend to really work their butts off, but I trust my dog 99.9% more than people, she just knows things.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

UPS uniforms are made from dog hides.

This is a very little known fact, but obviously your dog has picked up on this.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Funny, that was one thing I wondered, if that yucky brown uniform makes them look like a predator or something! But she hates the truck too.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I've grown to trust dog's senses over the decades... over most any other sensory input.

I'd say the UPS driver has body parts stashed at home and is sizing up the neighborhood.

Sleep well...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Same with our dog.

IMO, it has something to do with how noisy they are. Big hollow metal box, loud diesel engines, driven on tight schedules. Vroom zoom, ba bang bang over speed bumps.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I don't know where you live, but I asked the same question to one of my drivers
who always drops my packages off he said that the UPS trucks here in Pa have a
un-noticeable device that animals can only hear they use it to ward off deer
as they drive. I wasn't sure that he was telling me the truth, but who knows
my last husky went berzerk every time he would pass our house and never did it
to any other truck or car. Who knows.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Same with our dog.

IMO, it has something to do with how noisy they are. Big hollow metal box, loud diesel engines, driven on tight schedules. Vroom zoom, ba bang bang over speed bumps.

I think you nailed it!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Sounds maybe? The truck might go 23 to 54kHz due to vibration. If other dogs got the same problem and the trucks have a different design than the usual van... just guessing but one could try to measure that if interested.

originally posted by: starlitestarbrite

Sounds.

edit on 12-12-2017 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Now that might be it! We have tons of deer here and lots of big country dogs. Maybe there is a device!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Also don't discount the 'non-positive energy' that gets brought into every interaction. What I mean by that is:

The driver knows the dog doesn't like UPS™. The dog knows She doesn't like the UPS™ Same thing is happening as when the dog hears someone at the front door and reacts (barks). The owner thinks to them Self "don't bolt; don't bolt; don't bolt" and as soon as the door opens, voila¡ the dog bolts...

I'd either have UPS™ call You when/if You have package(s) coming OR deliver Your packages to a neighbor You can trust OR next delivery, have dog and delivery person get on the same page...

Tough one as BOTH are "just doing their job"

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: starlitestarbrite

That might explain it. My dogs also have extra hate for the men in brown. In fact one day they actually jumped up into the van to go after him. He leaves our packages a couple miles down the road now...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Definitely the sounds! My 60lb Staffy mix can hear FedEx or UPS trucks braking 2 streets either direction of my house, recognizes them and he goes nuts. I think it’s the squeal of the brakes hitting just the right pitch. Once one of the trucks stops at front of my or immediate neighbors) house, he calms (a little) down until next time he hears braking from either company’s trucks. Squealing brakes on regular cars/trucks don’t bother him a bit.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

That is so funny you mentioned the dog jumping in the van, we have a lady here with a lost cat. She is sure the cat jumped in the UPS van and can be anywhere in the state right now!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
i believe its beacuse your dog prefers quality over other delivery persons

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm of no help here. My dog goes completely caveman at anyone or anything that's in her eyesight. Once a person meets her, she's totally fine. But up to that point, whatever it is must die!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
My wife told me that her dog, (20 years ago)
Would bark like mad at the UPS truck as it would drive past her house.
They always thought that a driver had kicked him or something but now I wonder.

He was a real friendly dog too, so I can't imagine him being a problem for a driver.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I hate to sound upity here, but we have the coolest dog on earth. He is a labrahound. Oddly larger than a lab, but one day I heard him bark (he never barks), he stood up and ran (he never runs), so I yelled and followed him around the corner of the house. He was bolting for the UPS truck! I thought S$@T! I'm going to get sued!
He jumps in the truck, and I really panic. I run yelling at the UPS driver apologizing, and he replies "who, buster? He rides with me every day!" He usually stays in, but will sure let you know when he wants out.
We don't have a fence in the country and the driver told me he pulls by our house first, picks up Buster and makes his deliveries. Everybody knows him and let's him in to hang out in our subdivision and he runs off all the trouble dogs.
When the UPS guy retired a year ago, he gave him one last ride and put a UPS bandana around his neck.
Like I said, awesome dog. Awesome UPS guy.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

That is amazing, that UPS driver must not have a device, LOL! How cute is it that he rode around with him!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

inside dog?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

It usually has to do with the uniform and pack mentality as far as the initial aggression, but what enforces it is that from the dogs pov, since the ups man leaves when he barks. The dog assumes he ran him off and saved the day.

If you feel it is an issue. Next time the ups guy comes by and you feel like messing with it. Put the dog in front of him and pin him till he submits every time he barks or growls..

Look up dominance training or the dog whisperer episodes. Since that’s all he does is teach dominance training..

Works like a charm and you never once strike your dog.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join