It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Shows Exactly How Voter ID Laws Can Be Used for Voter Suppression

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Gargamel

a reply to: theantediluvian

Whether it is intentional or not, it creates an adverse impact on black voters, and it therefore violating the civil rights of Alabama residents.

No way around it.

What does a black voter have to do that is different from a white voter?

Drive.

But you are asking the wrong question: is the closing of access to the licensing creating an adverse impact on minorities who are wanting to vote? The answer is unequivocally 'Yes".

Not in this case, as has been shown.

Oh really?

Looks to me like the courts are using the same interpretation as I am here.

Yes, and those offices have be opened and given more hours, as your article states.

So it is not creating an adverse situation as you said, because its has been resolved, as has been shown on this thread.

Im not saying its not resolved. Im saying doing it in the first place was an obvious act of voter suppression of minorities, which is racist by its very definition.

The courts agree.

So 8 of 31 offices being closed were in minority areas and to you this proves that minorities were being suppressed? It's been a long day and I could be wrong but that math doesn't add up to minorities being targeted to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: six67seven

the OP is simply an extension of the MSM - an arm of mis-information. Or there's simply a lack of time for reading the actual posted by him/herself. Or maybe the expectation that no one will read the links. Or a lack of reading comprehension by the OP - couldn't be this last one...could it?

That might have some impact if you hadn't just Googled it, found the first thing from his spokespeople that you liked and posted it.

Have you listened to the actual discussion? No? No you haven't? So you're taking their word for it? An excerpt from the actual conversation:

"People also don't understand, and being from the South, also, you get it. The 14th Amendment was only achieved at the point of a gun."

Roy Moore: "Yeah, it has [unintelligible] problems... very serious problems with its approval."

Roy Moore did in fact express a belief that the 14th Amendment should be repealed. The fact that he employed the typical states' rights bull# doesn't have any real bearing on that. But you know that if blah blah blah... hypocrite.

You have little-to-no idea what you're talking about. You're grasping at straws.

I didn't have to google for anything... you included the link (inclusive of audio) in your OP. smh

What exactly are you trying to say Moore said about the 14th amendment and why he would repeal it (request for his quotes)? Or did you just google it and clicked the first thing?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
threads like this really make me wonder what some conservatives find so threatening about acknowledging reality...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargamel

Im not making an argument here. Im stating the fact. The same fact that the NAACP saw, and the same fact that caused the offices to be reopened.

of the 31 offices that were closed, 8 of them operated in the poorest areas with the highest minority population. The DOT stated that:

"Based on its investigation, DOT has concluded that African Americans residing in the Black Belt region of Alabama disproportionately underserved by ALEA's driver licensing services, causing a disparate and adverse impact on the basis of race," the department said.

If you think this is all wrong, then you should form a legal initiative to battle groups like the NAACP, as they brought the lawsuit.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Whether it is intentional or not, it creates an adverse impact on black voters, and it therefore violating the civil rights of Alabama residents.

No way around it.

Drive.

But you are asking the wrong question: is the closing of access to the licensing creating an adverse impact on minorities who are wanting to vote? The answer is unequivocally 'Yes".

Not in this case, as has been shown.

Oh really?

Looks to me like the courts are using the same interpretation as I am here.

Yes, and those offices have be opened and given more hours, as your article states.

So it is not creating an adverse situation as you said, because its has been resolved, as has been shown on this thread.

Im not saying its not resolved. Im saying doing it in the first place was an obvious act of voter suppression of minorities, which is racist by its very definition.

The courts agree.

So 8 of 31 offices being closed were in minority areas and to you this proves that minorities were being suppressed? It's been a long day and I could be wrong but that math doesn't add up to minorities being targeted to me.

Im going to need you to provide the stats you are referencing, because I think you are mistating/misinferring some stuff.

The 8 offices were offices that serviced areas that were the highest minority populations. The remaining 23 offices, i have no idea about.

But in a nation where individual rights are paramount, im ignoring the 23 others to focus ont he rights of the individuals who live in those 8 districts. Individually, their rights were being trampled. To save 200k in a budget with 100mil of shortfalls.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

You do realize that the 14th amendment includes multiple topics, any of which could be points of contention, right? Think of it this way, 6 years ago the Republican Congress was at war over the debt ceiling with Obama. The 14th was being used by some Democrats to argue that Obama had the authority to ignore the debt ceiling and run the US into further debt as he saw fit, bypassing Congress entirely. That 4th section of the 14th Amendment is the reason many libertarians and fiscal conservatives rail against the amendment, but hey, let's make this a race baiting circus because that's really all you got on the topic.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If two people are equally impacted, one being White, one being a minority, both being equally poor and disadvantaged, is it still racist against the minority? Is not equal treatment the goal? If not, why not?

An argument about a law that applies to everyone equally being racist, seems to indicate the real goal is unequal treatment under the law. Would that not make the goal special treatment for one over the other? Definitive discrimination?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Yeah, its ridiculous.

Notice how on this thread it shows a map of where the offices closed.

www.al.com...

Now here is a map of the percentage of counties with more than 50% black, and those with less than 10% black.

cber.cba.ua.edu...

Notice how many counties with a very small percentage of blacks had their offices closed.

So we can assume that the closure of the office in say Lauderdal county with an overwhelming white population, or Franklin county that was the same, was to be racist against white voters.

And this doesnt even take into account that free id's to vote could have been obtained at registars offices that stayed open in every county, and that you could call and have an ID delivered directly to your house.

edit on 12-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

in the 2016 primaries, 38% of provisional ballots were rejected:

Maybe because they were invalid? Remember, they have to be verified. If they can't be verified, they don't count. I don't think I'd want dead people voting one side or the other.

By the way, is that 38% only dem voters? What's the tally for the Rep voters that didn't get counted? Let's compare. Only fair. I'd be interested to know the differences.

Man... You're really killing our trust in your future posts.
edit on 12-12-2017 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
None of this is racist.
The offices were reopened.
The voters can get a provisional ballot without an id.
If you cant get to the office the state of alabama will bring the office to you and hand deliver a state id card.

This poorly researched excuse for a thread is a thinly veiled MOORE IS POOP extravaganza, and a preemptive voters in alabama are racist for choosing moore election loss thread.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Yeah, its ridiculous.

Notice how on this thread it shows a map of where the offices closed.

www.al.com...

Now here is a map of the percentage of counties with more than 50% black, and those with less than 10% black.

cber.cba.ua.edu...

Notice how many counties with a very small percentage of blacks had their offices closed.

So we can assume that the closure of the office in say Lauderdal county with an overwhelming white population, or Franklin county that was the same, was to be racist against white voters.

Nope...we all know you cannot be racist against whites.

You're racist just for defending yourself in this thread.

You make me sick.
/s

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Man... You're really killing our trust in your future posts.

the cost of partisanship above all else

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: seeker1963

You're right, it was in 2015 that the DMVs were closed. I'll update the OP, thanks!

Don't stop there. Update with the other facts that some have presented against your OP. Oh wait... if you did that, you wouldn't have an OP. Ahh well...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Nice how you left that part out, right? I'd say that slavery automatically precludes greatness in a culture, wouldn't you?

So, basically, you admit that everything about America is invalid and you hate it?

Don't forget, we had slavery when we were Founded, so you broad pronouncement more or less unwrites our COTUS and Bill of Rights.

I guess no one in Alabama should be voting, so why are you so upset again?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, if it were up to roy moore, the people wouldn't be voting to send him to the senate, the state legislature would.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Right.

And I am sure that the NAACP and many other racial pimping groups did push court cases about the black counties that were affected, and the courts caved.

yet what group would have been pushing cases for the overwhelming white counties that lost their office? None.

If these closures were designed to just screw over blacks, why close down offices in counties where almost no blacks lived. Its almost like it wasn't a decision designed to screw over blacks!!!

And then, the evil white republicans decided to further screw over blacks by allowing them to obtain an ID to vote at any registrars office that stayed open in the counties.

And even more insidiously, they would send an ID processor right to your house if you requested!

Not to mention this thread was intially implied to be about the election today, and this was all done in 2015.

Further proof it is just an excuse to yell racism to smear opponents.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

a reply to: pavil

Voter turnout isn't how it gets measured.

You measure adverse impact. If a government move creates an adverse impact on a protected class, then the move is a violation of civil rights. It doesn't matter if the white half of a county goes and votes.

If you are going to put licensing as a hurdle for voting, you cannot restrict licensing. It seems that someone agreed with me, as the courts made the offices reopen. It doesn't matter if you think it is "right" or not. Its the truth, and that is all that I am discussing here. The philosophy of race is for another discussion.

So you can't actually show it's lowered Black voting in this areas I take it? That's the whole basis of your sides claim here?

So you wouldn't have an issue if the Secretary of State offices weren't shut down and they could very easily get proper ID?

The offices reopened by court order and still it's a problem ? Not following this train of thought.

If you are going to claim they are poor, to get most government benefits, part of the process is providing a valid Govt ID showing your place of residence.

That seems to be the argument now....that only the blacks in those counties, not whites are now disenfranchised because of the lack of close by offices to get proper ID.?

How would you propose we verify voters? We have had to produce ID here in Michigan to vote and no one thinks it's a problem, black ,white or brown.

Why is not a problem in Michigan yet it's a problem elsewhere?
edit on 12-12-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: dothedew
So, judging by your logic, people that have no form of ID can't go anywhere to get one? They are unable to get an ID? Better yet, they're of voting age and DON"T have a valid form of identification? They can't go online and order one?

You're confusing general laziness and lack of proactivity with political conspiracy

Not everyone has a car. Not everyone has internet. Public transport doesn't always go where you want it to.

You can get ID online?

Are they shutting DMV's down in high Republican areas?

Understand Disenfranchised.

So you're saying:

All white people can afford cars
All white people are rich
All white people are republicans
Only white people can get an ID
This law stops only black people from voting - If you're white, you're ok because of all of the above....

how ignorant

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

No way around it.

Because it only focuses on the black voter. White voters don't matter. No one gives 2 squats about what any poor white person endures. Poor whites = trailer trash. (sadly even white people call poor white people trailer trash)

But... Doesn't matter. It's not about white people privilege.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly
i think it is more racist to suggest that black people are so poor and ignorant that they cant get a voter ID......

Plus, this seems to be much more than an issue in the US, than in any other country.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join