It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Shows Exactly How Voter ID Laws Can Be Used for Voter Suppression

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Pretty sure that black folks dont have the lack of ID issues that say illegal immigrants do anyways. Who the hell is a legal citizen and doesnt have and ID, namely a drivers license, to begin with? People who probably shouldnt be voting anyway is my answer.

edit on 12-12-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
good thread, OP... since they can't get away with those insane 'literacy' tests any more, voter ID laws are the new way to suppress the vote of people you don't think will vote for you. you notice it's only conservatives that push for stuff like this, after all... and it's not because there's so much voter fraud or undocumented immigrants voting, despite what president delusions spouts off about it.

You two are so #ing racist, it's sad. You just ASSume that black folks can't get an ID. I hear tell, them colored folk are just as smart as us whites.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
We'll lose those laws as soon as places like NY, CA, MD, CT agree to full audits.

We can't solely focus on voter ID laws, when there is no better way to ensure foreign interference doesn't happen in those above at-risk states.

Is there a better option?
edit on 12/12/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What about all of the places that still practice slavery?

You do realize this didn't only occur in the United States.

Hell, given the financial and banking cartels we live under, it can be argued that most of us are slaves.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is horrible!

How will the Russians be able to vote?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It really is horrible.

All this whining bout voter suppression when the simple fact the popular vote is meaningless to begin with.

Since the EC determines the outcome.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

so - 30 DMV facilities have been alledgedly " closed " [ follow ups show this is not entirely true - but hey
]

8 of them are in " black majority " counties - which means - 22 of them are in white majority counties

please explain coherently how this = racist ?

"Adverse Impact". The Federal Department of Transportation agreed with the NAACP, and the issue was corrected almost 3 years ago.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
As a current resident of Alabama, I can safely say this is some fine propaganda.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

There are 67 counties in Alabama. The eight affected counties are the LEAST populated counties in the state.

Well that's clearly not true. 67-50 = 17. Without listing the gaps, that doesn't work. They are however, among the least populated.

Alabama's total population is 4,779,736 people. The TOTAL population of those eight counties is 96,657 or essentially 2% of the entire state population. When one considers the actual black vs. white counts and population above 18 years of age, the number of blacks 'inconvenienced' by this (we can ignore the inconveniences perpetrated against the white residents of those counties) is obviosly significantly less than 1%.

Well no. If it's 2% of the population, you'd expect 2% of the eligible voters as well. I don't have specific demographic breakdowns but the article says that in each of the counties, more than 75% of the registered voters are black. Let's just assume for the sake of back of the napkin math that voter registration is roughly reflective of population in AL.

But I like where you're going with this. Voter suppression doesn't matter if it can't be demonstrated to be a large enough effect.

So what's the point of Voter ID laws again? The current SOS (John Merrill) made a big stink about "voter fraud" to the tune (he claimed) of 674 "crossover" votes saying that the violators should face 5 years in prison and $15k in fines.

Of course, that didn't happen because it turned out that most of it was clerical error.

No single 'affected' county appears to be more than an hour's drive from an open location.

Well that cinches it then. For a lot of people an hour drive might as well be a 10 hour drive.

The entire premise of this thread is BS disinformation.

Is it? Hmmm. The whole idea that voter fraud is a significant problem is flat disinformation but it sure seems to move right-wingers to advocate for all sorts of legislation. But whenever the statistics are brought up, we hear about the closest of races an the slimmest of margins and all sorts of hypotheticals.

We hear that even 1 fraudulent vote is 1 too many.

But when it comes to the same people and voter suppression? Crickets at best and more often, angry defensive triggered rants.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I have to agree that racist whites still believe in voter suppression and push it but the reality is just not there.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

What would be your solution to making sure that only eligible voters vote and don't vote more than once? Would say a bio-metrics data base be better than a legal ID? What would be your plan?

I'm open to idea's personally, but ID's seem the best solution.

Racists do exist in all political Parties, that's just a given. That does not mean that people who are for protecting against illegal voting are racist. It would be absurd to even suggest that. Absurd and the product of yet another form of bigotry.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Agreed. Im shocked its even an issue.

You should need an id to vote. Id rather see voter registration done away with and just tie it to the ID instead.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm reaching the point I see the wisdom in some form of bio-metrics replacing most everything from a Social Security card to voter registration. Nothing to pay for, no need for a trip to anywhere, just prove you're who you are and do what you need to do.

That would also make things easily accessible for anyone who has a cell phone or knows someone with one. I'd love to be able to leave my wallet at home. Voting that way would let more people vote and end the debate. Those voting illegally would be caught immediately solving that issue. Even the remote villages here in Alaska have cell phone access now.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, if it were up to roy moore, the people wouldn't be voting to send him to the senate, the state legislature would.

Yes, and also the citizens could call their state congressmen and put the pressure to remove someone that was a cad, if said person really was a cad......

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: pavil

a reply to: pavil

Voter turnout isn't how it gets measured.

You measure adverse impact. If a government move creates an adverse impact on a protected class, then the move is a violation of civil rights. It doesn't matter if the white half of a county goes and votes.

If you are going to put licensing as a hurdle for voting, you cannot restrict licensing. It seems that someone agreed with me, as the courts made the offices reopen. It doesn't matter if you think it is "right" or not. Its the truth, and that is all that I am discussing here. The philosophy of race is for another discussion.

So you can't actually show it's lowered Black voting in this areas I take it? That's the whole basis of your sides claim here?

I don't have a side here. Im just stating what i understand the law to be. The DOT agreed with me because I have a good understanding of how the laws work.

So you wouldn't have an issue if the Secretary of State offices weren't shut down and they could very easily get proper ID?

If the SOS offices were the hurdle to exercising the basic human right of voting, then yes. I would. As would the Federal Government, who created the standard im reciting.

The offices reopened by court order and still it's a problem ? Not following this train of thought.

Good, because Im not driving that particular train. Im pointing out that the government of AL seems to have tried to suppress voters, and the DOT intervened because they agreed.

If you are going to claim they are poor, to get most government benefits, part of the process is providing a valid Govt ID showing your place of residence.

That seems to be the argument now....that only the blacks in those counties, not whites are now disenfranchised because of the lack of close by offices to get proper ID.?

You should read the laws. If you don't understand what i am saying, the EEOC website might have some materials that will help.

How would you propose we verify voters? We have had to produce ID here in Michigan to vote and no one thinks it's a problem, black ,white or brown.

Why is not a problem in Michigan yet it's a problem elsewhere?

Did MI decide to close the outlets that provide those ID's to a protected class of citizen? If they did, then they, too, have violated civil rights.

While i don't see everything as you every time. I do see a lot of logic in your posts. I would say you are a voice of reason more than not Furry dude! And I see your post about equally being screwed sums up my feelings also... I too think it is insane to suggest one race or another can't do something because of whitey or 'the man' (they used to say). We simply all have to obtain an id to move around for the rest of modern civilization now thanks to al Qaeda and ISIS....

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian>>>>> You can't do anything without a photo ID in Pa. No doctors visits, no banking, shopping is possible by credit card although if they'd demand a photo ID everytime that would cut down on crime. And its easy to get a photo ID at any DMV photo center so at least in PA saying that its geared to suppress the vote its pure BS. They even let ineligible people sign up to vote in the DMV with the claim that they'll recheck things later. Sure they will.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
If they don't have voter ID, they are probably not even citizens. Every country requires voter ID to vote.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Funny you change your argument from voter suppression to, well okay they actually CAN vote but it’s just not as good of a ballot...

Looks like they better get an I.D. then if they don’t want to vote on an Inferior ballot.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Grambler
Well the article says 31 drivers license centers will be closing. So white areas will be affected to.

And nothing is to stop blacks from getting those ids at the dmvs that are still open.

The idea that blacks are incapable of getting any one of a number of photo ids is a bigotry of low expectations, and a tiresome one

"Bigotry of low expectations?" Ridiculous. How about we deal with the real world? You have two groups of people. Group A can go 10 miles to obtain an ID needed to vote. Group B has to go 30 miles to obtain the same ID.

It stands to reason that members of Group A are going to be more likely to get that ID than members of Group B. Right? And with every mile added, that gap only gets larger. What if Group B has to go 50 miles? 100 miles?

Voter suppression is a game of margins.

In a close election, making it just hard enough that a few people out of every hundred are going to be less likely to make that trip is all it takes to swing an election. Nice try with the reverse-SJW or whatever but I'm talking about practical considerations. Making things more difficult means less people will do a thing.

This is true you are right. But what about the fact that they don’t actually need the I.D. to vote?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: Shamrock6

Similar things happen in Texas, where the small towns in West Texas have mobile workers that travel to and staff the offices. Lamesa, TX is open on Monday and Tuesday, Stanton, TX is open on Friday, Big spring on Wed and Thu (for example) using the same staff.

It allows people who are not really that mobile (travelling an hour) to conduct business with the least friendly customer service staff on the planet.

They've stripped our DMV here in SW AZ on the Mexican border - - to the "bare bones". Removed all chairs - its now standing in line only, waiting for your number to be called.

There's rumor they want to close it completely. Not sure what happens then. Phoenix is 3 hours away.

Why did they remove the chairs?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join