It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Shows Exactly How Voter ID Laws Can Be Used for Voter Suppression

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargamel
a reply to: theantediluvian

I have a very simple question. Are the laws only for Democratic voters or do they apply to Republicans as well?

Any takers?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

This has to be the worst thread I have seen the op post.
The offices are open, not closed as in the bs propoganda posted.
Anyone can get a provisional ballot if they do not have id so no one will be turned away.

Also this from the ops own link
sos.alabama.gov...

Instructions To submit your request for a home visit or group event by our Photo Voter ID Mobile Unit, please fill out this form. Please note that all fields below are required. A mobile ID event must be requested a minimum of 2 weeks in advance.

If you cant get to them they WILL COME TO YOU so you may obtain an id.

what a trash thread from an op that used to post well sourced well thought out threads

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Whether it is intentional or not, it creates an adverse impact on black voters, and it therefore violating the civil rights of Alabama residents.

No way around it.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Shhhhhh....

Your facts are racist!!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Is this just a preemptive moore won because racism thread?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Similar things happen in Texas, where the small towns in West Texas have mobile workers that travel to and staff the offices. Lamesa, TX is open on Monday and Tuesday, Stanton, TX is open on Friday, Big spring on Wed and Thu (for example) using the same staff.

It allows people who are not really that mobile (travelling an hour) to conduct business with the least friendly customer service staff on the planet.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Whether it is intentional or not, it creates an adverse impact on black voters, and it therefore violating the civil rights of Alabama residents.

No way around it.

What does a black voter have to do that is different from a white voter?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

No way around it.

How?

Not only was this done in 2015, but as the post above yours shows, the offices are opne, you can vote with provisional ballaots, you can have them come to you.

In addition, the ops own articles showed that the majority of the offices being closed were in predominantly white areas.

And the op suggested this was about the amount of distance needed to be traveled causing supression.

Again, this is worse in rural areas, which are predominantly white, which using the ops logic would mean that the government is being intentional racist towards whites and trying to supress them by making them drive further to get an I'd than blacks.

I think this op is a classic example of wanting to accuse people they don't like of being racist.
edit on 12-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

the OP is simply an extension of the MSM - an arm of mis-information. Or there's simply a lack of time for reading the actual posted by him/herself. Or maybe the expectation that no one will read the links. Or a lack of reading comprehension by the OP - couldn't be this last one...could it?

That might have some impact if you hadn't just Googled it, found the first thing from his spokespeople that you liked and posted it.

Have you listened to the actual discussion? No? No you haven't? So you're taking their word for it? An excerpt from the actual conversation:

"People also don't understand, and being from the South, also, you get it. The 14th Amendment was only achieved at the point of a gun."

Roy Moore: "Yeah, it has [unintelligible] problems... very serious problems with its approval."

Roy Moore did in fact express a belief that the 14th Amendment should be repealed. The fact that he employed the typical states' rights bull# doesn't have any real bearing on that. But you know that if blah blah blah... hypocrite.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

No way around it.

Look at AL vote totals for the last 3 Presidential Elections and show me the actual decline of Black voters voting.

There has been a slight drop off since 2008 in voters, following the same trend Nationwide we have observed after Obama's 2008 high numbers. Even his 2012 numbers were not as good. Clinton pulled about the same in Black Voters percent wise in AL that she did Nationwide, which was less than Obama's 2012 numbers.

Show me documentable numbers from this counties that show a trend different than those we have observed Nationwide.
Pick one of those counties and show me the registered vote percentages for each of the last 3 elections and total number of votes.

You won't see much of a difference compared to national trends.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It allows people who are not really that mobile (travelling an hour) to conduct business with the least friendly customer service staff on the planet.

A hallmark of (mainly local, but other levels too) governments that function as jobs programs rather than efficient entities: you wind up with a bunch of angry, bitter people dealing with the public as the face of "the government" every day, then have the gall to wonder why people don't appreciate you.

Weird how that works, eh?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
More Fake News....

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I really look forward to having Roy help make policy and law that directs our country. I missed the 19th century. /s

link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Grambler

Is this just a preemptive moore won because racism thread?

Ding ding ding....we have a winner.

Did you expect less.......?

link   

Why are leftists so racist against law abiding citizens?

Additionally, they are racist in assuming that some segments of the population are so inferior that they can't figure out how to get IDs.

edit on 12-12-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Why is it, after searching, the only people I find complaining about voter ID are either obviously middle class or above, MSM talking heads and affluent politicians?

The average everyday joe schmoe (black and white) on the street doesn't care or finds the fact people think they can't get ID's insulting.

edit on 12 12 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Voter IDs for voting are perfectly fine as long as they except a drivers license, state ID, passport, or military ID.

It is 2017 if a person cant be responsible enough to have an ID they are not responsible enough to vote. I bet most minorities will agree with that.
edit on 12-12-2017 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
And weird that the very people pushing how voter ID laws are pushed by racist republicans have sort of looked the other way on the actual admitted criminality in New york during the 2016 primary to help hand the election to HIllary.

The first head has rolled after more than 100,000 voters were mistakenly purged from the Brooklyn voter rolls ahead of this week’s New York primary, which handed Hillary Clinton a much-needed win over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. Diane Haslett-Rudiano, the chief clerk of the New York Board of Elections, was suspended “without pay, effective immediately, pending an internal investigation into the administration of the voter rolls in the Borough of Brooklyn,” the agency said in a statement, according to the New York Daily News.

www.motherjones.com...

New York City's Board of Elections will acknowledge it broke the law and be making serious changes in its practices, according to the proposed settlement of a legal fight over the purge of more than 200,000 voters from city rolls.

www.nydailynews.com...

Nothing to see there though!

Now having an ID be required to vote, that a huge deal and racist!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
a reply to: Annee

I don't get it. We in Michigan have had to show ID for almost as long as I can remember. No one here claims it is preventing people from voting. It's really a non issue and then the anti voter ID people show a 98 year old women who can't get an ID because she would have to produce a birth certificate to get one story.

For the VAST majority of people of all colors who are legally here and U.S. citizens, it's not hard to vote and have a proper ID.

Statistics show it is not a non-issue.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Another tired old twisted and semi-fake story.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join